Darryl from New Shannon on KXNO shows

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Maybe you were/are too used to it. Trust me, if you grow up in southern Iowa everybody in NE Iowa sounds like Fargo Lady.
Yeah good point. The best was spending a week in SW Kentucky for work. All the locals asked if I was from New York.

• Funny
  • Haha
Reactions: RezClone and NWICY

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
One my favorite accent days was when I had to work at one of the dock warehouses in New Orleans. Strange mix of English, Creole, and something else. The supervisor there looked like the huge dude from the Green Mile. Only understood the last two words of every sentence which was-- "MotherF*****!"

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
To my ears, most rural Iowans from south of I-80 have a southern accent.

That being said, I know I sound like an extra from the set of Fargo to them.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
I worked around Centerville for a few months last year and occasionally heard the weird southern accents. My wife’s uncle lives in the middle of Illinois and inexplicably has a southern accent when no one else in his family from the same town does. I don’t understand it.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
When he "retired" from calling in a while back, I thought for sure he was going to start calling in normally and show it was all an act.

Although I still think it might be an act, I'll say I'm less convinced the longer it goes on.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Can someone post a clip of one of his calls so those of us from outside the area can have an idea?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
220px-PaulRhoads.jpg
Not only did he have a drawl but sometimes in interviews he'd get to stuttering pretty bad, which I always felt bad about.
It made me less judgemental when it came to stuttering because Paul is a very, very bright guy (just not a good HC).

• Optimistic
Reactions: CyBobby

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
One my favorite accent days was when I had to work at one of the dock warehouses in New Orleans. Strange mix of English, Creole, and something else. The supervisor there looked like the huge dude from the Green Mile. Only understood the last two words of every sentence which was-- "MotherF*****!"

Early in my professional career I was at a seminar with young engineers from all over the country. There was one kid from Mississippi. He had the thickest accent I'd ever heard. About 3-4 days into the class he'd evidently been called on it one too many times. He spoke up in the class quite loudly, "I don't talk any different from y'all!" It was quite funny.

That said, I love to listen to different accents and different word usages that are regional. One I've noticed from southern Iowa is they pronounced 'fish' FEESH. And the dog leash is a LISH.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Early in my professional career I was at a seminar with young engineers from all over the country. There was one kid from Mississippi. He had the thickest accent I'd ever heard. About 3-4 days into the class he'd evidently been called on it one too many times. He spoke up in the class quite loudly, "I don't talk any different from y'all!" It was quite funny.

That said, I love to listen to different accents and different word usages that are regional. One I've noticed from southern Iowa is they pronounced 'fish' FEESH. And the dog leash is a LISH.
Creek or crick?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Odd deal. All of my relatives who live out west - Arizona, Seattle, etc. - tell me I have a southern accent. A twang, if you will. But my relatives who live in the south - who have REAL southern accents - don't notice a thing. Where you live probably has a lot to do with what you hear.

If you have a southern accent......the southerners would not notice because to them you sound just like them.....wouldn't that be correct?

I'm not picking up any twang from your posts though.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Odd deal. All of my relatives who live out west - Arizona, Seattle, etc. - tell me I have a southern accent. A twang, if you will. But my relatives who live in the south - who have REAL southern accents - don't notice a thing. Where you live probably has a lot to do with what you hear.
I tend to think you’re an alien because I am always floored at you (insert: haven’t seen this movie, heard this song, haven’t heard of this person).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron