Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Minimal data, heroic assumptions in the models, super early in an exponential system, reality changing due to changing behaviors which wreck the models... it's a fools errand to even try modelling this thing.

That said, you have to try anyway, just to have better idea of what you could be up against, and how seriously you need to respond to it. D+ answer is better than no answer at all...

And unfortunately we may be finding out what not to do when any sort of reopening begins.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Everyone I know in education believes school is over for the remainder of the school year.

Yep. My uncle is a High School Principal. They're trying to figure things like a virtual commencement out already. Also sounds like the DOE is working on which core requirements they can eliminate for kids currently in 9-11 as they've basically lost half a year.

Their biggest concern is that kids are all going to try to meet and have a 'Prom' somewhere. That's just asking for the virus to spread.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
One issue, if it was being considered, is DM public schools have cancelled the rest of the year. Not sure what would happen there in that situation.

Looks like Des Moines is scheduled to be done with school in a little over a month. That seems to be a lot of logistics to just start things up where they left off along with more mixed messages.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm just hoping we have school next year at this point. I'm not even sure that will happen.

There's plenty of teachers I know that would not be able to work due to it being unsafe from pre-existing conditions. Also students with asthma, etc.

Some places do maternity leave or similar for up to a school year I think so maybe there would have to be a similar system for that until a reliable vaccine is available.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
There's plenty of teachers I know that would not be able to work due to it being unsafe from pre-existing conditions. Also students with asthma, etc.

Some places do maternity leave or similar for up to a school year I think so maybe there would have to be a similar system for that until a reliable vaccine is available.
If that is the case, we could be looking at 2 years plus with no school. Even though some parents are trying to home school, I wonder what kind of development issues there could be with kids going that long without school.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If that is the case, we could be looking at 2 years plus with no school. Even though some parents are trying to home school, I wonder what kind of development issues there could be with kids going that long without school.

Yep, which sounds insane.

But imo so does putting a bunch of people at risk, and causing another flare up.

This will probably be the case in many aspects of the economy...how much is too much?

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Looks like Des Moines is scheduled to be done with school in a little over a month. That seems to be a lot of logistics to just start things up where they left off along with more mixed messages.
DSM is using the remainder of this school year to figure things out so they can roll it out for next school year if needed.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If school doesn't start next year, school boards will have a mess on their hands. There will be people asking why they are paying for education in their property taxes and income taxes when their kids are receiving very little instruction (if schools are unable to require online instruction of the kids), especially if several of the parents are laid off.

My wife is doing online instruction now, and several of the kids are doing zero since it is not mandatory. She is also getting complaints from parents that she is assigning too much, but her total is about two hours of work a day whereas they would spend about five hours in instruction in the school.

Reactions: CycloneErik

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If school doesn't start next year, school boards will have a mess on their hands. There will be people asking why they are paying for education in their property taxes and income taxes when their kids are receiving very little instruction (if schools are unable to require online instruction of the kids), especially if several of the parents are laid off.

My wife is doing online instruction now, and several of the kids are doing zero since it is not mandatory. She is also getting complaints from parents that she is assigning too much, but her total is about two hours of work a day whereas they would spend about five hours in instruction in the school.

Yep, it's going to be a **** show.

I'm also concerned with what they deem as 'essential' in schools and make cuts that lead to even worse situations when things do come back.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yep, it's going to be a **** show.

I'm also concerned with what they deem as 'essential' in schools and make cuts that lead to even worse situations when things do come back.

Right now, the hourly individuals are getting full pay and benefits at my wife's school. I would say those would be the ones dropped if online is started. They usually have a pretty good list of people wanting to be aids and assistants so they would probably be ok. In fact one is mad and wants to get laid off since they would make more between that and the new 600/week unemployment bump.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Doubt it. That starts to swerve into the area where the societal harm from shut down outweighs the dangers of the virus

So what's the answer for kids and teachers and parents with pre existing conditions?

Not arguing, just a conversation that will be needed.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So what's the answer for kids and teachers and parents with pre existing conditions?

Not arguing, just a conversation that will be needed.

I guess there is a point where they would have to weigh the risks themselves. I know it sounds cruel, but you can't shelter 100% of a segment to take care of a few percent of the population for years or more. My wife can retire at 55-56. She started a year after she graduated college. So retirement, or a job change may be something they have to consider. They may need to find a job that they can preform on-line. Kids may need to be home schooled or online also. Parents, they would have to see what is in their best interest also.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I guess there is a point where they would have to weigh the risks themselves. I know it sounds cruel, but you can't shelter 100% of a segment to take care of a few percent of the population for years or more. My wife can retire at 55-56. She started a year after she graduated college. So retirement, or a job change may be something they have to consider. They may need to find a job that they can preform on-line. Kids may need to be home schooled or online also. Parents, they would have to see what is in their best interest also.
Also there’s the possibility that maybe they can work in some form of remote work. It wouldn’t be perfect but I could see a set up where a teacher teaches from another location for some time. Part of the problem is you just can’t do remote learning exclusively. You can probably manage some limited specific aspects of it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Also there’s the possibility that maybe they can work in some form of remote work. It wouldn’t be perfect but I could see a set up where a teacher teaches from another location for some time. Part of the problem is you just can’t do remote learning exclusively. You can probably manage some limited specific aspects of it.

I'm in education and seeing how much more vital it is for in-person interaction from both ends. Said it earlier or in another thread but for districts that do paid leave for maternity or new parents, or other medical procedures like surgery, cancer, etc., maybe the same is done for those with medical concerns.

Maybe cut pay a bit including for the long term substitutes in that situation.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I'm in education and seeing how much more vital it is for in-person interaction from both ends. Said it earlier or in another thread but for districts that do paid leave for maternity or new parents, or other medical procedures like surgery, cancer, etc., maybe the same is done for those with medical concerns.

Maybe cut pay a bit including for the long term substitutes in that situation.
I agree. Who knows what it will look like but there is zero chance we are like this in the fall. I think people might need to be flexible in the fall but there will be school in some form.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Funny thing is I know some that are either *this* close to retiring or could have retired but stayed on because it was just what they did...wonder if they're reconsidering.

Issue with taking a new job is the loss of benefits for meds re: pre existing conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.