Cyclone TV fail

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I dont think anyone is complaing about the people who put it together or the content. I've had it before and liked the programming.

But I'll add another post to the video player and site format/browsing structure suck. Only because by adding more negative posts about it, maybe they will realize if they chose better vendors for both, more people would subscribe.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
I think it's a fantastic product! John Walters and the rest off the staff do an amazing job. It seems like they are always trying to make it better. Though the latest two videos are linked to Miami of Ohio and Towson (who'd of thought they'd have a channel!)

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Coming up on 12,000 posts in 3 years but you can't be bothered to shell out $80 a year to support ISU's media production? Especially when you get a whole lot out of it? The more people that sign up the better the production will be, and the more stuff they'll be able to cover.

What does posting on a message board have to do with cyclones.tv?

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Well, it seems to be a lot better than what we had 3 years ago, WHICH WAS NOTHING you damn fool. I don't know about you, but my expectations are not real high for $6.75 PER MONTH.

There is FAR more wrong with cyclones.tv that is probably completely beyond ISU's control. I would like them to create a class that allows our students, among the best in the computer business, the ability to maintain and manage the site. I'm pretty sure at this point the entire thing is out sourced to leirfield.

The menu system for one is absolutely terrible. It takes ten years to find a video, even if you already know where it is. I can go to youtube and find half the games faster. The server is always over-burdened. That is why it drops, and doesn't connect, and redirects. Unacceptable in my opinion for a school that gives out a special degree for computer science.

Again it may be out of their control, but with the money the fans are putting up, I think they can make cyclones.tv, educational, public, and fantastic. It has a long ways to go.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Well, it seems to be a lot better than what we had 3 years ago, WHICH WAS NOTHING you damn fool. I don't know about you, but my expectations are not real high for $6.75 PER MONTH.

Am I the only one who looks at your login ID and suspects that you intended for it to be "farted" with "cy" in the middle of it?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I know out of state people can't watch it, but the actual Cyclones TV channel works great.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
There is FAR more wrong with cyclones.tv that is probably completely beyond ISU's control. I would like them to create a class that allows our students, among the best in the computer business, the ability to maintain and manage the site. I'm pretty sure at this point the entire thing is out sourced to leirfield.

The menu system for one is absolutely terrible. It takes ten years to find a video, even if you already know where it is. I can go to youtube and find half the games faster. The server is always over-burdened. That is why it drops, and doesn't connect, and redirects. Unacceptable in my opinion for a school that gives out a special degree for computer science.

Again it may be out of their control, but with the money the fans are putting up, I think they can make cyclones.tv, educational, public, and fantastic. It has a long ways to go.

Horrible idea, imo. Even if they were "among the best in computer business" they would typically have little to no experience on how to run and maintain a national website. They may have good ideas out of the gate, but it would become a maintenance nightmare passing it from class-to-class each semester or year.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I would have an annual sub if they had a Roku channel or smart tv app, or something to make it easier than having to airplay/chromecast or plug your computer into the tv to watch something on it. It's a shame Neulion doesn't have something to step into the next generation of online channels for them.

Hopefully they can break away from the current set-up and be able to have something more tech friendly. Heck, you can't even watch it on Ipads or Iphones without downloading a seperate app because they are flash based.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
and you would be wrong. CycloneTV is run by some very dedicated people..very few, but they work their ***** off to give you what you have...and with the same staff they've been give the task of providing Mediacomm television feed. Man...the thing is dirt cheap and gives unique content. I suspect it could be free and people would still find a reason to moan and groan about it. Bottom line...don't like it don't subscribe.

The poster you replied to wasn't complaining about the content, which seems to be what you are talking about. The complaint was about the web infrastructure that hosts the content, and those complaints are well-justified. As has been mentioned, the NeuLion media player is not good, and their servers seem to be overburdened during games.

I will continue to subscribe, because I want to support this endeavor at ISU, and being out of state, it affords me the opportunity to watch ISU events that I would otherwise not see. That doesn't mean I should be satisfied with a video feed that often is throttled down to super-low definition or cuts out completely. And before you mention it, the problem is not my equipment or Internet connection. I have no trouble with YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.

There are better, more robust hosting solutions out there, and hopefully ISU is either looking at other options, or pushing NeuLion to get their act together. As someone else mentioned, if the ISU AD really wants to sell this product, the technical delivery of the video stream is going to have to get better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Judoka

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
What does posting on a message board have to do with cyclones.tv?

Because it means you spend a lot of your time on things having to do with Cyclone athletics, but can't be bothered to support the generation of more and better cyclone athletics content.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
What is with all the "well just support the university" crap. You don't think we should hold them accountable to not delivery the service in such a terrible manner? That sort of thinking only leads to the athletic department thinking "hey we dont need to worry about picking out good vendors who offer decent service as fans will support us regardless."

I love the Cyclone Fued series during the tailgate tour and couldn't even make it through the first half of an episode without it freezing, buffering, dropping out, or insanely lagging where the video and sound didn't sync at all.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I think the staff-produced content is great and I think it would be a fun "station" to work for.
I will echo Neulion sucking and also the amount of ads you have to sift through on the site seems to be up by a ton this year.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I don't envy my friends at Cy TV. They work soooo hard but what I have realized with our podcast over the last few months is how difficult online broadcasting really is. Most difficult challenge I have faced in my career. It's brutal, and that's with a relatively small site like this. I can't imagine trying to pull off some of the things they do, with fewer resources than most.

My advice (not that you asked for it), is to give it time. The product will continually get better and better.

The folks working there 1) are fantastic people and 2) CARE so much about the product. That's the most important thing, IMO. If you can afford it, I would support them just because of that.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Ads always run no problem, video will buffer.

That's probably the most annoying part for me. I can only assume their platform is based off of realplayer.

EUqPxtc.jpg

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't envy my friends at Cy TV. They work soooo hard but what I have realized with our podcast over the last few months is how difficult online broadcasting really is. Most difficult challenge I have faced in my career. It's brutal, and that's with a relatively small site like this. I can't imagine trying to pull off some of the things they do, with fewer resources than most.

My advice (not that you asked for it), is to give it time. The product will continually get better and better.

Product is great! I don't think it's rocket science though finding a provider who can actually deliver the product to it's customers. I'm hoping they are just tied up in a long term contract with Neulion and will be switching once it's over. There are a billion streaming services out there that could get the job done. That or maybe they need to invest in a little more bandwidth.