Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Just read on FB that some people in Ames are doing a 14 day self quarantine due to direct contact with a individual who test positive.

And here we go....
There was an article in the DM Register today by someone in Ames . . .
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...y-trip-woman-shares-illness-story/5053605002/
. . . He [the doctor] also told me that he assumed and expected that I would test positive. Despite my lack of fever and a wracking, hard cough, he said, I otherwise “presented” classic COVID symptoms . . .

Copley305

Apr 10, 2006
a lot of people here are very supportive of closing schools, and I get the need for social distancing, but how do we deal with kids whose parents can't work from home? whose parents don't have enough vacation to stay at home? who rely on school lunches as their only true meal of the day? whose parents are forced to stay home and not get paid their normal hourly wage? to me, there are a ton of repercussions to this that could also get disastrous fast

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
a lot of people here are very supportive of closing schools, and I get the need for social distancing, but how do we deal with kids whose parents can't work from home? whose parents don't have enough vacation to stay at home? who rely on school lunches as their only true meal of the day? whose parents are forced to stay home and not get paid their normal hourly wage? to me, there are a ton of repercussions to this that could also get disastrous fast

The problem is that it gets disastrous either way.

most schools have a plan in place for those whose parents have to work and ways to get meals to people.

There are lots of parents that have to work. But some will need to take leave.

Copley305

Apr 10, 2006
The problem is that it gets disastrous either way.

most schools have a plan in place for those whose parents have to work and ways to get meals to people.

There are lots of parents that have to work. But some will need to take leave.

Great. Why is it "most schools" and not "all schools"? And what is that plan?

And what if a parent doesn't have enough leave or can't get the leave they need? And what if that leave is an hourly job or otherwise unpaid leave and they rely on each paycheck to pay their bills?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I agree but that's the only thing I can see why it's only a suggestion

maybe they can keep daycares open and strongly suggest that parents keep their kids at home.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

OK this **** must be serious, she made this video from what looks to be a ******* panic room or a secret Taliban bunker.

Apparently it's cold there, since she's also wearing a sweater with another vest on top of that...

...indoors.

• Funny
Reactions: Cy$

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Mandate would shut down daycares so maybe that's why she's not?

Not necessarily. I was talking to our daycare center owner Friday and she says privately owned centers like hers report to DHS. They do have to report cases of illness to state health but their operations are not mandated through the state as they receive no state funding. She said as long as they don't have any cases in the center she can stay open for as long as she wants. Crossing my fingers she doesn't have to shut down at some point, my wife can work from home while our kindergartner has to stay home but our not quite 3 year old would be a different story if we had to keep her home too as she requires a little more supervision than the older kid does.

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwins

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I would guess Wintersteen will soon be announcing university closure and I'm hoping faculty/staff who can work from home will be encouraged to do so. That'll be a mess though, because there are many positions at the university which cannot work from home. Man oh man, how will they sort all that out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron