Congrats on the comeback win, impressive

UNIPantherFan

Dec 4, 2013
Ames, IA
Congrats from Pantherland.
Hoiberg and the Cyclones made the necessary second half adjustments while UNI suffered their traditional 5+ minute scoring drought and gave up another huge 2nd half scoring run for the second straight game.
You guys have a good team on your hands and that was a good comeback performance on a neutral court against an in-state rival. While I think the Panthers are a little down this year, they will still give teams some fits this season. If UNI could find a way to play a full 40 minute game instead of just 25-30 minutes they could be decent the rest of the season.
Hats off to the Clones for not giving up after being down 18 with only 16 minutes to go. Ejim is the best player in the state and I have always been a fan of Niang, Kane is a nice addition too. You guys will be tough to beat this season.
I wasn't surprised to see Jacobson try to go back to more of a traditional UNI style by trying to slow it down in the 2nd half, but it didn't seem to help much. I dont know what the worst part about this game was as a UNI fan: blowing an 18 point lead to the No. 17 team in the country, or doing so by missing free throws, something UNI has traditionally been great at the last 5-6 years.
Anyway, you have a good (possibly great) team on your hands. Congrats on the hard fought victory and good luck the rest of the season. Please beat Iowa next week and make Fran's head explode (literally).

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Unlike many on here I don't hate your school. I just hate that we have to play your team because we never seem to be ready for that intensity. This game should really pay dividends, sorry it was at your expense. I'll be cheering for UNI the rest of the season for sure.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Dang it, I've been trolling UNI lurkers with no bites. Now posts like this make me feel a little bad. (it'll soon pass)

Why is Buss riding the pine? Kid is a shooter - unless he just pulled this game out of his butt.

UNIPantherFan

Dec 4, 2013
Ames, IA
Why is Buss riding the pine? Kid is a shooter - unless he just pulled this game out of his butt.

Not 100% sure, I think a few factors:
1. UNI needs someone who can score coming off the bench and he's never afraid to shoot the ball and as you can see from tonight, he can score in bunches.
2. Jacobson places more emphasis on defense instead of offense and the past couple years Buss has been slacking on defense and rebounding. However, he appears to be better at both this season and our defense isn't as good as it normally is, so I think he deserves more minutes.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Buss is a tough matchup. He looks like a pure shooter who has a good arsenal of shots. Looked like Hogue and Ejim were reassigned to guard him.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Buss with that turnaround looked like Dirk out there. Dude was unconscious. Hopefully he played his way into more minutes.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
You've got to let a guy like that get out and run. I was impressed (read: incredibly annoyed) at his mid-range game. I don't know if anyone played harder for their minutes than Washpun though. He was slashing to the rim win lose or draw.

After watching that game tonight, I'm surprised UNI is 3-5. They seem to have all of the tools. The only thing I could point to is leadership. Who's in charge on the court?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Props to the UNI students with the big sign showing the football score. Quality smack.

I ******* hate it when ISU plays UNI. Even though the logical part of me said we should win this game comfortably, I knew it would be a dog fight. It always is. I think there is something in the Ames water supply that makes our players allergic to purple dye. Just happy to get out with a win.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I hate UNI and hate paying them all that money for them to play us in football. That being said, OP is the only decent UNI fan I know of (meaning one that isn't a Hok fan first).

veryphil

Feb 24, 2012
Siracusa, ITA/Ames, IA
Anyway, you have a good (possibly great) team on your hands. Congrats on the hard fought victory and good luck the rest of the season. Please beat Iowa next week and make Fran's head explode (literally).

I'm a Cyclone who loves UNI 364 days out of the year and follow all of your sports regularly. Good luck the rest of the year and keep giving if you're a booster!

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I'm a Cyclone who loves UNI 364 days out of the year and follow all of your sports regularly. Good luck the rest of the year and keep giving if you're a booster!

Shouldn't it be 363 days out of the year since we also play them in football?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I sadly had to listen to the first half using UNI's broadcast, since ISU's eastern Iowa coverage is so pathetic. (Email Pollard.) I don't know who their color guy is, but he's pretty damn good. Their play by play guy, though. OMG. He does this "Kaboom! Kablooey!" thing whenever UNI makes a 3 pointer that makes it sound like he's playing in the sandbox with action figures.

And yet, he's still better than the Hawkeyes' game caller.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Unlike many on here I don't hate your school. I just hate that we have to play your team because we never seem to be ready for that intensity. This game should really pay dividends, sorry it was at your expense. I'll be cheering for UNI the rest of the season for sure.

Agreed, I don't hate UNI and have a good amount of respect for them. I just hate the portion of their fan base that couldn't decide to wear their UNI purple or the Hok Gold and black. Thought it was funny to see some of them with a Hawk tshirt with an open UNI jacket or UNI hat or something to go with it. Its bad when the fans have to cheer for two teams in hopes that one of them will get a win over ISU.

Props to UNIPantherFan on the post and hope to see UNI make some noise the rest of the season.