Cyclone TV fail

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Product is great! I don't think it's rocket science though finding a provider who can actually deliver the product to it's customers. I'm hoping they are just tied up in a long term contract with Neulion and will be switching once it's over. There are a billion streaming services out there that could get the job done. That or maybe they need to invest in a little more bandwidth.

I wonder how many providers exist for this sort of thing. Are we stuck with NeuLion because that's just the available company?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I wonder how many providers exist for this sort of thing. Are we stuck with NeuLion because that's just the available company?

NeuLion is the partner for the entirety of cyclones.com, not just the video streaming portion. Ditching NeuLion because of its video player would result in having to find a new partner/provider for the whole site.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

There are some other companies out there. The Big 12 and some of the original Big 12 schools use NeuLion (OU, ISU, NU, CU), but other Big 12 schools use CBSi Advanced Media (KSU, OkSU, TCU, BU, TTU). UT and KU are using SideArm sports. I could be remembering incorrectly, but at one time I thought more Big 12 schools used NeuLion.

Another issue could be how much bandwidth ISU is paying for.

Last edited:

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Im officially dropping it. I like having it in August for practice vids, but thats about it. The 30 second adds are nauseating. The content is generic and a lot of is it free.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think the real problem is Neulion. I was never trying to be negative towards the people who work hard for this product. I enjoy the content, and love being able to watch all my basketball games when I have had to work during their times. I love Walters.

Having said that, the player is terrible, and as it stands now, we are watching 30 second adds for sometimes a 60 second video. That is unacceptable. I would pay two to three times what I pay now, just so I don't have to watch those adds.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Horrible idea, imo. Even if they were "among the best in computer business" they would typically have little to no experience on how to run and maintain a national website. They may have good ideas out of the gate, but it would become a maintenance nightmare passing it from class-to-class each semester or year.

High school newspapers are a great example of what I'm talking about. You have kids that sign up for this class, on a yearly basis, who then get to learn and maintain an online stream based tv product. Makes perfect sense to me. They will have seniors to teach the freshman. It would be a great learning tool for our software students, to design players, web page, etc.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I love it. I've rarely had trouble with buffering and anytime that I have, it has been my computer. Clear some history and it always works fine.

It's so cheap and I almost consider it a donation to the athletic department. A lot of great content is free, but I enjoy the game replays.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I pay $60 a year since I do the auto renew each August.

Same here. I can stomach $60/year. If I had to pay the full $80 I might think twice about renewing.

You nailed it, Cyclone.tv= pollards Branding. Out of State alum get nothing. Bevo wins......

Ya, us out-of-state people not getting the Texas game really ticks me off. At least I can listen to the radio feed I guess. Who knows, maybe the local ISUAA club will get the texas feed for a gamewatch (volume turned down of course).

I haven't even seen the 24-7 Cyclones.tv channel yet. I think it would be cool to see it streamed online for Cyclones.tv subscribers who aren't in-state. Is that even a possibility?

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
Tell it bro!

I emailed Neulion and Cyclone.tv about them ending the live broadcast exactly when CFH was going to speak on 03/14/2014 (Big 12 tournament game, Niang bloodied, amazing game, huge win, etc). WTF, right?

When I didn't hear back from them, after a week, I sent both another email. Here's the response I got two months later:

Kilgore,

Our staff has kept me abreast of several of your recent interactions with them. I am very disappointed to know that, especially since you are a former student-athlete.

Yesterday I was copied on the correspondence below that you shared with our staff following the Big 12 tournament. Although I highly doubt you are withdrawing all of your current and future donations to our department, I want you to know I am perfectly fine if you do so as your language, attitude and actions are completely uncalled for and highly inappropriate. I have asked our staff to continue to keep my abreast of your interactions with them. If they do not improve you will not need to withdraw your donations, we simply will choose to no longer accept them and will discontinue your tickets.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics
Iowa State University
Jacobson Athletic Building
Ames, Iowa 50011-1140
(515) 294-0123
"Follow me on Twitter @IASTATEAD"

Moral of the story nobody cares unless you say the service "sucks ***". Then some work study student will send you an offensive email. I was livid at the time, but whatever. I will say this though

Neulion/Cyclone.tv SUCKS ***!

I clicked the link to the receiver and tight end newcomer video. It shows a Miami of Ohio interview. WTF!

Last edited:

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Um, to get that reaction from Pollard must mean you were being a complete ******* ******.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Tell it bro!

I emailed Neulion and Cyclone.tv about them ending the live broadcast exactly when CFH was going to speak on 03/14/2014 (Big 12 tournament game, Niang bloodied, amazing game, huge win, etc). WTF, right?

When I didn't hear back from them, after a week, I sent both another email. Here's the response I got two months later:

Kilgore,

Our staff has kept me abreast of several of your recent interactions with them. I am very disappointed to know that, especially since you are a former student-athlete.

Yesterday I was copied on the correspondence below that you shared with our staff following the Big 12 tournament. Although I highly doubt you are withdrawing all of your current and future donations to our department, I want you to know I am perfectly fine if you do so as your language, attitude and actions are completely uncalled for and highly inappropriate. I have asked our staff to continue to keep my abreast of your interactions with them. If they do not improve you will not need to withdraw your donations, we simply will choose to no longer accept them and will discontinue your tickets.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics
Iowa State University
Jacobson Athletic Building
Ames, Iowa 50011-1140
(515) 294-0123
"Follow me on Twitter @IASTATEAD"

Moral of the story nobody cares unless you say the service "sucks ***". Then some work study student will send you an offensive email. I was livid at the time, but whatever. I will say this though

Wow, so you were a jerk in electronic communication? Look at how shocked I am:

this-is-my-bored-face.jpg

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com

Wow! That's an interesting response from Pollard. What did you say in your email(s)?

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
I said "sucks" in one email and "sucks ***" in the other, referring to Neulion/Cyclone.tv. Two months later I got an email full of inaccuracies and typos. I was not a huge jerk about it. I was mostly upset because they both ignored me and then I got that stupid email with ADJP's signature at the bottom two months later.

Presumably, he didn't send it personally.

I responded with: "You could've just said "Sorry"".

That's the last of it. Never heard back from anyone. I don't care anymore but at the time...

PS. A customer should be able to have an opinion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron