Dahl's in trouble?

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
It was nice when it opened, and cheap. And then degraded from there.

Even toward the end when it was going downhill it was still better than Dahl's. Everything is overpriced, stores are dirty, and their off-brand stuff is borderline inedible.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Even toward the end when it was going downhill it was still better than Dahl's. Everything is overpriced, stores are dirty, and their off-brand stuff is borderline inedible.
The Dahl's store brand stuff is just down right awful, and I think I've gotten store brands just basically everywhere, Aldi included. We got some CT Crunch like 2 weeks ago and I just threw the box away after I tasted it, it was some type of substance that doesn't absorb milk, definitely created in a lab somewhere.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Speaking of grocery stores has anyone else seen the new WalMart commercial going after HyVee directly?

That's the first time I've seen WalMart go at regional companies before in ads.

I'm sure Wal Mart may be the cheapest for groceries but I just can't bring myself to doing it. Plus I would much rather support a company like Fareway or even HyVee.

I saw that too. And I thought to myself, I will gladly pay 10% more on my grocery bill to not actually step foot inside a WalMart.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
The Dahl's store brand stuff is just down right awful, and I think I've gotten store brands just basically everywhere, Aldi included. We got some CT Crunch like 2 weeks ago and I just threw the box away after I tasted it, it was some type of substance that doesn't absorb milk, definitely created in a lab somewhere.

Yea, I got some of their off-brand yellow cake mix (Always Save). Cake didn't rise, had clumps in it and didn't taste like yellow cake. Not even sure I can describe what it tasted like. I don't even want to talk about the can of ravioli I bought there.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
I don't like making two stops so until Fareway gets a craft beer selection that rivals the HyVee I frequent, I'm a HyVee guy no matter how much cheaper Fareway is.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

I know packaging isn't necessarily an indicator of quality, but their off-brand stuff looks the same as the fake food packages from my kid's kitchen playset.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I would shop at Fareway but for two problems - one, I can't shake the feeling that everything in their stores smells like a butcher shop. Two, they're closed on Sunday which is the day I do my grocery shopping for the week. I will buy meat there if I'm hosting a barbecue or anything like that.

The Sunday thing is annoying when you forget about it, but I respect them for doing that. Surely they are leaving a lot of money on the table, especially in areas where they aren't the only game in town.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The Sunday thing is annoying when you forget about it, but I respect them for doing that. Surely they are leaving a lot of money on the table, especially in areas where they aren't the only game in town.
Yes and no. The majority of their customers who are loyal plan around the store being closed on Sundays so they do their shopping on another day.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Yes and no. The majority of their customers who are loyal plan around the store being closed on Sundays so they do their shopping on another day.

I know I was one for a long time. (and based on some google-mapping inspired by this thread, might become one again)

I think they will see more of it as this urban expansion continues. Sunday seems to be the busiest day for other stores, by far, so it's just another obstacle to converting people with pre-existing habits.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Are people actually "loyal" to a grocery store?

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
I've been going to the Dahls in Ames the last 3 years. I have zero complaints. Certainly isn't crowded, but as a shopper, how is that a negative?

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I've been going to the Dahls in Ames the last 3 years. I have zero complaints. Certainly isn't crowded, but as a shopper, how is that a negative?
Food sits on the shelf forever because nobody is there to buy it. The bread aisle is the worst.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Interesting response on Dahl's Facebook page to a post. You will need to click into it.

View attachment 25026

It is interesting that they didn't come out and deny it.

Yeah...there would be nothing positive about them closing IMO so if it happens, I only hope that it is due to a buyout. People have mentioned stores that are dead, but several arent'. namely the one on Ingersoll and the one in NW Des Moines on Merle Hay. These are both strategically located so they don't have any close competitors.

Also, the one in Beaverdale has a monopoly, but it is so small, I can't tell you the number of times I've left that store not being able to get everything on my list.

Anyway, hoping for the best.

Reactions: CyDude16