Cobra Kai (Karate Kid)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
Just binged last night. It was as if something inside of me has been bottled up for 30 years and exploded all over my living room. It was amazingly nostalgic. If Karate Kid was memorable part of your childhood, you will feel almost guilty for having that much excitement and nostalgic feeling.

Falselife

Jul 28, 2011
This show was a blast. It's far from perfect, but it is just so much fun. Just watch it and be happy. And then be sad as you wait who knows how long for season 2.

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Binge watched the whole series the last 3 nights. Kept me entertained and always wanting to watch the next episode, some cheesy moments, but overall a good story. i like how they’ve set it up for a 2nd season, if they choose to go that route.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
Stayed up til 2am last night and binge watched the whole season. Thoroughly entertaining, and cheesy as hell.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Count me as another great rating. The times where it's cheesy are almost all over the top nods to the the original. The fight scene in the cafeteria is incredible. I love the ways they set up parallels to the original stories but always with a different twist.

This is much better than the late 90s early 00s trend of turning 70s tv shows into comedy movies. It's not a straight comedy but it has comedy, some teen drama and some surprisingly decent action. It takes on modern day hot button issues in a way that's not overly preachy or blatantly political.

Think it would be great to have one or two more seasons. I checked out the other YouTube Red content briefly and yikes! Maybe I'm just too old for it but outside of Cobra Kai they are light years off of Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, HBO, and even Crackle for original content. This is the one thing they've got going as a paid subscription content service for anybody over 18.

Last edited:

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
Late to the party here...I was hoping it would be more family friendly, but the language is too much. I can tell my eight year old to not use the b-word or the s-word in school. However, I’m not going to explain eye-banging or hand j*bs to him.

All that said, I’ll definitely watch it all.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I like that you are rooting for both sides which makes you more invested in the characters. Fun stuff

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Watched the first two episodes yesterday. Will watch the rest on the free trial. Definitely kinda cheesy on some scenes but overall a great watch!!

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Watched the first two episodes yesterday. Will watch the rest on the free trial. Definitely kinda cheesy on some scenes but overall a great watch!!

I like the Rocky 4 type scene where Johnny is driving in his car and just remembering all the stuff that happened in the past. Like he just can't get over the All Valley Karate Tourney. It's such a classic 1980's montage.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This show significantly outperformed viewership for five new seasons of Netflix and Hulu's major shows despite Youtube Red having roughly 110x less subscribers than Netflix.

The question is how many people unsubscribe before the free trial is up. If they had a second decent series to slowly launch right now this week they'd be killing it. They basically have a year to come up with another series to try to keep people going the way AMC did when they strung Mad Men and Breaking Bad and Walking Dead together as consecutive hits. We're talking about Google here, it's not like they don't have the resources. Looking at their previous original content lineup I think this is the first title they even attempted to have appeal to people over 16.

With Youtube having finally outsmarted most ad blockers I'd say the ad free watching is worth a little $ but probably not $120 a year. It's kind of like Prime...the free shipping is worth about $5-10 a month to me and the streaming video is worth $5-10 to me...so it's a great deal combined when just one or the other would be lacking. Ad free youtube is worth $3-4 a month to me so they have to find a way to make the original content cover that gap.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This show significantly outperformed viewership for five new seasons of Netflix and Hulu's major shows despite Youtube Red having roughly 110x less subscribers than Netflix.

How do we know this? I thought we didn't get info from Netflix on viewership for their shows.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

The question is how many people unsubscribe before the free trial is up. If they had a second decent series to slowly launch right now this week they'd be killing it. They basically have a year to come up with another series to try to keep people going the way AMC did when they strung Mad Men and Breaking Bad and Walking Dead together as consecutive hits. We're talking about Google here, it's not like they don't have the resources. Looking at their previous original content lineup I think this is the first title they even attempted to have appeal to people over 16.

With Youtube having finally outsmarted most ad blockers I'd say the ad free watching is worth a little $ but probably not $120 a year. It's kind of like Prime...the free shipping is worth about $5-10 a month to me and the streaming video is worth $5-10 to me...so it's a great deal combined when just one or the other would be lacking. Ad free youtube is worth $3-4 a month to me so they have to find a way to make the original content cover that gap.

They already renewed a second season. So we shall also see how many people sign up for that season as well. I honestly didn't look at any other content on that youtube red deal. So I am not sure if it's worth it. They might hit a niche if they can come up with another 1980's TV franchise to remake.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
They already renewed a second season. So we shall also see how many people sign up for that season as well. I honestly didn't look at any other content on that youtube red deal. So I am not sure if it's worth it. They might hit a niche if they can come up with another 1980's TV franchise to remake.

I'll just make a new Youtube account and binge that one too.