Could Wesley play his way to the NBA THIS Year?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I don't put a ton of stock in NBA scouts at our games meaning a guy may leave early.

Exactly. There's usually at least 1 NBA scout at every conference game, and some of the bigger non-conference matchups (like Minnesota). Depending on the game, it could even be upwards of 5-6.

During the Fizer/Tinsley era, 4-5 scouts at a game was fairly commonplace with some games nearing 10.

ajjohnson

Sep 25, 2006
Just watch Wes and Scottie handle the ball, their jumpshot without a lot of arc, their physique... its uncanny.

Thats a bit ridiculous if you ask me. I don't see Wes as one of the top 5 picks in the NBA draft, one of the 50 greatest of all time, and someone who people argue is the best defender of all time. I see him as someone with the potential to be a first team all conference player, a first round draft pick, and a starter in the NBA. There is a bit of a difference last time I checked between Jamaal Tinsley and Magic Johnson, lets hope Wes continues on the path to be a player the level of Jamaal, but there is a long way to go.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Wes is really coming into his own. I think he will be gone after he accomplishes something at ISU, and I don't think that truly happens until his senior year. Next year will be a good one, but his senior year will be something special, barring something unforeseen.

That will be ISU's reemergence on the national scene, IMO. I predict 20 or so wins next year and 25+ the year after.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
I think the guy will be gone after next year for sure. He is just so talented, one of the most talented players anyone in this state has ever had.

I know that is saying a lot, but from the first few games he played at ISU, that guy just oozed ability...and he is nowhere near his upside.

I think there is a chance that he could play his way into the first round of the NBA draft this year.

Jon - any Hawks leaving early? (To the pros, not jail).

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think the only things holding back Wesley this year is the fact that while his ballhandling is improved he does get it knocked away a lot. He's still a somewhat streaky shooter, (3 for 6 from the floor today, 0 for 7 the previous 2 games) and he hasn't shown the ability to consistently defend guards this year but I have no idea how much that is due to the injury.

If Wesley keeps improving I highly doubt we keep him after next season. He's old for a sophomore, and it is in his best interest to get to the NBA asap especially if he has the ability to be a first round pick.

If we do end up losing him to the NBA it would be great to get Rodney Williams in that '09 class to soften the blow.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
He's still a somewhat streaky shooter,

That reminded me that Wes had at least 3 shots halfway down yesterday. He could have had 30 pts. easily if the ball bounced better for him.

But he traveled on a couple of moves, too, so I guess it all evens out.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
His ball handling has improved immensely from last year but I think he still has some work to do. I wouldn't advise him to leave until he has atleast 20-30 pounds more of muscle on him.

He would probably play SF in the league because he is not strong enough to guard PF's.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think Wesley has a great future in the league, but if he's playing SF, here is a list of guys he's going to be playing against:

Carmelo
LeBron
Tayshaun Prince
Shawn Marion
Andre Kirilenko
Peja
Rashad Lewis
Gerald Wallace
Artest
Odom
Josh Smith
Richard Jefferson
Caron Butler
Igoudala
Ricky Davis
Mo Pete
Rahshon Clark (hopefully!)

I mean that's just the start of the list.

Wesley is a great player and I truly think he'll end up one of the best Cyclones ever, and probably have one of the best NBA careers of any we've had. I love Wesley but he's going to have to get better to play with those guys and he knows it I'm sure. While we all cite his improved ballhandling some of those guys would eat him alive defensively. He'll need at least one more year.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
When Mac was asked "Will Wesley stay all 4 years?" His response was "I hope so."

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Wes is nowhere near ready after this year. Next year, barring any injury, he would likely be in position to leave if he chose to.

I do believe that he will be here for 4 years however. I think he respects being a Cyclone and I think he wants to be remembered as fondly as RC will be.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Wow! I was thinking the same thing. A lot of his misses were almost down but he got away with at least 2 obvious travels.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
His fake drive and step back J is so NBA.

Defenders in the NBA will not honor a fake drive unless a guy has established the drive as an offensive weapon. Wes isn't there yet even after getting some time at the point with the touring team that he was on last summer.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Wes definately has the frame and skills to play in the association. But he needs to bulk up as well as improve his defense, ball handling, shot creation,etc.

If he continues to improve as much as he has since he got here, the conversation may come up after his junior year, but most likely he is a four year player

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
Before the season started, many on this board were saying that there was no way Wes is a 2 guard because of ball handling and outside shooting, despite that being his position in high school. Now we are talking about him leaving to the NBA after this year. I think he needs at least another year and probably two. His numbers have to be a little higher and he has to increase exposure to get his drafts stock up. I hate to even talk about next year, but I see him moving to the 3 and Lucca playing the 2. If that happens, that will be Wes' third position in three years as a Cyclone. I think he is the most versatile Clone we have had in a long time. I see him playing in the in NBA after he gets stronger and refines his skills even more. He is a great athlete.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
You don't have to be ready to get drafted in the NBA. If all Wesley has to do is bulk up, it'd be a lot easier to do if he didn't have to worry about going to class.

I'd be surprised if he was a first round talent this year, but if he is, I think he should go for it. If he goes off for 25 against Rush and Chalmers...

CycloneTony

Nov 3, 2007
Indianola
I think as cyclone fans we all want him to stay. Would any of you guys honestly pass up 200,000 a year at minimum ( not knowing what minimum salary is) I would be tempted. But what we have going for us fans is he is not really from any ghetto his mother is probably not living off welfare checks they seem to me to be a great family if they can raise him. So if he has no immediate resons to leave maybe he wont?