Cytown Update

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Anything on updates to the Audio/video systems in Hilton? Our current score/video board is over 15 years old in Hilton, from what I can find, which is more than double the length of time between when we upgraded from the last one to this current one.

Watching games this year around the Big 12 it does seem like ours is getting outdated. WVU has an Awesome video board, which is assume is almost brand new.

I am wondering if there is any plan to upgrade out video board and add ribbon boards? Is it part of the main package to upgrade the Hilton Concourses that keeps getting pushed back, or is that just for the concourses and exterior etc?

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Anything on updates to the Audio/video systems in Hilton? Our current score/video board is over 15 years old in Hilton, from what I can find, which is more than double the length of time between when we upgraded from the last one to this current one.

Watching games this year around the Big 12 it does seem like ours is getting outdated. WVU has an Awesome video board, which is assume is almost brand new.

I am wondering if there is any plan to upgrade out video board and add ribbon boards? Is it part of the main package to upgrade the Hilton Concourses that keeps getting pushed back, or is that just for the concourses and exterior etc?
Yes I would definitely say our video board is outdated. Both in video quality and even size. I might have missed it but any Hilton renovation stuff I have seen I can't remember it discussing a video board update unfortunately.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Hilton 100% needs a new scoreboard and new speakers. I think the music audio this year has been brutal.

Reactions: 2speedy1

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

There's a plan for everything. It all comes down to where it slots in on the cost/priority list.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Dr. Wintersteen is well thought of in major ag circles so I could imagine she'd have some good influence that a "Deere/Case/Vermeer" type of large donor would be interested in.
Why is she well thought of?

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
Well I take it back then. That is sad.

The family does realize they can sell it right...lol. Mabye its caught up in the estate or something?
Probably decent value for a BK right off I35 that is brand new. Or just let it rot I guess? doesn't seem like a great plan either.
Those BKs were pretty crappy. Even being a somewhat new (last 10 years) building on 13th St it was pretty run down and greasy the last time I was in there around 2019.

I've heard maybe it'll become an Olive Garden.

• Haha
Reactions: cedarstrip

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Summer of 2006 So 17 years now. . Comparably, from what I can find daktronics (who supplied our video board back then) estimates the lifespan of its screens to be about 10 years (and older boards may have had shorter estimated lifespans). And it shows. When you look at the screens you can see a lot of dead pixels up there.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Summer of 2006 So 17 years now. . Comparably, from what I can find daktronics (who supplied our video board back then) estimates the lifespan of its screens to be about 10 years (and older boards may have had shorter estimated lifespans). And it shows. When you look at the screens you can see a lot of dead pixels up there.
Want.....

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
The Ames mall thing was still being discussed and proposed in like 2004 as Jordan Creek was opening, they weren't the same developers.

The developer of the Ames mall ended up going bankrupt. Partially the reason the development never got off the ground.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City

JTS could use an upgrade in the scoreboard/sound system as well. The NEZ scoreboard has been there a while now.

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ and alarson

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Want.....

Looks like a video explosion. Gave me a headache. Need to see it in use for a game.

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
looks like A3 and D3 could be torn up during season if everything goes to schedule on that.
Thats the current A4 and D4 lots that would be demoed for the season. But it seems like D1 and D2 get merged to D1, and D3 becomes D2 and all that would be done by football season which seems awesome.
Seems like small parts of B6 and C6 will be redone with the building pads down and chunks of those parking spots gone too.

Interested how this all plays out.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Thats the current A4 and D4 lots that would be demoed for the season. But it seems like D1 and D2 get merged to D1, and D3 becomes D2 and all that would be done by football season which seems awesome.
Seems like small parts of B6 and C6 will be redone with the building pads down and chunks of those parking spots gone too.

Interested how this all plays out.
Yeah, there is going to be some reconfiguring done. I just dont know how much will follow this plan, or if the final plan will be done different, and if the timeline will be the same.

If it follows this, It looks like there may be a couple areas of construction going on and out of use for the season....or they could get ahead and have them done, or pause things for the season, my guess is there are some variables involved. And part of the reason parking passes arent going to be issued until later to see what will and wont be done or available.

Dec 23, 2019
https://www.storycountyiowa.gov/1140/Current-Projects - the “Natural Resource Areas” proposal creates some giant hurdles for development. I’m acutely aware of this because a developer that has been sitting on some land near us started clearing acres of trees, presumably so he won’t have to deal with it in a few years.

I don’t know how it settled or if it is ongoing, but the county was also pushing back hard on the Ames 2040 plan, and the city council seemed less than pleased.
This is off topic for this whole thread, but I'm interested to hear more how you see Ames as pro-growth and the county is actively prohibiting growth. My experience has been the exact opposite. The natural resource plan I haven't dove into much yet so I can't speak to that other than it may restrict rural development, nothing inside Ames jurisdiction. The urban fringe plan is ambitious growth by the City and will lock up a very significant portion of land surrounding the current City from any development or modifications until annexation occurs which there is no plan for. I see this as stalling any likely development through the new agreement.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Developers have purchased land around Ames or looking to purchase and want to annex. By not allowing annexation they can’t develop, also the county would still have the same restrictions on that land around Ames so extremely limited development would be allowed with no annexation allowed under the county plan. It would definitely hamstring Ames. I follow local govt pretty closely and would agree current county board is less friendly to growth/dev. By limiting the available land I could see cost for what is available getting jacked up even more too.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Pat