"Community" cancelled

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I really enjoyed the first season. Hated the second and never went back. Which is sad, because individually, I really like pretty much all of the actors.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I really enjoyed the first season. Hated the second and never went back. Which is sad, because individually, I really like pretty much all of the actors.

The 2nd season was pretty poor but they figured things out again for the 3rd. The high concept theme episodes were by far the best, I especially loved paintball, the 8 bit videogame episode, and the pillow town vs blanketsburg episode told in the style of a ken burns documentary.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Its called not getting ratings.

Its an ok show, lets not get too carried away here.

modern ratings are a funny thing. Because of DVR, ratings are tracked differently than they used to be. Viewings only count toward the ratings if they're watched within the first 3 days of airing. After that, they're nothing. I don't know about you, but I tend to binge on the shows that I like, saving up several episodes and watching them later. Obviously not everyone is like that, but I'd bet I'm not the only one, so for us, very little of our viewing habits are counted toward ratings. Shows that appeal to older folks tend to get comparatively higher ratings, because as a group, they are less likely to use DVR, and more likely to be watching live.

Now, that is not to say that Community had some secret hidden goldmine of unaccounted viewers, and was actually the most popular show on TV, but the true popularity of the show may be a little underestimated because of the way ratings are tracked.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
modern ratings are a funny thing. Because of DVR, ratings are tracked differently than they used to be. Viewings only count toward the ratings if they're watched within the first 3 days of airing. After that, they're nothing. I don't know about you, but I tend to binge on the shows that I like, saving up several episodes and watching them later. Obviously not everyone is like that, but I'd bet I'm not the only one, so for us, very little of our viewing habits are counted toward ratings. Shows that appeal to older folks tend to get comparatively higher ratings, because as a group, they are less likely to use DVR, and more likely to be watching live.

Now, that is not to say that Community had some secret hidden goldmine of unaccounted viewers, and was actually the most popular show on TV, but the true popularity of the show may be a little underestimated because of the way ratings are tracked.

Good luck selling advertisers on THAT :twitcy:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Good luck selling advertisers on THAT :twitcy:

That's not the point I was making. Obviously, advertisers are going to stick with a more traditional, measurable method of tracking ratings for making advertising decisions. My only point is that there are holes in the current rating system, in which certain types of shows might fall, which don't do them any favors.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Its called not getting ratings.

Its an ok show, lets not get too carried away here.

Nothing NBC does gets good ratings. Like seriously nothing. Even Parks and Rec, which is probably their best show, barely ever drew better than a 1.0 rating. And way more people watch Community online.

Let's make a long extensive list of shows that NBC has had that have succeeded since The Office finished:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Nothing NBC does gets good ratings. Like seriously nothing. Even Parks and Rec, which is probably their best show, barely ever drew better than a 1.0 rating. And way more people watch Community online.

Let's make a long extensive list of shows that NBC has had that have succeeded since The Office finished:

The problem with Parks and Rec and Community is they to only appeal to a small part of the market.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

I watch shows when I have time. Don't they track when shows are DVR and count that towards something?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
The problem with Parks and Rec and Community is they to only appeal to a small part of the market.

Also, they did almost no advertising for Community.

NBC has a geniunely clever and funny show and instead of supporting it they just kind of used the same excuse you gave and called it quits. They never gave it a favorable time slot and never bothered trying to advertise it.

I'm sure some crappy cookie cutter sitcom crap will get slightly better ratings the one season it has before getting cancelled because it appeals to a wider audience, but NBC had something with potential and couldn't figure it out.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
So, how does Yahoo Screen work? Is it free or do you need to subscribe to something? I'm just curious what I will have to pay to watch Community.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron