Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
One of the more weird and arbitrary management edicts I've heard of.
Really weird, especially for a small company. Its not like its hard to keep track of that many employees. When this first started my employer just said we had to notify them where we were traveling and what we were doing and they would decide if extra precautions were necessary, and there are way more employees to keep track of where I work.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We have a 50 mile travel policy at work. If you travel over 50 miles you are to report and self quarantine for 14 days. I don't have plans to break it but I know several employees that own boats and campers. The closest lake skiable lake is 61 miles away. I dont own a camper or boat. We only have about 80 employees. How is that going to be enforceable? Or is it just there to encourage staying home, it was initiated the middle of March.

Yeah these types of things are hard to monitor.

If someone traveled over 50 miles, camped in a space and didn't interact with a single other person and was far from other people, how does that justify a quarantine?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah these types of things are hard to monitor.

If someone traveled over 50 miles, camped in a space and didn't interact with a single other person and was far from other people, how does that justify a quarantine?

They have to out a blanket policy out there because they can't trust everyone to do the right thing. Our policy is leaving Iowa requires a quarantine. But those on the boarders don't have to travel far to do that.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Yup and I have a family member that works at hospital in Waterloo, the hospital/ICU is not seeing increases in hospitalization. Virtually no hospitalization/death from any of it. Other than a week in April its been low hospitalization for COVID-19.

Because the people getting it in Waterloo can't afford to go to the hospital. They have to be on their death bad to consider it.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
They have to out a blanket policy out there because they can't trust everyone to do the right thing. Our policy is leaving Iowa requires a quarantine. But those on the boarders don't have to travel far to do that.

This seems like an odd policy as well, given that infection rates in neighboring states don't seem to be all that different from Iowa.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Remember when the state said that around 400 Tyson employees tested positive. Turns out the actual total was over a 1000.
Assuming this is the quote you are referring to ?
"The 444 cases reported by the governor were confirmed PCR positive cases done from the on-site testing done at Tyson," says Joshua Pikora, the Disease Surveillance & Investigation Manager at the county's health department. "Our numbers, the 1,031 reported cases, includes those positive test results from the on-site testing, positive test results from local health care providers, as well as the positive serology testing to give us the complete picture of scope of illness in our county “

Reactions: Acylum

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Because the people getting it in Waterloo can't afford to go to the hospital. They have to be on their death bad to consider it.

I thought it was law for hospitals to accept all emergency situations regardless of insurance/payment status.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Did anyone else see that Reynolds is going to stop reporting on the number of hospitalizations? Explain that.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The pence plane was delayed because another staffer tested positive. They’d have an outbreak if they weren’t testing everyone often. But they think we should go back to normal without adequate testing.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
On the coronavirus.iowa.gov website it used to show how many people in the specific county have recovered, but ever since they did the “update” it’s not there any more. It was one of the key features I was looking at every day, hopefully that gets fixed.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
We have a 50 mile travel policy at work. If you travel over 50 miles you are to report and self quarantine for 14 days. I don't have plans to break it but I know several employees that own boats and campers. The closest lake skiable lake is 61 miles away. I dont own a camper or boat. We only have about 80 employees. How is that going to be enforceable? Or is it just there to encourage staying home, it was initiated the middle of March.
My brother works for the Secondary Road Dept in Carroll County. He said that they put in the latest change in their handbook that they arent supposed to leave the county till December 31st of 2020. He talked to his boss and said he realized that most people were not going to be able to follow that for that long but did that instead of having to change it if something happened down the road.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
My brother works for the Secondary Road Dept in Carroll County. He said that they put in the latest change in their handbook that they arent supposed to leave the county till December 31st of 2020. He talked to his boss and said he realized that most people were not going to be able to follow that for that long but did that instead of having to change it if something happened down the road.

Just curious why you disagreed with my prior post?

How would an employer know if you left the county or 50 mile range for the weekend?

If you lived in Des Moines and went to visit family in Davenport for the weekend how would they know? If you went to a campground 100 miles away for the weekend how would they know? They wouldn't unless you made it known that you went there.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
I'm legitimately surprised that someone saying "people who don't have insurance or money in the bank will only go to the hospital if they absolutely have to or else they think they are about to die" is apparently a controversial statement.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Just curious why you disagreed with my prior post?

How would an employer know if you left the county or 50 mile range for the weekend?

If you lived in Des Moines and went to visit family in Davenport for the weekend how would they know? If you went to a campground 100 miles away for the weekend how would they know? They wouldn't unless you made it known that you went there.
Must of hit it by accident cause I didnt mean to hit disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.