Congrats on the comeback win, impressive

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
They rip on UNI students/alum who cheer for Iowa or ISU. It pi##es me off when ISU fans try to belittle UNI students. I wasn't being technical. They are both division 1, but they really aren't at the same level. ISU shouldn't lose to UNI. It's nobody's fault but ISU's when they do though, and there's no reason to trash UNI students/alum when they do.

The fans that I was referring to was the fans that will wear both teams gear to the game, If UNI loses they say "I only go to UNI but I'm an Iowa fan". And then if UNI wins they talk about how they "Go to school there and follow the team and will continue to rub it in everyones faces that they can that UNI won. Of course then if Iowa wins they continue to pump their chest about how both of their teams beat ISU when if UNI loses they will completely drop them off as if they are just the school they are attending and are really a fan of the other. I have no problem with students going to one school for whatever reason and continuing to root for the team they care about... I had a few friends do that as well. Just don't be a tool and claim to root for both teams if they happen to beat ISU and then if they lose say... "Oh well I'm really a fan of Iowa (or whatever school)".... its just pathetic.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
My favorites are the Iowa fans who never went to college and cheer for the Hawkeyes and then they can't possibly understand why anyone would want to cheer for Iowa State or UNI, even if your an alum of the school. Stay classy Hawkeye fans...

If a school can hook the non grads into buying tshirts and season tickets, that is when some real dollars start flowing into an athletic program. Reference, Iowa and Nebraska. If you can get someone who makes lets say for conversation, 35K a year as a household. That family watches your games, buys your flags, wishes they could go to a game, and never turns down the opportunity to attend a game, buys your decals and shot glasses and then turns his/her offspring into fans, the money flows a little more freely. I would venture to guess, that Nebraska and Iowa generate over 50% of their licensed property income from non alums. I don't believe ISU would have as high of a percentage, but I believe it IS growing. GO STATE

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If a school can hook the non grads into buying tshirts and season tickets, that is when some real dollars start flowing into an athletic program. Reference, Iowa and Nebraska. If you can get someone who makes lets say for conversation, 35K a year as a household. That family watches your games, buys your flags, wishes they could go to a game, and never turns down the opportunity to attend a game, buys your decals and shot glasses and then turns his/her offspring into fans, the money flows a little more freely. I would venture to guess, that Nebraska and Iowa generate over 50% of their licensed property income from non alums. I don't believe ISU would have as high of a percentage, but I believe it IS growing. GO STATE

That's why the tavern<fill in team nickname here> disparagement is so stupid. A healthy athletic department needs those fans, their support and their $$. There are a lot of farmers who never got the opportunity to go to college but ISU needs them supporting the ag based land grant school -- ISU -- not the semi-urban school to the east.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
That's why the tavern<fill in team nickname here> disparagement is so stupid. A healthy athletic department needs those fans, their support and their $$. There are a lot of farmers who never got the opportunity to go to college but ISU needs them supporting the ag based land grant school -- ISU -- not the semi-urban school to the east.
But I don't think a tavern hok is just someone who didn't go to the school (if that's the case then I'll be a tavern clone), it also has to do with their attitude. What makes someone a tavern hok? They didn't go to the school, they're a complete ******* to everyone who isn't a hawkeye fan, and they don't care about the school in general; they view the school as a pro team.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

It's just petty jealousy. They had those fans. We didn't, so we knock 'tavern fans' like having fans is some kind of negative thing.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Yeah, I find it embarrassing. If you're a UNI alum, support your school, especially if they're playing an in-state rival. I hate dual-fans, but I also realize if UNI didn't have them our fan base would be significantly smaller than it already is.
This is honestly the main reason I enjoy beating Iowa and Iowa State so much because we have so many alums that choose to cheer for ISU and Iowa even when UNI plays them. I like knowing that a UNI alum who chose to cheer for the other team gets to experience the disappointment of losing to the Panthers, which is exactly why I'd love to beat Iowa in football one of these days and put them all in their place.

Huh? I live in Iowa and have met plenty of UNI grads and know several personally. They are ALL purplehawks. Purpleclones, if they are real are so rare that they might as well be unicorns.

On a side note; I like the thing they do at Wells Fargo. The experience of playing in front of hostile purplehawks, hawks and drakehawks has real value for a team that intends to go deep into the tournament.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I'm a Cyclone who loves UNI 364 days out of the year and follow all of your sports regularly. Good luck the rest of the year and keep giving if you're a booster!

Shouldn't it be 363 days out of the year since we also play them in football?

Discrimination against wrestling, volleyball, tennis, soccer, women's basketball, swimming, softball, and possibly track/CC.

clone96cr

Apr 11, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Ok, I totally understand that. Then why do so many ISU fans rip on Iowa fans that do the same thing? Not trying to start an argument, just asking a question.
And if we're being technical, UNI and ISU play at the same level in every sport except football.

I am with you on this. Root for your school, show some pride. If you root against your school your just a fan like any sports team. I am a Vikings fan, when they win, I say the Vikings won (which never happens). But when ISU wins I say WE won, because I was/am a part of the university as a student and now an alumni.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
I hate UNI and hate paying them all that money for them to play us in football. That being said, OP is the only decent UNI fan I know of (meaning one that isn't a Hok fan first).
As a UNI alum, I know quite a few decent UNI first fans(Read: not Iowa tool bags weaing purple for a game or two a year), but they are certainly rare.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
We hear so much about PantherHawks....we all should embrace any siting of the rare and elusive "PantherClone."

I should know...I married one.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron