Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The argument is over. Reynolds has already conceded it, even if her proxies haven't.

She implicitly conceded it last week when the planning tool she relies on but wouldn't share with the media leaked. If you're already executing a SIPEIWDCIT (Shelter In Place Even If We Don't Call It That) then why would you need a planning tool to trigger an SIP - the very policy you say you've already implemented?

She explicitly conceded it this morning when she revealed that the SIPEIWDCIT isn't anything like an SIP at all because there are actually numerous other businesses she can close and enforcement she can bring to bear, that for some unknown reason hasn't done until weeks into the crisis.

It isn't, and has never been, about the SIP itself. It's about whether she was being transparent in her own data and decision making, and whether she could assure Iowans she was doing everything she could to fight this. The answer on both counts is no.
As I’ve said what she’s talking about is an actual SIP. That would be one similar to Italy or China. It would be far more reaching than anything any state has currently.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'm actually getting more optimistic that we're going to be at least partially back open in May.

If NY really is at peak right now, we'll be there in 2-3 weeks which gives us 10 days on the backside of the peak and at a point where its reasonable to look at opening things back up. Its not like we can wait until there is zero risk.

I'm even to the point where I think schools have a chance to have their last month.

I might just be overly optimistic but I am pretty damn tired of hearing all doom and gloom.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The argument is over. Reynolds has already conceded it, even if her proxies haven't.

She implicitly conceded it last week when the planning tool she relies on but wouldn't share with the media leaked. If you're already executing a SIPEIWDCIT (Shelter In Place Even If We Don't Call It That) then why would you need a planning tool to trigger an SIP - the very policy you say you've already implemented?

She explicitly conceded it this morning when she revealed that the SIPEIWDCIT isn't anything like an SIP at all because there are actually numerous other businesses she can close and enforcement she can bring to bear, that for some unknown reason hasn't done until weeks into the crisis.

It isn't, and has never been, about the SIP itself. It's about whether she was being transparent in her own data and decision making, and whether she could assure Iowans she was doing everything she could to fight this. The answer on both counts is no.

At the end of the day, a lot is also in the messaging and the message it sends people, particularly those who tend to be on her side of things. And because that messaging isnt as firm, with a formal "stay at home" order, it causes less to heed it.

That's not to say that there isnt an improvement over baselline. We've seen drops in mobility. But we've also seen less than say.. our neighbors to the north, or to the east who have had more formal orders that sent a more firm message.

Of course people will bring up anecdotal stories of people not heeding it even in states with a stay at home order, but the data shows that that happens less in states that went fully onboard with this awhile ago.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I'm actually getting more optimistic that we're going to be at least partially back open in May.

If NY really is at peak right now, we'll be there in 2-3 weeks which gives us 10 days on the backside of the peak and at a point where its reasonable to look at opening things back up. Its not like we can wait until there is zero risk.

I'm even to the point where I think schools have a chance to have their last month.

I might just be overly optimistic but I am pretty damn tired of hearing all doom and gloom.

There are some here that will fix that....in a hurry.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

That isn't going to happen if things are only partially opening up. Schools are the ultimate petri dish. Also there's logistics....do you just switch back to normal grades and curriculum? Does everyone need a mask?

I don't think reality is doom and gloom. If someone were saying that 1/2 the country is going to be wiped out, that's doom and gloom.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Yeah I think she's definitely fumbled this a bit. If she doesn't want to call it a SIP, then don't say it's "literally what other states are doing". If it is indeed what other states are doing and she believes she's doing everything she can do and is taking every measure available, what is the point system for? What happens when we get to 10 in one of these regions?

I'm happy with her decisions today. I think these were needed. If these businesses were not already closed before, then I'm glad she's cracking down harder and also is going to start enforcing gatherings to dismiss or else they could be fined. Those are good measures taken regardless of whether they should've been done earlier.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
At the end of the day, a lot is also in the messaging and the message it sends people, particularly those who tend to be on her side of things. And because that messaging isnt as firm, with a formal "stay at home" order, it causes less to heed it.

That's not to say that there isnt an improvement over baselline. We've seen drops in mobility. But we've also seen less than say.. our neighbors to the north, or to the east who have had more formal orders that sent a more firm message.

Of course people will bring up anecdotal stories of people not heeding it even in states with a stay at home order, but the data shows that that happens less in states that went fully onboard with this awhile ago.
There was a good article (by an ISU prof) in the Rag yesterday explaining why those models are trash.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Yeah I think she's definitely fumbled this a bit. If she doesn't want to call it a SIP, then don't say it's "literally what other states are doing". If it is indeed what other states are doing and she believes she's doing everything she can do and is taking every measure available, what is the point system for? What happens when we get to 10 in one of these regions?

I'm happy with her decisions today. I think these were needed. If these businesses were not already closed before, then I'm glad she's cracking down harder and also is going to start enforcing gatherings to dismiss or else they could be fined. Those are good measures taken regardless of whether they should've been done earlier.
If one region hits 10 doesn’t that mean she’ll SIP that region?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
are sex shops still open?

Asking for a friend.

Strip clubs have proven to be among the toughest to close down in plenty of cities.

It makes sense though because when I think of germ free sterilized environments they are right up there.

Robcy

Oct 1, 2018
Coming up with a vaccine is quick (and probably imminent for many to go into wider testing), but...

- New vaccines have to go through a very comprehensive testing program. Otherwise, what happens if the vaccine produces multiple side effects that are irreversible...like cancer, permanently compromised immunity systems, sterility, etc.? You rush something out and end up putting more people at risk than the actual virus. This takes a minimum of 3-6 months. Now, once you get through testing, you are looking at months to actually produce a suitable supply of vaccine. Production on this year's influenza shot (the one you will get this fall) started in January...basically 6-8 months before the shipments go out. This is why most are saying 12-18 months...

Sorry for the long spiel...information came from the spouse who was a vaccine distributor for Sanofi-Pasteur.
Exactly- there is no way to speed up the testing protocol. DrFauci has said that before they are done with the testing phase, they will have vaccine manufactures already ramped up to start immediate production. The government may have to back these companies. That why 12-18 months.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Strip clubs have proven to be among the toughest to close down in plenty of cities.

It makes sense though because when I think of germ free sterilized environments they are right up there.
Maybe they figure those who frequent those places have already built up immunity from everything else they’ve gotten. ;)

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If one region hits 10 doesn’t that mean she’ll SIP that region?
I don't know. She has yet to answer that question when it was asked.. Does 10 mean she starts cracking down on businesses that currently are "essential" and deem them non-essential? Does she force places to go online for workers in that business who absolutely do not have to be in an office? I'm not sure honestly.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I don't know. She has yet to answer that question when it was asked.. Does 10 mean she starts cracking down on businesses that currently are "essential" and deem them non-essential? Does she force places to go online for workers in that business who absolutely do not have to be in an office? I'm not sure honestly.
All I know is that Polk county region and Linn county region will hit 10 by the end of the week likely.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
There was a good article (by an ISU prof) in the Rag yesterday explaining why those models are trash.

No, that article talks about the social distancing scoreboard, which is a much more simplistic measure that mainly just looks at distance traveled. Also, even with that, his inferences that it is entirely wrong due to urban\rural differences miss the mark when you dig into county by county data and see places like Polk County, Iowa seeing less changes in mobility than rural counties in other states (including minnesota)

Google has the backend data to actually identify the types of locations being traveled to. It can identify a reduction in people going to offices, or retail, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.