COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
how many times does this **** have to happen, cant wait for the conference to make even less sense then they do now.

Thanks Cdub for good synopsis...now for the anxiety pills....

Reactions: DurangoCy

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
On the optimistic side that the Big 12 holds strong, poaches from other conferences, and throws the horns down as they let these clowns crawl to the SEC, the grant of rights tied up through 2024 season is one of the things that prevent OU and UT from leaving for a few more years.

When do current media rights deals expire for these other conferences, specifically B1G and SEC? Or has anyone caught any tidbits on special clauses with any of the power 5 conferences that could give individual schools early ways out?

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I agree with Chris that there’s gotta be something larger at play if this is true. Unless there’s about to be some sort of seismic shift in college football, it doesn’t make much sense for any party. OU and UT lose power and arguably brand prestige. The SEC gets a marginal increase in TV revenue. Sure, OU and UT have huge fanbases, but casual SEC viewership is already saturated. They can’t attract any more third-party eyeballs than they already do. Lastly, it doesn’t make sense for ESPN and Fox. A content reduction and one less major conference limits their negotiating power.

Not to mention, I don’t think having one super conference is good for the sport as a whole.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
On the optimistic side that the Big 12 holds strong, poaches from other conferences, and throws the horns down as they let these clowns crawl to the SEC, the grant of rights tied up through 2024 season is one of the things that prevent OU and UT from leaving for a few more years.

When do current media rights deals expire for these other conferences, specifically B1G and SEC? Or has anyone caught any tidbits on special clauses with any of the power 5 conferences that could give individual schools early ways out?

ya and every team makes 12 million a year. lol. this new big 12 is death

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
Chris is right. This is about looking 10 years down the road and a whole new universe. Between this and NIL what college football is today might look way different.

The golden goose for all but the very top programs is in danger of getting killed. Interest for the others will wane and college football could turn into a regional sport like NASCAR if you’re not careful. Who cares about a minor league NFL?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I was really worried about this in 2010 or whenever that was. But for some reason I am not as worried in 2021.

Maybe I'm older, more mature, wiser and all that. Or maybe it's just been 12 hours and I haven't had time for it to sink in.

For some reason I was never all that concerned last time around.

I probably should have been.

This is giving me an existential terror.

Naddafinga

Aug 14, 2013
IA
Texas and OU =

shad·y

adjective

of doubtful honesty or legality.
"he was involved in his grandmother's shady deals"

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

"BIG TEN: KANSAS AND IOWA STATE
The Big Ten is picky. They like their members to be part of the American Association of Universities. Guess which two remaining Big 12 schools are members? Yup. The Big Ten will take the Cyclones for their new-found football rep, and the Jayhawks for their basketball pedigree, though Iowa might put up a fight about allowing the Cyclones in the league."

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think we are in a much much better position for realignment then we were 11 years ago.
True, but ISU was in a terrible position last time around. We couldn’t have dreamt of ISU being in as good a position as they are now. The only thing is I’m sure people just think Campbell will leave in the next few years and ISU goes back to being a bad program.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If this is in fact true, SEC must be trying to create some kind of super conference that just dominates the landscape of college football even more than they already do. But if they do that, I think you see the other major conferences do the same thing. Maybe there is no Big 12 anymore but I think most of the teams would get absorbed into other conferences, be it the Pac 12, Big Ten or ACC.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

"BIG TEN: KANSAS AND IOWA STATE
The Big Ten is picky. They like their members to be part of the American Association of Universities. Guess which two remaining Big 12 schools are members? Yup. The Big Ten will take the Cyclones for their new-found football rep, and the Jayhawks for their basketball pedigree, though Iowa might put up a fight about allowing the Cyclones in the league."

I actually don't think Iowa would put a fight about this.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Thinking through this critically and strategically, it doesn't make sense. If there is a movement regarding NIL that the SEC is trying to capture then why would the SEC leave out Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, USC, etc, or those teams with storied histories. Yet they want to include UT and OU? If it's and ESPN-driven scenario, it makes even less sense... again, why begin a super conference that ignores those same teams? It doesn't add up.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
…though Iowa might put up a fight about allowing the Cyclones in the league."
I have no idea why Iowa would put up a fight about that.

A. It would simplify scheduling greatly for both teams, they’d play Thanksgiving Friday. **** Nebraska. And have a free non con slot for a top intersectional game every year.

B. Unlike with Mizzoo and A&M regarding OU and UT, we’re already on the schedule, and they’re arrogant enough to think they’d beat us most of the time anyway.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I have no idea why Iowa would put up a fight about that.

A. It would simplify scheduling greatly for both teams, they’d play Thanksgiving Friday. **** Nebraska. And have a free non con slot for a top intersectional game every year.

B. Unlike with Mizzoo and A&M regarding OU and UT, we’re already on the schedule, and they’re arrogant enough to think they’d beat us most of the time anyway.

Letting us into the Big Ten is throwing us a life raft and elevating us to parity with them forever. I can already see them rolling up the window and driving away as we're murdered.

Help Support Us

Become a patron