courtney messingham, can we fire him now?

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
This season is pretty much in the gutter, but I hope we fire him at the end of the year. There just hasn't been any improvement and why Wimberly isn't playing boggles my mind.

For the 1000th time, he's injured.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
So tell me, in 2006 did you find the Mizzou game more entertaining when we lined up in the I and ran Ryan Koch down their throat, or one of the many other games that year when we ran the spread and couldn't move the ball en route to getting beat?

This. I would love nothing better than to see us come out with 2 TE and the I and hammer people with Woody all game long.

View attachment 22741

2009ChEClone

Oct 13, 2012
Why did it seem like all I saw today on 3rd downs were speed options or 10-15 yard curl routes by the sideline, depending on the yards needed.

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
Say what you want, it doesn't matter I was expressing my opinion that after watching the Iowa/OSU game and watching Iowa run 3 TE sets, run power to the right, run power to the left, throw a bootleg pass the one of the TE's. I was not entertained, thought it was boring and would not want to watch that every week. If I wanted to watch that I am sure there are plenty of pee wee football games were I could go watch.
This is different from read option right, read option left, bubble screen, punt how?

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
We can't just change to a power offense like that. We've recruited a type of player to run this offense. Changing our style sets us back 3-5 years.

With the big 12, I don't see a power running football team winning much. Offenses these days are insane. You're going I have to put up 40+ in most games to win.

If we had an insanely good D, then maybe a power offense could work. That's not happening though.
LOL - Bill Snyder

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Maybe Tom Osborne will come out of retirement to be our OC? :jimlad:

[video=youtube;5suq0zOg4OU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5suq0zOg4OU[/video]

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
With Collin Klein yes. What about this year when they don't have a heisman contender running their offense.
Your logic is highly flawed. You do not need a high-powered or flashy offense. You do not even need 40+. What you need is efficiency. Your offense needs to score on a higher percentage of its possessions than its opponents. There is nothing about Big 12 defenses that suggests a running-centric offense, even a power running offense, would not do just that. The value of TOP is often overstated, but an offense that limits the number of possessions of each team is ideal for a program likely to be at a talent disadvantage.

Last edited:

AgCyclone

May 7, 2013
Ames
I say we fire him, and we hire some coach off Oregon's offense like a WR coach or Oline coach. We could offer them the OC job and they could bring the same offense Oregon has. Oregon used to get 3 stars and 2 stars but with there fast pace they could out play USC.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We can't just change to a power offense like that. We've recruited a type of player to run this offense. Changing our style sets us back 3-5 years.

With the big 12, I don't see a power running football team winning much. Offenses these days are insane. You're going I have to put up 40+ in most games to win.

If we had an insanely good D, then maybe a power offense could work. That's not happening though.

First, other than not having a true fullback, what needs to be different about the players we recruit? We have always had 2-3 decent TEs, and SR and Rohach are a lot more Rudock than Braxton Miller. On OL we are recruiting the same type of athlete that Iowa has been. The difference is they've developed theirs and to this point we haven't developed able starters.

Second, part of the reason you need to score 40 points is because pretty much everybody runs a 2 minute offense the entire game, resulting in an extra 3-5 positions every game.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Say what you want, it doesn't matter I was expressing my opinion that after watching the Iowa/OSU game and watching Iowa run 3 TE sets, run power to the right, run power to the left, throw a bootleg pass the one of the TE's. I was not entertained, thought it was boring and would not want to watch that every week. If I wanted to watch that I am sure there are plenty of pee wee football games were I could go watch.

I find it very entertaining if done right... By right I mean someone that can call plays at the right time, with excellent timing... If that is the spread, three backs, three tightends, pro style, what ever it is, it can work if the person running it knows what they are doing and has the IT factor, or Timing factor. That does not exist in Ames. Personally, I love defense, and boot legs. I find that kind of football perfect, because its simple, and again if done correctly always works. Its not the style of football that makes it good football. Your play calling has to have timing, you have to be ahead of the curve. If you have that, you can run any kind of offensive scheme and win.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Everyone... You dont have run up the middle every play with a power football team. In fact the way this season is going we should be throwing more 30 yard down field passes then ever before.. Why? Because why not? If we hit on 15% of them we will score more TDs then we are now.

That being said you can do this with 2 back sets, you can do this with 2 tight ends on the field... You can do this from under center and from shotgun. We do everything from the same stupid sets that dont work.

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
We need Sage to come in and take over as OC. He was a QB in the NFL for 10 years. Thats what he's done his whole life for a living is read defenses. Look at Hoiberg, he had no previous coaching experience and he's done alright. I say we give him a shot. This way he could also coach the QB's (which is Mess's position right now anyway)

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
I say we fire him, and we hire some coach off Oregon's offense like a WR coach or Oline coach. We could offer them the OC job and they could bring the same offense Oregon has. Oregon used to get 3 stars and 2 stars but with there fast pace they could out play USC.

I love the idea but if you don't have fast guys then whats the point. It's a great idea however. I was thinking similar. What if we brought in some pinch-coaches for few weeks. John Gruden comes to mind or Jimmy Johnson to try and see if they could reshape the team with the talent we have. It's just difficult to determine winning and losing with coaching vs. talent.

ISUpadre

Aug 2, 2013
USA! USA!
I love the idea but if you don't have fast guys then whats the point. It's a great idea however. I was thinking similar. What if we brought in some pinch-coaches for few weeks. John Gruden comes to mind or Jimmy Johnson to try and see if they could reshape the team with the talent we have. It's just difficult to determine winning and losing with coaching vs. talent.

No Herschel Walker to trade. :twitcy:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron