Considering switching from Android to iPhone

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
I have a gaming PC, an Apple Macbook Air, and a work Windows 10 laptop. I've also owned iPhone's since the OG, but I've used a lot of Android phones along the way too just to test the other side. Windows/Mac is just about preference now really. Windows 10 is amazing, however, so is the Big Sur on Mac. I love both computers for very different reasons, so there is not just one size fits all.

Regarding phones, I have yet to find a reason to switch away from Apple. The privacy issue is a real issue. Apple makes their money off selling you devices and physical products (even though they have really started pushing services more lately), but Google makes their money off services, your data, and advertisements. Which one of those companies is more willing to care about your privacy?

It is an issue, but unless you plan on relegating yourself to Apple maps and Safari, it isn't improved using Apple. In fact, I have heard of more Apple accounts being hacked than Google accounts. If it is the sale of data that bothers you, what part bothers you? Sure Google sells my data, but they don't sell "my" data, meaning nobody can buy any data associated to me. And if you don't think Apple is using the user data that it is collecting, I don't know what to tell you. Better security is a nice selling point but isn't really a reality.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I am an android user. I had the s8 for the longest time and it worked great! Then I got the itch to get a new phone and did something I had never done before and bought a Pixel 5 directly from Google. Love how clean it is! I will always go direct from manufacturer now (unless I get some ridiculously good deal)! Wife loves her iPhone. Divided home.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I personally prefer android because that's what our entire house is setup with from phones to tablets to my nest that i use as an alarm clock. Making a switch would cost a small fortune now.

I made the decision long ago and I don't know if change that now. I really like the apple hardware. It's solid and with a single manufacturer you know what you're going to get. But I just don't like the OS. It feels like something designed for a child.

As far as the android hardware, stick with a brand instead of jumping around. I like the Google devices for my phone and Motorola phones for my kids since they are much cheaper. Both run bare Android, so the experience is the same between them. Google does stand behind their phones well for updates and the phones hold up for a decent amount of time. Batteries always seem to be the weak link and I'll usually get 3-4 years before I'm ready to upgrade because the battery won't hold a charge through an entire day any longer.

But...if you really want a smart watch, android is not right for you. Samsung does make a decent watch that currently runs on their own OS, but they'll be back to Wear OS in the next generation supposedly. Other than that, there are no real premium watches like apple has.

I find the Garmin Android smart watches superior to anything Wear OS has had out so far. That's a pretty big failing for the money invested in Wear OS.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
At least the apple headphone jack will never wear out on ya :jimlad:

(yes I realize this is becoming an android thing too)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
At least the apple headphone jack will never wear out on ya :jimlad:

(yes I realize this is becoming an android thing too)

The only time I've ever missed a headphone jack was on my wife's phone when she was trying to use a square credit card reader.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I don’t have any advice and couldn’t care less what phones people have, EXCEPT, when there’s a group chat and everybody except 1 person has an iphone. The green bubbles anger me and not being able to “like” or “thumbs up” things. Im in some group chats where we purposely avoid adding people that don’t have an iphone for that exact reason. Sorry.

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I've never had apple, so I can't speak to that, but that's mostly because I've always had Galaxies because I've been really happy with them. I still get people who tell me I can't use the phone to pay on there old credit reader because they don't have NFC. I tell them Samsung works with the magnetic strip reader and they don't believe me, but sure enough it works every time.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I don’t have any advice and couldn’t care less what phones people have, EXCEPT, when there’s a group chat and everybody except 1 person has an iphone. The green bubbles anger me and not being able to “like” or “thumbs up” things. Im in some group chats where we purposely avoid adding people that don’t have an iphone for that exact reason. Sorry.
It's absolutely absurd Google/Apple have not figured a solution for this.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Thanks everyone for the comments, it's been an interesting discussion. I decided to take the plunge (which I realize is an overly dramatic way to phrase it), and get an iPhone. As Sousaclone said, "Won't know until you try something different.". I went the used route -- got an iPhone XS on Swappa for what felt like a pretty decent price, especially since I get to still have an OLED screen.

Samsung being the face of Android is frustrating for me because they've pissed me off with basically every device of theirs I've owned. My first android phone was Samsung, after multiple replacements due to failing hardware, I ditched it for an HTC. Later got a Galaxy Nexus for a purer Android experience, and it was ****. Problems with battery, wifi, GPS, you name it. My Samsung tablet, as wonderful as the screen is, got abandoned by them very quickly (per Android stereotype) and then their watch (which I swapped out for a WearOS watch) pissed me off because I didn't get the full functionality out it only because I didn't have a Samsung phone. **** you, Samsung. Perhaps things are better now, but I just have no desire to own any more Samsung devices.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
It's absolutely absurd Google/Apple have not figured a solution for this.

Agreed. Google has been trying for literally years to get the carriers to implement a new standard protocol for data-based chat, and to call the adoption pace glacial would not be exaggeration. Even now, only some carriers, with some phones, support it. Then Google enabled it for... some people? If you use their Messages app. Which, for me basically doesn't matter because almost nobody I know uses Android, and those that do are not the kind of people to be replacing their default texting app with Google Messages, so whatever meager system exists doesn't matter anyways. The thing is, even once it all actually gets implemented (if ever), I'm not sure it'll ever matter for iPhones, which means this whole "everybody else has an iPhone" thing continues to be problematic.

So if they wanted to, I'm sure they could come up with a solution, but everyone's business interests are standing in the way. Cell Carriers don't give a ****, they probably want people to text still, and Apple is probably perfectly content with this situation where people feel like they need to have an iPhone to properly communicate with their friends and family.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPad Pro, Mac mini, Mac Book Pro, AirPods, 4 HomePods, Apple TVs. It just all works together and seamlessly. I might be a fanboy...

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I never had a smartphone until an iPhone 5, which I got basically for free for switching carriers. I then got a 6 and a 7 because the trade value on the prior phones would pay for the upgrade. I literally paid nothing for 3 generations of phones for my wife and I. I still have two 7's which work fine, one for my "house" phone for my kids and another I gave a family friend for their kids. As far as phones go, I'll never switch. I also don't currently have the most expensive versions, I just have an XR now and I'll never use a phone for anything that will demand cutting edge hardware so it's fine.

All of that said, I have an Apple TV, and I prefer the interface on Roku. My wife has an Apple laptop and for what we use it for I don't think it justifies the price. I'm not exactly a fanboy but I do appreciate the phones because you know exactly what you're getting, and quite frankly any time I've had even the slightest issue with them they've just replaced it even when I didn't have AppleCare.