Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
At the end of the day, a lot is also in the messaging and the message it sends people, particularly those who tend to be on her side of things. And because that messaging isnt as firm, with a formal "stay at home" order, it causes less to heed it.

That's not to say that there isnt an improvement over baselline. We've seen drops in mobility. But we've also seen less than say.. our neighbors to the north, or to the east who have had more formal orders that sent a more firm message.

I agree. And that's why I say it's not about the SIP itself - because what we've done has helped, even if we could be doing more - it's what this whole thing says about her leadership. It's political and public communications malpractice to force yourself, day after day for weeks, to make this arcane argument over a matter of terminology. There are plenty of reasons why you might behave this way, and none of them are good.

She's always been welcome to provide alternative data or explanations at any time. Not bland, substance-free talking points but actual information. She has refused to do so at every opportunity, including today. Again...plenty of reasons to behave this way and none inspire confidence.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
All I know is that Polk county region and Linn county region will hit 10 by the end of the week likely.
Do you know the current number those counties are at? Surprisingly, Reynolds and her team didn't think that question was going to be asked today and didn't have the information to answer that.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Strip clubs have proven to be among the toughest to close down in plenty of cities.

It makes sense though because when I think of germ free sterilized environments they are right up there.
You ever hit up one of those strip club buffets?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

So...Fauci does know what's going on in Iowa?
tenor.gif

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I agree. And that's why I say it's not about the SIP itself - because what we've done has helped, even if we could be doing more - it's what this whole thing says about her leadership. It's political and public communications malpractice to force yourself, day after day for weeks, to make this arcane argument over a matter of terminology. There are plenty of reasons why you might behave this way, and none of them are good.

She's always been welcome to provide alternative data or explanations at any time. Not bland, substance-free talking points but actual information. She has refused to do so at every opportunity, including today. Again...plenty of reasons to behave this way and none inspire confidence.

Yep. That's the weird part about her response. End of the day, as governor she's free to define what 'stay at home order' means- it means something slightly different everywhere. So why resist doing that and just defining it in the way she wants to, while being more effective due to it being a formal order?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
In the UK: Boris Johnson was just taken to intensive care..

I realize that has nothing to do with Iowa, but WOW.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
In the UK: Boris Johnson was just taken to intensive care..

I realize that has nothing to do with Iowa, but WOW.

People may get different levels of care depending on their station in the world but there are so many examples of the virus not giving a **** who you are.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Coming up with a vaccine is quick (and probably imminent for many to go into wider testing), but...

- New vaccines have to go through a very comprehensive testing program. Otherwise, what happens if the vaccine produces multiple side effects that are irreversible...like cancer, permanently compromised immunity systems, sterility, etc.? You rush something out and end up putting more people at risk than the actual virus. This takes a minimum of 3-6 months. Now, once you get through testing, you are looking at months to actually produce a suitable supply of vaccine. Production on this year's influenza shot (the one you will get this fall) started in January...basically 6-8 months before the shipments go out. This is why most are saying 12-18 months...

Sorry for the long spiel...information came from the spouse who was a vaccine distributor for Sanofi-Pasteur.
I read an article this morning that said the Gates (Bill) foundation is planning on building factories and have them set up to start producing the 7-8 vaccines most likely to be successful. The ones that don't get approved will just be shut down. The idea was to either be ready to start mass producing the moment they are approved, or already have some that are ready to be used.

I think are are something like 30 different vaccines that will be going through trials over the next 12-18 months. The hope is that a handful of them can get approved.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Strip clubs have proven to be among the toughest to close down in plenty of cities.

It makes sense though because when I think of germ free sterilized environments they are right up there.

Especially the ones with lunch time buffets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron