COLUMN: My perspective on Fred Hoiberg/Nebraska

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This would be a great column for Husker fanatic or hoiberg fanatic!

This probably comes across more bitchy than I mean for it to.

But I swear we get more hoiberg is the best ever crap on here than is warranted. Or if we could awknowledge that the whole thing sort of sucks. Most importantly it sucks for our current coach who constantly gets treated like the ugly step kid around here.

Last edited:

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

This is your lifelong best friend, who's extraordinarily good looking and charming and can get any woman he wants, nailing your overweight and ugly sister.

I'm sorry but this isn't cool to me. Not everyone will agree but not everyone has to live is this ******* state.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Me when I opened this thread and saw jsb was first:

giphy.gif

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny

This is your lifelong best friend, who's extraordinarily good looking and charming and can get any woman he wants, nailing your overweight and ugly sister.

I'm sorry but this isn't cool to me. Not everyone will agree but not everyone has to live is this ******* state.
I feel for you. It's easier to ignore unl in central IA. Especially the BB team. But if I still lived in that state out west I would be absolutely LIVID to have to put up with McDoormat AND Fred aiding and abetting the enemy.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Me when I opened this thread and saw jsb was first:

giphy.gif

I’ve got a well earned reputation to live up to ;)

And this is my big moment. For years I’ve predicted he’d be back in college and no one believed me. I WAS RIGHT! :)

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

It's about time you stop living with your overweight and ugly sister.

• Winner
Reactions: deadeyededric

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
If this actually comes to pass, I am more frustrated than anything.

Fans that go back to the Big 8 days know that Nebraska is on par with Kansas and Iowa. If Fred had to go to one of those three, I do prefer Nebraska.

While the situation is different in some regard than Gable or Sanderson, it still feels like the old Cyclone nut job!

Good luck to Fred as always, but it will take some time to get used to the Mayor of ISU/Ames living in Lincoln.

Go CSP!

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I feel for you. It's easier to ignore unl in central IA. Especially the BB team. But if I still lived in that state out west I would be absolutely LIVID to have to put up with McDoormat AND Fred aiding and abetting the enemy.

Thank you.

I think people confuse my feelings on this as "I want Fred as ISU coach again". I don't. I want Prohm here for life.

This isn't TJ Otzelberger getting the Nebraska job as his "big break". Fred can have his pick of jobs. This is the Mayor, our ballboy, guard, and coach. This is The Mayor going to the enemy, going to the team and university that up and left the Big 12 and ISU, putting the entire future of the athletic department in harms way.

If he goes his reputation is tarnished for me. If he takes another job somewhere else they will have a new fan in me.

You just don't go to Iowa or Nebraska.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I grew up watching Fred play in AAU ball, then for ISU. A significant amount of my fanaticism for all things ISU comes from the Johnny Orr/Hornacek/Grayer/Hoiberg years.

However, I hope, expect, so much more from ISU sports going forward. It will be interesting to watch CFH wherever he ends up. But it won't compare to the interest I have in all 3 of our teams (Women, Men, Grapplers) competing this and the next few weekends ;) Nor to the interest I'll have in every other team ISU fields going forward.

He made the most of his time at ISU, both times, player and coach. Lots of other really special people trying to do the same right now and we are really fortunate for that! They are the face of ISU now and I plan on investing all my fandom in them.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Happy for him? Of course.

“Full support” ? Not so much
Right. CW asked if there’s hostility in Manhattan towards Lon or in Stillwater towards Self.
Yes, they generally don’t wish well for them.

Moreover, those two are no longer really associated with KSU and Ok St. Which is the point CW failed to recognize. Fred is free to do whatever he likes, and if that includes coaching Nebraska, the fans are free to no longer view him the hometown hero (The Mayor) or hold him in the same esteem.

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
I’ve got a well earned reputation to live up to ;)

And this is my big moment. For years I’ve predicted he’d be back in college and no one believed me. I WAS RIGHT! :)
If so, you nailed it! Makes you wonder about all the "he hates college recruiting" talk.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I have no problem saying I'd root for Nebrasketball (except when competing for a recruit with ISU or playing ISU obviously) if Hoiberg was the coach there. He brought a lot of great memories to us and brought ISU bball back.

Plus we'd get to watch him beat Iowa!

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Ehh, so he coaches at Nebby...man's gotta work. He tried the NBA dream and it didn't work out...maybe he really is better suited for the college game, especially given the massive transfer movement that takes place every year...right up his alley.

He was never going to come back to ISU...how could he? Maybe he would be better than before...or maybe he would be worse. Why risk it?

Nebby, although many will argue is only a football school, has a crowd at most sports...heck they pretty much sold out the Pinnacle, despite having a worse than average team this year...sound familiar? He will succeed (if he takes the job) and will make life worse for Iowa, but especially Creighton, where McDermott has hogged the light for ten years.

Follow your dreams Fred...you never know where you will end up.

• Agree
Reactions: wcbsas