COLUMN: My perspective on Fred Hoiberg/Nebraska

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Hate to disagree, but I have to. Maybe he was blind because he wasn't objective about it.

But anyone with half a brain knew what the ending was going to be in Chicago. That organization is a dumpster fire. It has always been a dumpster fire. It will always be a dumpster fire.

I get having a dream. And if his jump to the NBA had been to almost anything other than that dumpster fire organization, I would have applauded it.

But nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. I'm with SC Cy. Nebraska is a dumpster fire of a basketball school. If he wants to coach in front of a bunch of Creighton fans that are just biding their time until the spring football game, he's being stupid stupid stupid yet again..
Umm...
3ba72f1a-54a2-4986-b0ac-12722fcde1bd.jpg

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Another point...is Dan Gable associated with ISU or Iowa? Are ISU fans salty he coached there?
Iowa. Not salty.

Most people don’t even know Kruger went to KSU or Self is a Poke. Lon is factually one of their better players, and has the accolades as such, but he’s not a beloved Wildcat.

I’m not mad if Hoiberg coaches Nebraska, he’s just not held in the same regard as a Cyclone legend.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Thank you.

I think people confuse my feelings on this as "I want Fred as ISU coach again". I don't. I want Prohm here for life.

This isn't TJ Otzelberger getting the Nebraska job as his "big break". Fred can have his pick of jobs. This is the Mayor, our ballboy, guard, and coach. This is The Mayor going to the enemy, going to the team and university that up and left the Big 12 and ISU, putting the entire future of the athletic department in harms way.

If he goes his reputation is tarnished for me. If he takes another job somewhere else they will have a new fan in me.

You just don't go to Iowa or Nebraska.

Ive been trying to explain how I don't care what he does .....until I saw he might actually coach at a school I hate a whole bunch. He could choose UCLA and Id finally stop hating them actually, now I have to hate Nebraska more I think because our Mayor, ball boy, guard and former coach who left ISU is now Nebby's coach. Whatever, pretty glad it's worked out well with CSP and looking forward to getting out of the first weekend of this year's tournament.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Even a dumpster fire organization can luck into the greatest player in NBA history. Remember this is the front office that sent Phil Jackson packing too.

How many free agents want to go there? I think Utah may actually be a better destination than Chicago, and that's ridiculous.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Do most ISU fans over sell Fred’s value? Seems like the common thought among the oh so wise cf poster brigade is he would just be options 1 and 1a at schools like KU or MSU and I just don’t see it.
He’s closer to those than Nebraska, but being Frost’s wingman is good money with low expectations. He’s even got a cute family story to sell.

One thing is certain, Fred should be sending thank you cards to McDermott for sucking so badly before he got here. The consistency of success was great (with the same core guys), but it’s not THAT hard to win at Iowa State.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Yes, I think we do.

As I mentioned in the column, we view him as this icon, which he is in our circle. Nationally, he's a guy who had a good run at Iowa State and failed in the NBA.

I'm telling you, let's say if Self leaves KU, Fred could not get that job.

I have to agree with this 100%. While it's true CFH did a wonderful job at ISU, the KU job is in a whole different universe. The expectations would be epic, and quite frankly Kansas could have their pick of the available names.

Personally, I'm neutral on Fred and his career. I'll always wish him well because of what he gave to Iowa State, but it's not my place to make his decisions for him.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
As I mentioned in the column, we view him as this icon, which he is in our circle. Nationally, he's a guy who had a good run at Iowa State and failed in the NBA.

I'm telling you, let's say if Self leaves KU, Fred could not get that job.
CW, you’re about as provincial as they come.

That’s one perspective, but another national perspective is he’s a guy that had a miraculous run at downtrodden Iowa State, and proved to be more of a college guy when coaching the dysfunctional Bulls.

The concern is more about the recruiting comments, desire to get back to the NBA, and price point.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
You can't coach a Midwest team within a relatively short drive from Ames and not compete for recruits against us. So that alone is enough to make it wrong for me.

But some of you don't probably realize or remember how gleeful and eager, downright giddy, almost all of the self-proclaimed greatest fans in the world (NU fans) were when the Big 12 was going to collapse leaving Iowa State to look to the Mountain West or the MAC for a new permanent home. I mean all the sports talk guys here in Nebraska were just having a daily laugh about the Big 12 is going to dissolve, and schools like Iowa State and K State will never be heard from again. Fans called in constantly to radio shows just so excited for this, I guess it made them feel all the more superior for having the courage to jump to the B1G.

So anyone associated with Iowa State, e.g., Hoiberg, becoming a Husker, is simply unforgiveable. And you can't tell me he was never aware of the Husker joy over the imminent demise of Iowa State. He became coach in April, 2010 and Nebraska applied to the Big 10 in June. So he was right in the middle of it. So, no, I can't just wish him well on this one.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Why doesn't he wait on somewhere like maybe Texas or LSU to open up? Hell maybe even Arizona could open up. Or Kansas if the Self to the Bulls rumors are true.
It's a weird thing this year that a lot of the potential jobs that are clearly better than Nebraska have a cloud hanging over them (Kansas, LSU, Arizona). Texas is still out there but that's only one job.

UCLA should get who they want. Even though the facility may not be great and the support is down, it still has gobs of tradition, is one of the best public schools in the country, and it's located in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the country. Unless the UCLA president or AD was an Indiana fan, I have no idea why they ever went with Alford. All this being said, UCLA's colors would really accentuate Fred's dreamy eyes and it is LA so that matters more than most other places.

• Creative
Reactions: aauummm

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I haven't cared much about Fred since he decided the NBA was a good idea.

I haven't watched game with kNU as a participant since the last time we played them, don't plan on watching them any time soon. Luckily I don't have to be around very many Cooter Cornholers to hear about how great he is or how bad he sucks on a normal basis.

Reactions: aauummm

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I said this in the other thread, but I also grew up in Western Iowa in the 90's. I. HATE. NEBRASKA.

Seeing Fred in Husker Feces will make me physically sick. It's not because I want him back or because I do not like Prohm. I really like Prohm. And I'm not wanting Fred to not coach again either.

But ISU's favorite son should not wear Husker crap. Ever.

Help Support Us

Become a patron