Cyclones add post transfer Isnelle Natabou

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Marc - you’re a broken record - we’re all Cyclone fans and we all want the team to do well. We can have different opinions about CBF and still love the team - you’re not a better fan than I am because of your unwavering loyalty to Fennelly, so I’d ask you to cease and desist with the bait tactics. We’re all thrilled with a 6’4 inch center being added, especially one with personality and a history of success! Can’t we all just get along and enjoy the good news, at least for a day or two?
As an objective observer I’d say he has as much right to say what he wants as you do even if you don’t like it.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Her FIBA U20 European Women’s Championship bio says 6’4. That’s tall enough for me to be thrilled! I’m more inclined to believe FIBA than a college Sports Information Director, but you do you.
I heard Isnelle is 6'4 &1/2 and over 6'5" with lifts.

runningcy

Oct 16, 2008
Ames
I like her swag! She will definitely bring us something we haven’t had in awhile a big true 6-5 center that bangs around the basket and with Crooks and Zinagro we are def deep at the center spot with true post up all night centers

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Lot of post depth now makes you wonder how the minutes will get divided up. Natabou will likely be the starter at the 5 and Diew at the 4 which is probably more of a natural spot for her anyways. The one thing Natabou won't be is someone that can step out and knock down a 3 once in awhile as she took zero 3 point attempts in 2 years. I like what I have seen of her highlights, physical presence in the paint and hits a high percentage of shots. Just over a block a game too on defense.

Should be a battle for the remaining post minutes with the freshmen gals and Zingaro. I don't expect Crooks to see the floor much her freshman season to be honest. It's a big jump up in quality of competition and I think the bigger gap for her will be on the defensive side but I can also see some struggles offensively too where she is no longer the biggest player on the floor by a lot where she can just shoot right over everyone. It's no knock on her, I think she has a great attitude and some upside but will likely be somewhat of a project early on in her career.

Reactions: Aclone

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Should be a battle for the remaining post minutes with the freshmen gals and Zingaro. I don't expect Crooks to see the floor much her freshman season to be honest. It's a big jump up in quality of competition and I think the bigger gap for her will be on the defensive side but I can also see some struggles offensively too where she is no longer the biggest player on the floor by a lot where she can just shoot right over everyone. It's no knock on her, I think she has a great attitude and some upside but will likely be somewhat of a project early on in her career.
Natabou buys Crooks the time she needs to work on her game and conditioning. I'm hoping Crooks is in the Courtney Paris mold and will be very effective in her minutes.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
(Snipped)
I don't expect Crooks to see the floor much her freshman season to be honest. It's a big jump up in quality of competition and I think the bigger gap for her will be on the defensive side but I can also see some struggles offensively too where she is no longer the biggest player on the floor by a lot where she can just shoot right over everyone. It's no knock on her, I think she has a great attitude and some upside but will likely be somewhat of a project early on in her career.

This is probably the most realistic evaluation of Ms Crooks that I’ve seen on here.

After hearing and reading about her for a couple of years, I finally got to watch some of her state tournament minutes this year.

I was left wondering.

Sure, the post early about her having great hand eye coordination, touch, and sense of where the basket is is true. Very true. Those are her strengths.

Well, along with strength.

So my actual impression of her was…Victor Alexander. Clearly. Only, she gets off the floor less—which is saying a lot. An awful lot.

Small school competition, and I watched her get her flat footed shot blocked by a smaller girl. She doesn’t run the court well, she doesn’t move her feet on defense. And in the Big 12, last I looked, 6’3” is going to be an undersized center. No more easy shooting over people—or blocking shots.

So it’s going to be an adjustment for her, though she clearly doesn’t need the “S” part of a college S&C program as much.

I hope it works out for her to learn how to best utilize her strengths. After all, Big Vic learned to—and wound up a first round pick.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Lot of post depth now makes you wonder how the minutes will get divided up. Natabou will likely be the starter at the 5 and Diew at the 4 which is probably more of a natural spot for her anyways. The one thing Natabou won't be is someone that can step out and knock down a 3 once in awhile as she took zero 3 point attempts in 2 years. I like what I have seen of her highlights, physical presence in the paint and hits a high percentage of shots. Just over a block a game too on defense.

Don’t sell the freshwomen short. A McD AA is not going to ride the bench at Iowa State. I think Addy Brown will start at the 4. Issy will need back-up, so Audie could easily get 15 minutes. Ny can play 2,3, or 4, but with Brown and Bristow available, she won’t see much 4. Who I see as starters based on the current roster will be a lot of length:
PG - Emily
SG - Ny
SF - Bristow
PF - Brown
C - Issy
Joens, Crooks, and Belanger will be the primary back-ups.

Would still like to see a Div 1 guard transfer that can shoot and play some PG.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Don’t sell the freshwomen short. A McD AA is not going to ride the bench at Iowa State. I think Addy Brown will start at the 4. Issy will need back-up, so Audie could easily get 15 minutes. Ny can play 2,3, or 4, but with Brown and Bristow available, she won’t see much 4. Who I see as starters based on the current roster will be a lot of length:
PG - Emily
SG - Ny
SF - Bristow
PF - Brown
C - Issy
Joens, Crooks, and Belanger will be the primary back-ups.

Would still like to see a Div 1 guard transfer that can shoot and play some PG.
IMO, we need to see the results of conditioning for Crooks resulting in running the floor and getting off the floor (jumping) on both the defensive and offensive ends, for her minutes to be more than sparse.

runningcy

Oct 16, 2008
Ames
Needless to say we have depth and options!!! A lot of fresh faces but a lot of options shooters and post and luckily a veteran PG in Emily!!

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I may be optimistic, but I won’t be surprised to see Zingaro play significant minutes at the beginning of the season. I also won’t be surprised to see Diew limited to about 10 min per game.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I may be optimistic, but I won’t be surprised to see Zingaro play significant minutes at the beginning of the season. I also won’t be surprised to see Diew limited to about 10 min per game.
I agree Zingers will likely play over Crooks to begin the year, but Diew limited to 10 means Bristow and Brown combine for 70?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
No…just means I think we have depth that will displace Diew unless she gains some consistency.
Help me understand.

3 posts, are you thinking we could play 2 at a time?

Ryan, a 5'7 transfer and two 5'10ish freshmen. Think we go three guard?

Personally I thought Brown could play some 2?

Are we looking for another forward?

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
How about playing Diew at the three?

Brown and Bristow play the 4? Bristow also the 3?

Crooks, Izzy and Izzi at the 5.....