Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Great. Why is it "most schools" and not "all schools"? And what is that plan?

And what if a parent doesn't have enough leave or can't get the leave they need? And what if that leave is an hourly job or otherwise unpaid leave and they rely on each paycheck to pay their bills?

look, I don’t know exactly what will happen. Absolutely some have to work. I am hopeful that the school systems will get something in place.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
a lot of people here are very supportive of closing schools, and I get the need for social distancing, but how do we deal with kids whose parents can't work from home? whose parents don't have enough vacation to stay at home? who rely on school lunches as their only true meal of the day? whose parents are forced to stay home and not get paid their normal hourly wage? to me, there are a ton of repercussions to this that could also get disastrous fast
This is what should have been in the works weeks ago - contingency plans. Waiting until the virus is here is the mistake. And I don't care if people think that's a political comment. It's accurate. Deal with it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is what should have been in the works weeks ago - contingency plans. Waiting until the virus is here is the mistake. And I don't care if people think that's a political comment. It's accurate. Deal with it.

It's not even political but is also accurate to say there were public statements by important people, saying the virus was under control.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump and cyson

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I saw a chart and we are right on track with Italy. I don’t know when Italy shut down but we won’t change the course unless we act.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Ankeny as well.

I imagine a lot of dominoes will fall in short order after the governor recommended 4 weeks.

I agree, I got the email 10 minutes ago, shut down until further notice, all the schools around us are doing the same down here in SE Iowa. Its the only way to slow down the spread of the virus. Next should be bars and public place that serves food.
Companies are going to have to bit the bullet on this one, and start telling people to stay at home to slow it down.

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: 2Xclone and cyson

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
That's actually really good information, and it feels like there's not enough of this kind of stuff out there.

I would be interested to see if she actually does test positive. I hope they follow up on this.

It was quite awhile ago now, but I had similar symptoms. It could have been just a mild cold, mostly a persistent dry cough, but it is also possible I’ve already had it. The timeframe was such that I had to consider the possibility. Other possible causative factors suggest that it was just an unusually mild cold. The likelihood certainly suggests a cold, but there is a big overlap with what I’ve read about the symptoms (which include, apparently, little or none).

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I can say that at least with my company who is one of the larger employers in the DM metro they have been planning for contingency plans for weeks now and I would bet this week we start to see some more work from home initiatives enacted. In nearly 17 years I've never had the need for remote access but last Monday I was told to put in a request for it. Still not sure how productive I'd be working from home because about 90% of what I do requires me to be in the office since a bulk of my work is supporting the IT hardware our employees use so unless they have an issue where they at least are still partially functional and are able to be connected to the network so I could remote in most of the stuff I do requires me to physically be in the office.

The people I really am concerned about right now are those in the service industries because a lot of those people have no work from home options and if they start shutting down bars, restaurants, stores, etc. those people probably won't get paid. Even if their place of work is still open and they have kids that now have to stay home they are going to be in a tough spot.

Really hoping that this is not a prolonged inconvenience for us all and the new cases start to level off sooner rather than later. The best we can do is just keep up with hygiene practices and social distancing to protect ourselves and hope for the best. I'm not panicked at all and kept a calm demeanor during all this as statistically living a normal life right now you aren't going to get this virus but the people who are panicked and going to extremes are disrupting our lives right now too by making your normal trips to the store more complicated when what you normally need to buy is completely wiped out. As long as the stores stay open just buy what you need and don't hoard and we'll all get through this.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
If you're a parent of a young child, and can't miss work to stay home with them, you should've been figuring out a plan a couple of weeks ago. The government can't freaking solve everything. Businesses are gonna have to adapt to the situation.

• Agree
Reactions: Dopey

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I was told this evening that daycares (at least the ones in WDM) are going to be told to shutdown for a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.