Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Also there’s the possibility that maybe they can work in some form of remote work. It wouldn’t be perfect but I could see a set up where a teacher teaches from another location for some time. Part of the problem is you just can’t do remote learning exclusively. You can probably manage some limited specific aspects of it.

Centerville is doing Google Classroom for all their MS and HS kids, they have an A/B schedule and are doing lectures and assignments on that forum, twice a week.
But just like us, its not mandatory, and only suggested that the kids log in and do the assignments.

I have sent out 2 assignments to all my kids, since staring last Tuesday, I would say I am getting around 30% of the kids doing the work. and sending it back to me.
One family that I have three kids from the older sister has sent back her assignments but her younger brother and sister have sent back nothing so far. Its really been hit and miss.

I asked my principal last week about Prom and other year end activities and she flat out stated, "there will be prom this year, It might be in July, but I have spent $400 on my daughters dress and she will be having a prom night!". I get the feeling that many parents feel that same way in our smaller rural communities.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Looks like Des Moines is scheduled to be done with school in a little over a month. That seems to be a lot of logistics to just start things up where they left off along with more mixed messages.

Des Moines has announced they are done for the year no matter what kim says.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Centerville is doing Google Classroom for all their MS and HS kids, they have an A/B schedule and are doing lectures and assignments on that forum, twice a week.
But just like us, its not mandatory, and only suggested that the kids log in and do the assignments.

I have sent out 2 assignments to all my kids, since staring last Tuesday, I would say I am getting around 30% of the kids doing the work. and sending it back to me.
One family that I have three kids from the older sister has sent back her assignments but her younger brother and sister have sent back nothing so far. Its really been hit and miss.

I asked my principal last week about Prom and other year end activities and she flat out stated, "there will be prom this year, It might be in July, but I have spent $400 on my daughters dress and she will be having a prom night!". I get the feeling that many parents feel that same way in our smaller rural communities.

I believe there is one school in central Iowa that is making online mandatory for HS.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Funny thing is I know some that are either *this* close to retiring or could have retired but stayed on because it was just what they did...wonder if they're reconsidering.

Issue with taking a new job is the loss of benefits for meds re: pre existing conditions.

I have hit my rule of 88 and could have retired this year, but many like me, are worried about insurance, and how much it would cost if we purchase it outside our existing group plan.

I plan on going another 3 years, that will put me a few months short of 62 and being able to draw SS and IPERS when I retire.

Reactions: CascadeClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Des Moines has announced they are done for the year no matter what kim says.
Unless governor Reynolds says schools are back, then the DM schools will have to figure out what they are doing. Because days would be short.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have hit my rule of 88 and could have retired this year, but many like me, are worried about insurance, and how much it would cost if we purchase it outside our existing group plan.

I plan on going another 3 years, that will put me a few months short of 62 and being able to draw SS and IPERS when I retire.
Doesn’t your school allow you to buy in their school plan when you retire?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yep, which sounds insane.

But imo so does putting a bunch of people at risk, and causing another flare up.

This will probably be the case in many aspects of the economy...how much is too much?
One of the people from Washington working on their model was talking about this last night on the news, and he said once we get this down to a manageable number through social distancing by midsummer we should have the testing and infrastructure to control this much better through isolation and contact tracing to keep it manageable without shutting society down again. We will figure something out. Right now we are buying time to find better solutions to the problem. There are more options than "wait for a vaccine" or "just let everyone die".

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Unless governor Reynolds says schools are back, then the DM schools will have to figure out what they are doing. Because days would be short.

I’m pretty sure they are transitioning to online. I just don’t think they are wasting time thinking they will be back in the buildings.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
One of the people from Washington working on their model was talking about this last night on the news, and he said once we get this down to a manageable number through social distancing by midsummer we should have the testing and infrastructure to control this much better through isolation and contact tracing to keep it manageable without shutting society down again. We will figure something out. Right now we are buying time to find better solutions to the problem. There are more options than "wait for a vaccine" or "just let everyone die".

of course.

but with the inept handling of this it is hard to imagine testing and tracing will be ramped up.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So what's the answer for kids and teachers and parents with pre existing conditions?

Not arguing, just a conversation that will be needed.

Kids feels easier as they can stream from the classroom. Not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Teachers are trickier. I'd think they'd have to do some sort of special medical leave package for a year. Maybe you could have them develop the lessen plan remotely and have an aide or student teacher in the actual classroom. Probably all depends on the grade level we're talking about. Kindergarten teachers probably requires in person teachinn more than high school.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Kids feels easier as they can stream from the classroom. Not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Teachers are trickier. I'd think they'd have to do some sort of special medical leave package for a year. Maybe you could have them develop the lessen plan remotely and have an aide or student teacher in the actual classroom. Probably all depends on the grade level we're talking about. Kindergarten teachers probably requires in person teachinn more than high school.

My kindergarter loves this online part, but she gets really anxious with the noise in kindergarten and crowds, and loves being able to go slamming through stuff this way.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
So what's the answer for kids and teachers and parents with pre existing conditions?

Not arguing, just a conversation that will be needed.

You have to have a “leave” option or unpunished quarantine.

But you can’t shut down schools for a whole year and a half without irreparably harming a whole generation.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Doesn’t your school allow you to buy in their school plan when you retire?

No, once you retire, you are on your own. Hell last year our school year ended in May, but the teachers had a couple of days in June to work. A couple that were retiring were told that they did not have to work those days since they had retired. They thought that was great, until they were also informed that their insurance stopped on the last day of May.

We lost last count 7 teachers from the district this year, all of them will lose their insurance on June 1st, even though they will continue to be paid through August.
Its one way for a small school to save money. We no longer have collective bargaining in the state, that was taken away 3 years ago, the only thing we can bargain for is salary and that is capped at 3%.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You have to have a “leave” option or unpunished quarantine.

But you can’t shut down schools for a whole year and a half without irreparably harming a whole generation.

My wife is a teacher, she understood when she took the job that she would be in a situation where illnesses and other things would be rampant. While this one is scarier at this point, she knows that this is the profession that she picked and knows that it is up to her come August to handle the situation she is in. Whether that be better hygiene methods, PPEs, any vaccines or meds available, or a different job if that is required.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
My kindergarter loves this online part, but she gets really anxious with the noise in kindergarten and crowds, and loves being able to go slamming through stuff this way.

But kindergarten is also a lot about developing socially too. That noise and crowds aren't going away when they get to 1st grade. The sooner they can get comfortable, the better. So maybe they'd end up ahead in the learning content, but this will put a lot of young kids behind socially. Especially kids that didn't go to daycare or have much pre-school time.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
But kindergarten is also a lot about developing socially too. That noise and crowds aren't going away when they get to 1st grade. The sooner they can get comfortable, the better. So maybe they'd end up ahead in the learning content, but this will put a lot of young kids behind socially. Especially kids that didn't go to daycare or have much pre-school time.

I'm aware of that.
We did preschool and early-K, and found that this gets more pronounced as we go on.
I suspect that social won't really be her thing with a lot of people.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No, once you retire, you are on your own. Hell last year our school year ended in May, but the teachers had a couple of days in June to work. A couple that were retiring were told that they did not have to work those days since they had retired. They thought that was great, until they were also informed that their insurance stopped on the last day of May.

We lost last count 7 teachers from the district this year, all of them will lose their insurance on June 1st, even though they will continue to be paid through August.
Its one way for a small school to save money. We no longer have collective bargaining in the state, that was taken away 3 years ago, the only thing we can bargain for is salary and that is capped at 3%.

The wife's school allows you to purchase insurance from them when you retire. You will be on their plan. Why the wife's district hasn't had rate increases over a percent or two for several years. They had a lot that retired and bought in. They hit medicare about three years ago and the average cost per individual has dropped dramatically in her school. I buy outside of the plan for myself and three kids, it is cheaper for me to max out everything than just the cost of the insurance through the school.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'm aware of that.
We did preschool and early-K, and found that this gets more pronounced as we go on.
I suspect that social won't really be her thing with a lot of people.

Good luck and I hope this goes well moving forward for her. Obviously every kid is different, but my daughter did OK with school but really hated any "free for all" type things where kids informally made groups, and the chaos made her dislike school. Whether it kids getting older and more mature, her adjusting and knowing more people, or a combination, she gradually did better and better. It was a slow process, but really liked school by 4th-5th grade. One thing that really helped was she was really into basketball, so we started a team in 5th grade, and that was a good thing for her to use to socialize and gain confidence. Going to middle school was another adjustment, and the first year was tough. She is wrapping up 8th grade, and had a terrific year, and really enjoyed it. She is really looking forward to HS next year.

I do know a couple kids that really had/have anxiety issues and have tried to attend full-time but ended up part- or full-time homeschooled. What I understand from those parents is that in Ames the support varies a fair amount by individual elementary school. I really don't know, just relaying what they have shared.

Not sure if it applies, but I found a book by Susan Cain called "Quiet" (can't recall subtitle) helpful in understanding and helping my daughter navigate.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Good luck and I hope this goes well moving forward for her. Obviously every kid is different, but my daughter did OK with school but really hated any "free for all" type things where kids informally made groups, and the chaos made her dislike school. Whether it kids getting older and more mature, her adjusting and knowing more people, or a combination, she gradually did better and better. It was a slow process, but really liked school by 4th-5th grade. One thing that really helped was she was really into basketball, so we started a team in 5th grade, and that was a good thing for her to use to socialize and gain confidence. Going to middle school was another adjustment, and the first year was tough. She is wrapping up 8th grade, and had a terrific year, and really enjoyed it. She is really looking forward to HS next year.

I do know a couple kids that really had/have anxiety issues and have tried to attend full-time but ended up part- or full-time homeschooled. What I understand from those parents is that in Ames the support varies a fair amount by individual elementary school. I really don't know, just relaying what they have shared.

Not sure if it applies, but I found a book by Susan Cain called "Quiet" (can't recall subtitle) helpful in understanding and helping my daughter navigate.

I'll check it out.

She's way too much like me in these settings.
We did a video response for her math work yesterday. She lot up, fired off, communicated like a pro.
We looked at the optional video just saying hi, and nothing. Im not sure either of us function without a script or plan, purpose, whatever. We're not small talk people.

Status
Not open for further replies.