Congrats!!!

Johnny8

Oct 18, 2006
Ames, IA
I'm just excited to see some progress from this team. I, like many on this board, am very concerned and guarded about expecting to win a lot more games this season, but I'm just glad that it seems like progress is being made. I'm very happy with our coaches and would be extremely impressed if we could pull out 3 more wins this season, which it looks like might be possible.

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I watched the Iowa game on board my ship. I couldn't help but root for the Hawks...
I was trying to think of two D1 colleges in the same state that are both quality programs (which I hope is going to be the case in Iowa) is it possible? Good win Hawkeyes (did I just type that?)!

CJDelmonico

Aug 23, 2009
I watched the Iowa game on board my ship. I couldn't help but root for the Hawks...
I was trying to think of two D1 colleges in the same state that are both quality programs (which I hope is going to be the case in Iowa) is it possible? Good win Hawkeyes (did I just type that?)!

Really? I can name about 15 states.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Thanks.

I watched most of the Iowa game. I'll now say this: I'm not longer as disappointed with our game versus Iowa. Yeah, we turned the ball over excessively but Iowa is a solid team all around. To go into PSU with 100,000+ fans and players with a chip on their shoulders because of last years upset and come out with a 11 point win is impressive.

This years ISU team isn't of the same caliber as Iowa is right now.

I might be flamed for this but I call it as I see it.

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
Really? I can name about 15 states.

Honest question, what 15 are you thinking of? I can only think of the following:

-California
-Texas
-Florida
-Alabama
-Pennsylvania
-Oregon
-Georgia
-Utah
-Michigan

The "Maybes" could include:
-Arizona (neither are great, both are mediocre)
-Indiana (ND, Purdue, and IU. I don't consider Purdue and IU to be that high quality, but maybe if you combine those two into 1, and pair them with ND, you could say Indiana has 2 quality programs :jimlad: )
-Iowa (we'll see how the seasons finish out)

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Thanks.

I watched most of the Iowa game. I'll now say this: I'm not longer as disappointed with our game versus Iowa. Yeah, we turned the ball over excessively but Iowa is a solid team all around. To go into PSU with 100,000+ fans and players with a chip on their shoulders because of last years upset and come out with a 11 point win is impressive.

This years ISU team isn't of the same caliber as Iowa is right now.

I might be flamed for this but I call it as I see it.

Kinda my thoughts as well. After Iowa should have gotten beat by UNI, I was thinking that Iowa might be down this year. That is why it hurt even more when we got smoked.... although you will always get smoked when you turn it over 6 times to anyone.

But the loss to Iowa doesn't sting so bad now that it appears Iowa is a pretty darn good football team.

ISU still doesn't have a decent win to hang its hat on though, but at least we've won the ones we're supposed to thus far... unlike what Chizik did by losing to teams like Kent State and Toledo.

Shinyhappyclone

Aug 25, 2007
iowa
You know, I am going to say something that I never really would say as a Cyclone from the 1980's, but I really like that Hawkeye team. I am jealous, envious, and covetous of a team that can stand up and smack people in the jaw. What a nice Hawkeye team that makes you want to cheer for them. ANF, FFF, and all that. Lots of locals on the squad. I really am going to start cheering for them the rest of the year. Wow, did I just say that?

I think Paul can get there too. MacCarney had worked to a point, but poor assisstant coaches and other typically cyclone fatalistic blows made him lame, as in lame duck, way before Jamie had to make a catalytic change. In another Big10 note, I see Indiana and Iowa State share some traits, and I love that the IU coach went ballistic at Michigan for his team. M gets all the breaks, all the time from any refereeing crew. Like us when we play any Texas squad in Texas. Right or wrong, I want a coach who will fight. You can be the benigh, polite, classy coach when you are at Ohio State or Florida, but when You are Iowa State, you have to undo decades of bias's in referees minds. UNI's success has shows me that Iowa and Iowa State can both be very good someday, it just takes the right pieces to fall into place.

Shinyhappyclone

Aug 25, 2007
iowa
Honest question, what 15 are you thinking of? I can only think of the following:

-California
-Texas
-Florida
-Alabama
-Pennsylvania
-Oregon
-Georgia
-Utah
-Michigan

The "Maybes" could include:
-Arizona (neither are great, both are mediocre)
-Indiana (ND, Purdue, and IU. I don't consider Purdue and IU to be that high quality, but maybe if you combine those two into 1, and pair them with ND, you could say Indiana has 2 quality programs :jimlad: )
-Iowa (we'll see how the seasons finish out)

I always love how "statehood" is used as a gauge for so many things, when it really isn't even relevant. Firstly and foremost, look at a map. California and Texas are small countries, not states. You cannot compare them at all to other states with anything, football, ag production, pollution, widget sales, etc.... The converse of this is true with politics. I wish people would wake up and give the political reality of state-size as much consideration as the NFL, and maybe get mad about it. 20 senators--or 20 freaking percent of the political legislative power--resides in a New England-Dover corridor about the size of Missouri, yet they rule over the rest of the nation. You remove upstate New York, and there is ZERO intellectual diversity or concern for anything outside of an urban jobs program.
See you at the Truman Library next week.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Two good in-state programs: Can't leave out Oklahoma. Borderline: Ohio (OSU/Cincy, bunch of other smaller schools, but not bad), KY (KU/Louisvlle-both on the upswing).

Anyway, congrats to Iowa also, big win for the state. I know it will probably never happen, but it would sure be nice if the two bigger Iowa schools (Iowa/ISU)(no disrespect to UNI-they've done great the last more than several years) could be a little more civil toward one another. It's a great and fun rivalry, but seems to border on the pathologic sometimes. I may get flamed for saying this, but I enjoy hearing from some of the more sane Iowa fans who aren't always full of themselves. Humility and respect go a long way in my book, even if you are better than us this year.

maui6651

Sep 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Anyway, congrats to Iowa also, big win for the state. I know it will probably never happen, but it would sure be nice if the two bigger Iowa schools (Iowa/ISU)(no disrespect to UNI-they've done great the last more than several years) could be a little more civil toward one another. It's a great and fun rivalry, but seems to border on the pathologic sometimes. I may get flamed for saying this, but I enjoy hearing from some of the more sane Iowa fans who aren't always full of themselves. Humility and respect go a long way in my book, even if you are better than us this year.

This is only my second football season on CF, but most of the Hawk fans that have been posting since last night have been very classy and humble with this win over a top 5 team. Thanks guys for not trying to rub it in our faces :wink:

It's great having a weekend where all three fanbases can feel good about themselves!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Two good in-state programs: Can't leave out Oklahoma. Borderline: Ohio (OSU/Cincy, bunch of other smaller schools, but not bad), KY (KU/Louisvlle-both on the upswing).

completely agree. I would probably support iowa if the majority of their fanbase hadnt completely turned me off on EIU.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This is only my second football season on CF, but most of the Hawk fans that have been posting since last night have been very classy and humble with this win over a top 5 team. Thanks guys for not trying to rub it in our faces :wink:

It's great having a weekend where all three fanbases can feel good about themselves!
Agree. Its been nice to see. Though im sure the sentiment will change once a lot of cyclone fans run into their hawkeye coworkers monday.

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
I always love how "statehood" is used as a gauge for so many things, when it really isn't even relevant. Firstly and foremost, look at a map. California and Texas are small countries, not states. You cannot compare them at all to other states with anything, football, ag production, pollution, widget sales, etc.... The converse of this is true with politics. I wish people would wake up and give the political reality of state-size as much consideration as the NFL, and maybe get mad about it. 20 senators--or 20 freaking percent of the political legislative power--resides in a New England-Dover corridor about the size of Missouri, yet they rule over the rest of the nation. You remove upstate New York, and there is ZERO intellectual diversity or concern for anything outside of an urban jobs program.
See you at the Truman Library next week.

Uhm...I'm not sure what this rant has to do with the question I posed.

Or did you just forget to take your meds? :jimlad:

As for the others: Can't believe I missed Oklahoma...good call.

I also agree with Ohio...didn't think about Cinci.

Not sure about Kentucky. They're not bad, but I don't know if I'd call them both "quality" programs just yet.

Anyway, it's all subjective. I appreciate the input.

kcclone33

Dec 15, 2008
Ames

This will be very hard for the State of Iowa to pull off for more than a couple years at a time. This is mostly because our number of quality in-state recruits is no where near that of Texas or California. Iowa and Iowa State cant both get the best instate recruits in one year and when they do it's not vary many of them. In 06 ISU got both Arnaud(#1 instate recruit) and Sandvig(dont know his rank) and i dont know who UI got but i dont think they beat ISU that year(in instate recruiting). I know they got Bernstine, but i think that was the next year. I remember sitting next to him in the 06 Shrine Bowl.
If you look at Texas: 3-4 of their major universtities do get the best in'state recruits year in and year out.