Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It’s primarily all concentrated in one location of the town.

I’m going to guess vet, doesn’t travel out MLK very much.
Lol, you talk like you know everything about it yet are being proven wrong by others living around there. How many years has it been since you were there?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I hear what you are saying about poor people down there, and yes working at Tyson’s would suck, but it’s not like they are working hard for peanuts. They get paid a fair wage and have the opportunity for advancement out there if they prove capable.

It’s truly the best job, other than possibly Ryder, most of them can hope to get.

The loss of that job would be crushing. That’s why they will go to work sick.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Lol, you talk like you know everything about it yet are being proven wrong by others living around there. How many years has it been since you were there?

Youve never been there. And you obviously comprehend what you read at an embarrassingly low level.

those are the people I grew up with. So, yeah, I have a better understanding than you do.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Youve never been there. And you obviously comprehend what you read at an embarrassingly low level.

those are the people I grew up with. So, yeah, I have a better understanding than you do.
I have been there. I just don’t live there, and neither do you.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I have been there. I just don’t live there, and neither do you.

Are you from there? Do you know many people from there? I mean, It’s obvious you don’t care what happens to these people, or anything about their lives.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Not arguing here, but wondering on these because the answers don't seem to be there.

Should there be increased funding to help with aspects like mental illness and alcoholism? Those things don't just start happening in people because of the last two months. Should there have been more proactive measures to prepare for it?

Since packing plants have had to shut down regardless of orders, there was going to be a back up. What's the plan there?

If a restaurant has most of its staff sick, can it run? How long does it shut down for it to be safe for patrons to fill it consistently for business? It's not like if a place has a fire or water leak or something. How confident are people going to be to go back to a single place that had a viral infection run through its front and back of house and it's not clear if they're recovered?

Would the people that don't feel safe working be compensated? How so?

What was the plan for these aspects back when the information came out about this virus in case a quasi-ban from one country wouldn't be enough? Who should have been giving directions on it?

Obviously, we have been caught with our pants down as far as preparation and planning (hopefully we can use this experience to handle it much better in the future), and it has exposed some weaknesses and stupidities that have worked into our system. And, I agree, the initial reaction amounted to not reacting at all.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
That’s the reason I’m not touching the stock market until at least after the election. There’s too many rich and powerful people that want the economy to tank. I am 100% cash in my 401(k) and stock account.

Reactions: Doc

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
That’s the reason I’m not touching the stock market until at least after the election. There’s too many rich and powerful people that want the economy to tank. I am 100% cash in my 401(k) and stock account.

giphy.gif

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Are you from there? Do you know many people from there? I mean, It’s obvious you don’t care what happens to these people, or anything about their lives.
Again with this argument. I am not from Waterloo. But I want for everyone to be well.

Is my hope for them to be well not legitimate because I'm not from there?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
that’s enough of this thread. There are a group of posters who refuse to follow the rules and refuse to post in the Politics forum despite being requested multiple times.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The CDC just came up with some interesting stats.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

Graphs don't translate well on here, so in summary, they go through various scenarios based on what they know to date, and then come up with a best estimate (with what seems to be roughly a middle ground to their various scenarios):

Their symptomatic case fatality rate comes in at .004 (.4%) overall, with (as noted previously in the thread, I think) about 35% asymptomatic. Which I believe translates to an overall case fatality rate of .0026 (.26%).

For reference, the best case scenario appears to be .002, with 50% asymptomatic, which puts it at .001 and worst case scenario .010, with 20% asymptomatic, which puts it at .008.

Might want to check my math on all that, but I think it's accurate.

Reactions: isutrevman
Status
Not open for further replies.