Congrats on the comeback win, impressive

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I sadly had to listen to the first half using UNI's broadcast, since ISU's eastern Iowa coverage is so pathetic. (Email Pollard.) I don't know who their color guy is, but he's pretty damn good. Their play by play guy, though. OMG. He does this "Kaboom! Kablooey!" thing whenever UNI makes a 3 pointer that makes it sound like he's playing in the sandbox with action figures.

And yet, he's still better than the Hawkeyes' game caller.

lolz Gary Rima sucks.

cyspy

Jul 24, 2011
I sadly had to listen to the first half using UNI's broadcast, since ISU's eastern Iowa coverage is so pathetic. (Email Pollard.) I don't know who their color guy is, but he's pretty damn good. Their play by play guy, though. OMG. He does this "Kaboom! Kablooey!" thing whenever UNI makes a 3 pointer that makes it sound like he's playing in the sandbox with action figures.

And yet, he's still better than the Hawkeyes' game caller.

I believe the UNI color commentator on basketball is Kevin Boyle,the former Hawkeye player.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
lolz Gary Rima sucks.
t

Gary's actually not bad.

We, as Iowa State fans, have been spoiled by the quality of our play by play guys because we have had GREAT ones in Pete and now John.

But listen to Rima's call at the end of the Kansas game, from when Ali made that 3 till the end. He was phenomenal.

UNIPantherFan

Dec 4, 2013
Ames, IA
Agreed, I don't hate UNI and have a good amount of respect for them. I just hate the portion of their fan base that couldn't decide to wear their UNI purple or the Hok Gold and black. Thought it was funny to see some of them with a Hawk tshirt with an open UNI jacket or UNI hat or something to go with it. Its bad when the fans have to cheer for two teams in hopes that one of them will get a win over ISU.

Props to UNIPantherFan on the post and hope to see UNI make some noise the rest of the season.

Yeah, I find it embarrassing. If you're a UNI alum, support your school, especially if they're playing an in-state rival. I hate dual-fans, but I also realize if UNI didn't have them our fan base would be significantly smaller than it already is.
This is honestly the main reason I enjoy beating Iowa and Iowa State so much because we have so many alums that choose to cheer for ISU and Iowa even when UNI plays them. I like knowing that a UNI alum who chose to cheer for the other team gets to experience the disappointment of losing to the Panthers, which is exactly why I'd love to beat Iowa in football one of these days and put them all in their place.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I always respect UNI for how they play the game. If Iowa State played with that kind of intensity all the time, they would be nearly unstoppable IMO.

Sometimes our guys spend more energy complaining to the refs than they do playing good hard defense. That drives me nuts. Just play the game and let the coaches take care of the refs.

But both teams can be proud of their head coaches. Class guys. Iowa's, not so much.

And not to discredit UNI, but I have no idea what kind of defensive strategy we came out with last night in that 1st half. We packed it inside, and let UNI have the open outside shot whenever they wanted it. I've never seen us play such a conservative style of defense ever. If we played more pressure man to man defense all game long like we did in the 2nd half, I think we win BIG.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I have a lot of connections to UNI living up here(my wife is a UNI grad). This game is always a tough one for me because of that. On paper we should have blown them out, but we were due for an off game. Much rather see it against UNI than Iowa. Glad we got the win.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Congrats from Pantherland.
Hoiberg and the Cyclones made the necessary second half adjustments while UNI suffered their traditional 5+ minute scoring drought and gave up another huge 2nd half scoring run for the second straight game.
You guys have a good team on your hands and that was a good comeback performance on a neutral court against an in-state rival. While I think the Panthers are a little down this year, they will still give teams some fits this season. If UNI could find a way to play a full 40 minute game instead of just 25-30 minutes they could be decent the rest of the season.
Hats off to the Clones for not giving up after being down 18 with only 16 minutes to go. Ejim is the best player in the state and I have always been a fan of Niang, Kane is a nice addition too. You guys will be tough to beat this season.
I wasn't surprised to see Jacobson try to go back to more of a traditional UNI style by trying to slow it down in the 2nd half, but it didn't seem to help much. I dont know what the worst part about this game was as a UNI fan: blowing an 18 point lead to the No. 17 team in the country, or doing so by missing free throws, something UNI has traditionally been great at the last 5-6 years.
Anyway, you have a good (possibly great) team on your hands. Congrats on the hard fought victory and good luck the rest of the season. Please beat Iowa next week and make Fran's head explode (literally).
Very classy. Thanks for stopping by.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Very classy. Thanks for stopping by.

anchorman_2_31204.jpg

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Yeah, I find it embarrassing. If you're a UNI alum, support your school, especially if they're playing an in-state rival. I hate dual-fans, but I also realize if UNI didn't have them our fan base would be significantly smaller than it already is.
This is honestly the main reason I enjoy beating Iowa and Iowa State so much because we have so many alums that choose to cheer for ISU and Iowa even when UNI plays them. I like knowing that a UNI alum who chose to cheer for the other team gets to experience the disappointment of losing to the Panthers, which is exactly why I'd love to beat Iowa in football one of these days and put them all in their place.

Sorry. I've been an diehard ISU basketball fan since I was eight years old. I went to UNI because it fit my needs. I didn't choose my school based on who I rooted for in game where you throw an orange ball through an orange metal rim. I cheer for UNI as long as they aren't playing ISU. ISU and UNI aren't at the same level in athletics so I don't see why one can't be a fan of both. It's just a game.

UNIPantherFan

Dec 4, 2013
Ames, IA
Sorry. I've been an diehard ISU basketball fan since I was eight years old. I went to UNI because it fit my needs. I didn't choose my school based on who I rooted for in game where you throw an orange ball through an orange metal rim. I cheer for UNI as long as they aren't playing ISU. ISU and UNI aren't at the same level in athletics so I don't see why one can't be a fan of both. It's just a game.

Ok, I totally understand that. Then why do so many ISU fans rip on Iowa fans that do the same thing? Not trying to start an argument, just asking a question.
And if we're being technical, UNI and ISU play at the same level in every sport except football.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Ok, I totally understand that. Then why do so many ISU fans rip on Iowa fans that do the same thing? Not trying to start an argument, just asking a question.
And if we're being technical, UNI and ISU play at the same level in every sport except football.

They rip on UNI students/alum who cheer for Iowa or ISU. It pi##es me off when ISU fans try to belittle UNI students. I wasn't being technical. They are both division 1, but they really aren't at the same level. ISU shouldn't lose to UNI. It's nobody's fault but ISU's when they do though, and there's no reason to trash UNI students/alum when they do.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
They're trashing the fans who cheer for other teams above their own team. I have no problem with UNI students or fans cheering for other Iowa teams, but don't cheer for them against your own school. I'm a huge Iowa State fan, but if Wooster played them in something I'd cheer for Wooster. I wouldn't be an *** about it, but I'd cheer for my college.

UNIPantherFan

Dec 4, 2013
Ames, IA
They're trashing the fans who cheer for other teams above their own team. I have no problem with UNI students or fans cheering for other Iowa teams, but don't cheer for them against your own school. I'm a huge Iowa State fan, but if Wooster played them in something I'd cheer for Wooster. I wouldn't be an *** about it, but I'd cheer for my college.

My favorites are the Iowa fans who never went to college and cheer for the Hawkeyes and then they can't possibly understand why anyone would want to cheer for Iowa State or UNI, even if your an alum of the school. Stay classy Hawkeye fans...

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I am not a UNI fan, but I do like Gary Rima! He brings enthusiasm to his announcing of Panther games. His one line antics really kind of captivates my attention. Kaboom!!! lol. Love it!!

Reactions: Bobber

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron