Cyclones State of Iowa Champs?

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
With Drake beating UNI last night does that make ISU mythical state champs? Drake finished in state play 1-3, UNI 2-2, and Iowa and ISU 2-1. Since the first tie breaker is always head to head and the Clones won in Iowa City that should make us state champs! Will we be awarded the four sided triangle trophy that some TV station sponsors for this stellar achievement?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
The real question is does anyone care? I would much rather be in the position Iowa is in, with a close loss to ISU, but two solid wins in a row, one on the road, 3 conference wins, and a probability of getting 5-6 conference wins and momentum going into next season.

ubuntuCAT

Oct 4, 2007
With Drake beating UNI last night does that make ISU mythical state champs? Drake finished in state play 1-3, UNI 2-2, and Iowa and ISU 2-1. Since the first tie breaker is always head to head and the Clones won in Iowa City that should make us state champs! Will we be awarded the four sided triangle trophy that some TV station sponsors for this stellar achievement?

No, only the first UNI/Drake game counts for this super duper important award. UNI, Iowa, and ISU all went 2-1 and Drake went 0-3. Not really sure who wins it.

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
No, only the first UNI/Drake game counts for this super duper important award. UNI, Iowa, and ISU all went 2-1 and Drake went 0-3. Not really sure who wins it.

Well, that's stupid. If that is really how it works, I'd give it to us anyway because we were the only team of those three to play 2/3 on the road then. :yes:

ubuntuCAT

Oct 4, 2007
Well, that's stupid. If that is really how it works, I'd give it to us anyway because we were the only team of those three to play 2/3 on the road then. :yes:

Well they have to pick one of 2 games between UNI/Drake or it wouldn't be a fair competition. Not that I really care about this but I do wonder who wins it. Seems reasonable for ISU to win cuz 2/3 were on the road.

ETL2424

Nov 9, 2008
At this point, it really seems unimportant. The wins against Drake and Iowa were two months ago, which feels a lot longer than that. Now we're in the midst of a major losing streak with no real end in the near future.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
The only time you can be State Champ is to beat all the other schools. None of this "2-1 and we were on the road for most of them" business. That's like using BCS standings to determine which Big 12 south school goes to the conference championship game...

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

The only teams that would claim a state "championship" without actually beating everyone is Drake and UNI. No WAY Iowa or ISU should be claiming anything unless they sweep. Even then, I would just say we beat Iowa or Iowa beat us. UNI having a few good years doesn't elevate them to rival in my book.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
The way I figure it, each team gets 1 point for a win except for UNI/Drake games in which each team gets 0.5 points because they play twice. Two-way ties are decided by head-to-head games. Three-way ties result in three-way co-champs.

If you figure it this way, we just won our 9th mythical state title (22 have been played and there was one three-way tie). Iowa has won 8, UNI has won 4 and Drake has won 3.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I'm pretty sure UNI and/or Drake are the only ones that use this pitch in recruiting. Doubt we're trying to sell the Peter Jok's of the world on the fact we're "mythical state champs".

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
The real question is does anyone care? I would much rather be in the position Iowa is in, with a close loss to ISU, but two solid wins in a row, one on the road, 3 conference wins, and a probability of getting 5-6 conference wins and momentum going into next season.

Have you seen the big ten this year? Minus OSU and Wisky, they are terrible and overrated. And Iowa just beat MSU(who has gone drastically downhill) and Indiana(the worst team in the big ten). I would call those solid wins.

ubuntuCAT

Oct 4, 2007
The way I figure it, each team gets 1 point for a win except for UNI/Drake games in which each team gets 0.5 points because they play twice. Two-way ties are decided by head-to-head games. Three-way ties result in three-way co-champs.

If you figure it this way, we just won our 9th mythical state title (22 have been played and there was one three-way tie). Iowa has won 8, UNI has won 4 and Drake has won 3.

That wouldn't make sense. Two teams would have to win 3 games while the other two would have to win 4 games which is obviously more difficult.

I'm fine with the first UNI/Drake game being the one that counts. (If anyone really cares).

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
The way I see it, to win the mythical state championship, a team must go undefeated against whatever in-state school they face. If no school comes out undefeated against the rest, then there is no mythical state champ.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Yes! Congratulations! You win at being the best of Iowa's tremendous basketball powerhouses! Now do the state proud and bring home that NCAA Division I Championship Trophy!

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
That wouldn't make sense. Two teams would have to win 3 games while the other two would have to win 4 games which is obviously more difficult.

I'm fine with the first UNI/Drake game being the one that counts. (If anyone really cares).

The whole state of Iowa champs discussion doesn't mean much except to those who don't look to compete on a more national stage.

That said, the last contest between teams always has scoreboard when it comes to comparing teams. Previous games are yesterday's news.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron