Cryptocurrency

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I mean, he really nailed it on the internet, right? Great track record on tech. Sorry for the low hanging fruit, but this one will always be a real laugher.

"By 2005 or so it will become clear that the internet's impact on the economy will be no greater than the fax machine"

--Krugman

Well, it appears you've been following him closely for 20-odd years and documenting his "misses"--that, or you're relying on some unnamed source for this information.

He also completely missed on inflation. He even wrote an article explaining his wrongness.

Krugman is a known partisan source for economic opinion who caters to readers who have zero knowledge of the matter and focuses on straw man attacks of political adversaries. He hasn't contributed anything meaningful to his field in years. Hell, his Nobel was for work done in the 1970s.

Whatever.

If you dig him, great. But the whole, well...Krugman thinks so doesn't hold a lot of water for me.
Never said I dug him, but, yeah, I think he knows a lot more about economics than I do, and when he confirms my suspicions about cyber currency, I'm going with that.

Last edited:

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
Early money was precious metal. The metal held the value. We now have fiat currency. Issuer of fiat currency credibility becomes the largest factor in currency value.

FTX is worthless cryptocurrency. Issuer makes a difference.

You are making the flawed assumption that goes something like this:

History of money.

1. Barter
2. Shells
3. Precious Metal
4. Fiat
5. None. Go back to 4.

Also, like shells and precious metal, there is no issuer of bitcoin.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016

History of money.

1. Barter
2. Shells
3. Precious Metal
4. Fiat
5. None. Go back to 4.

You sound like a real expert on economics, especially since you declare a Nobel prize winner (Krugman) to be irrelevant and his readers (and, by extension, his students) to be ignorant. What are your credentials on this topic? Do you have a related degree?

Last edited:

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006

History of money.

1. Barter
2. Shells
3. Precious Metal
4. Fiat
5. None. Go back to 4.

5. Central Bank Digital Currency? Bitcoin relagated to the collectible market like baseball cards.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

History of money.

1. Barter
2. Shells
3. Precious Metal
4. Fiat
5. None. Go back to 4.

1-3 happened at the same time. Their is no progression., Until 4.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

History of money.

1. Barter
2. Shells
3. Precious Metal
4. Fiat
5. None. Go back to 4.

Shells and precious metal have physical value.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
The collapse of FTX and the prosecution of Mr. Bankman-Fried have been a major blow to the crypto industry, which has reeled for months as the prices of digital assets such as Bitcoin and Ether have plunged and a procession of major companies have filed for bankruptcy. The sudden implosion of FTX has unsettled customers of other crypto trading platforms, which are scrambling to assure investors that their money is safe.

siklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 11, 2010
Minneapolis
If I deposit gold into a bank and they rehypothecate it a thousand times, go under and lose all their users funds, there isn't a problem with the gold itself. There is a problem with the bank and those regulating the bank.

I'm not advocating for the scam coins that FTX was pushing. Bitcoin is not crypto. You're conflating the two. It's like saying the internet and an intranet are the same thing, when they are fundamentally different. One is centralized that can be manipulated and coerced while the other decentralized and transparent.

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
The collapse of FTX and the prosecution of Mr. Bankman-Fried have been a major blow to the crypto industry, which has reeled for months as the prices of digital assets such as Bitcoin and Ether have plunged and a procession of major companies have filed for bankruptcy. The sudden implosion of FTX has unsettled customers of other crypto trading platforms, which are scrambling to assure investors that their money is safe.

Here is an excellent analysis and exploration of the current money problem. You can't understand Bitcoin until you understand the issue at hand. That doesn't mean you would be convinced enough to invest. But I think people would less flippantly dismiss it.

Reactions: siklon