Considering Going From DirecTV to Dish

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Dish now has WatchESPN access and the entire ESPN/Disney family is now in HD. That was my only complaint up until that switch a month ago. My Dish/DSL Inet bundle serves my needs just fine. $90 a month with no fancy promo rates.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Just pay your bill and move on. Can't believe the penny pinching on here sometimes.

This. Can't believe the audacity of people ******** and moaning just to save a buck. Don't complain about crappy service when ***** about paying the retail price. Like it, pay the price. Dont like it, don't have the service.

Nothing bothers me more than nickel and dime crap like this (both from consumers and businesses). If you need to ***** the price down, you can't afford it.

Someone asked a question about switching to a competitor's product that is at a lower price... Isn't that the entire point of capitalism? I suppose you are buying the same products that you started with because you don't have the "audacity" to consider a switch.

Gtown25

Oct 12, 2011
Grinnell, IA
Dish services to sports fans are great. RedZone available with the normal sports package along with the PAC 12 network, going to have the SEC network. They just need to pick up Cyclones.TV :)

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
In the past have tried both DirecTV and Comcast Xfinity, was never really satisfied with the product or the service overall. DirecTV had a good product but was simply too expensive, and Xfinity was simply a horrible product. Tried to get both to play ball also - I always try to give people a chance before moving on.

I'm on Dish now, have been for the last 6 months, and love it. Great product, Hopper works great, and at the right price.

Just be prepared for DirecTV to call you in a few months to give you a great offer to take them back. Both former companies do that with me. I always tell them I game them a chance, and the to go F themselves.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Just pay your bill and move on. Can't believe the penny pinching on here sometimes.

This. Can't believe the audacity of people ******** and moaning just to save a buck. Don't complain about crappy service when ***** about paying the retail price. Like it, pay the price. Dont like it, don't have the service.

Nothing bothers me more than nickel and dime crap like this (both from consumers and businesses). If you need to ***** the price down, you can't afford it.

burning-money.jpg

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO

Here's the deal - they give discounts to new customers, but give no incentives to existing customers. Then when you cancel because they won't give a discount, they'll continue to call you later to give you a discount as a returning customer.

They make their money off of suckers like you.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com

Yup, I agree. I work hard for my money, and it pisses me off if I'm paying $120 for something that someone else is paying $90 for. If that makes me a cheapskate, so be it. If others are okay with being overcharged, that's their prerogative, I guess.

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
I have done the move from Direct to Dish about 3 years ago, paid the cancellation fee about 3 months in and went back to Direct. Hated how their DVR worked, they kept messing with their contracts on Fox and blacking them out for 30ish days during football season, etc. Just moved and got a free upgrade to the Genie, it is awesome and never have issues with dvring something especially if I want to record 3 different games and my wife records one or two of her crap reality shows. Honestly, I will never go back to Dish.

Something to consider with Direct TV, if your contract is up. You can simply cancel. The next day you can call in and set up under the same name, etc and they will give you the new customer deals, NFL package, movie channels, etc. If that doesn't work, put it under your spouse's name( if you have one). I do it every 2 years, seriously, in the long run it averages out for the savings that you get to switch, etc.

Just my experience, my parents have Dish, it seems like a downgrade everytime I watch TV at their house. Good luck!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Dish now has WatchESPN access and the entire ESPN/Disney family is now in HD. That was my only complaint up until that switch a month ago. My Dish/DSL Inet bundle serves my needs just fine. $90 a month with no fancy promo rates.

WHHHHHHHAAAAAA????????? When did this happen?

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I had Direct TV for 6 years went to Dish for 2 and then went back to Direct TV.
Nothing was better with Dish an some things were worse.
1. Dishes equipment breaks down more. This was my own experience and was verified by local installer who services both. He said they have a t leas twice as many issues with Dish equipment.

2. I can't remember specifics but recording and changing recording options was a major hassle on Dish. It took a lot more steps to accomplish same thing.

3. Both will nickel and dime you to death. Both offer great deals for new customers and then jab you to death.

kickout

Aug 30, 2013
Here's the deal - they give discounts to new customers, but give no incentives to existing customers. Then when you cancel because they won't give a discount, they'll continue to call you later to give you a discount as a returning customer.

They make their money off of suckers like you.

Luckily they haven't made a dollar off me. Have never had satellite TV in my life. Have had cable on/off past 5 years. Just perplexes me is all....

And yes. I hate the big telecoms just as much as everybody else. Waiting for Google to put these guys out of business

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I searched old threads, but would like some feedback specifically from people who have made the decision to go from DTV to Dish.

Called and gave DirecTV the annual "I'm leaving if you don't lower my bill" gig. This year they didn't really play ball....my bill has crept up to $120 a month with no premium channels...they offered $10 off a month for 24 months, which ****** me off more than anything...before I've gotten them to bring me down to $70-$80 a month for 12 months, then it raised to $100 for the next 12.

Anyway, them not playing ball has me considering moving to Dish for the first time ever...for those of you who have moved from DTV to Dish, how has your experience been? Like the idea of the built in Sling on the Hopper, but my main concern is picture quality....we have a Dish receiver at work and I noticed (especially watching sports) some macroblocking on the TV...I know it isn't the TV because its a $2,000 2014 model Samsung Smart TV that looks brilliant when hooked up to a Blu Ray player, so that leaves me to believe it is something with the Dish setup (who knows what, could be old coax struggling with the signal).

I've got a 60" plasma for my main TV and sit about 12' away from it, so any imperfections in the picture are going to very obvious.

I'm not happy paying $120 per month for TV when I could get the first 12 months of Dish for $40 a month with a very similar package, but just want to make sure I'm making a decision I won't regret for two years.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Nice thing about dish is it is cheaper and they don't just keep raising your rates for no reason like DTV. Honestly programming and quality are about the same. So Customer service, user experience, and price are the only factors that remain in my opinion. Dish has better customer service, Lower Prices, and they have the hopper with sling.
I would never go back to DTV.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
Yup, I agree. I work hard for my money, and it pisses me off if I'm paying $120 for something that someone else is paying $90 for. If that makes me a cheapskate, so be it. If others are okay with being overcharged, that's their prerogative, I guess.

Same people who actually pay sticker price for a new car....cracks me up....idiots.

kickout

Aug 30, 2013
Same people who actually pay sticker price for a new car....cracks me up....idiots.

To be fair, only an idiot would buy a new car in the first place, correct?

What, with all of the research pointed at buying a new car is never a wise investment...cracks me up...idiots..

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Who do you use for your wifi service today?
Not sure who your cable provider is, but I have Time Warner (soon to be Comcast) where I live and they give me a nice bundle deal on Internet/Cable service, and the internet speed is really great.

Something you might want to consider.

When I moved into my north-facing apartment I had to give up my DirecTV for Comcast. Comcast is freaking expensive, but the services are great. TV and internet almost never go out (which is an overblown problem on DirecTV IMO), and I have access to almost everything on my iPhone as they partner with Verizon.

With DirecTV getting so expensive, I am missing it less and less.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
One other benefit to Dish is their DishAnywhere phone app. It lets you stream anything that you can get on your TV or anything on your DVR, on your phone. Doesn't seem like this would be that great of a deal until you really use it. For me, I watched the National Championship football game (FSU vs Auburn) on my phone, while at a music festival. I couldn't believe I could even get a signal, but before you knew it I had eight guys behind me watching the game too and buying me beers.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I made the switch to Dish a few years ago and didn't like Dish. Direct offered to buy the contract out and I switched back. If you want cheaper Direct payments, call cancel, tell them you are tired of their high prices, and set your drop date 2 weeks into the future. Then wait for the phone to ring. Let it go for the 2 weeks, they will come down in price.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I've been pricing out packages too, now having relocated back to Iowa. The thing that kills me about dish packages in general is the available internet options/speeds...which often is the most important part for me. You almost have to go with Mediacom in some way because of that. So, we finally decided just to go with the Mediacom Elite package: has a whole home TiVo for 3 TVs, all premium channels and packages, 30 Mbps Internet, no equipment rental fees, and best of all...no contract period so we can switch if there is a killer deal in the future. The dish companies jump your rate at least $30-$40 after the first year, then add on a premium channel if you want your "Game of Thrones", add in the equip fees, then add the premium that Mediacom charges for out-of-bundle internet and associated fees...just really adds up for what you get.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
We had Dish for a while. When we switched to DirecTV the quality was better, but I believe that was back when HD was just starting to become widespread. Frankly I loved the Dish technology. We had one box, and it back-fed the signal so that we could watch the second line on any TV in the house. Kind of what the whole-home stuff does now, but you didn't need the "Genie" or other boxes. But I think that was pre-DVR, but not sure. I'm pretty happy with DirecTV except for the WatchESPN and ABC. I left Dish because of the constant contract battles with networks. Plus my son wanted his SpongeBob and my particular package didn't have it. To get it I had to give up my rockin' rate, which put me at the same as DirecTV so I made the switch.

I think if you are looking for the best value, I think Dish is your home. To me, the two companies are like Chevrolet and GMC, one is just a small step up with a little added cost.