Coaching Choice POLL

Out of the likely only four candidates, which one gets your vote?

• TJ Otzelberger

Votes: 237 59.1%
  • Brad Underwood

Votes: 47 11.7%
  • Steve Prohm

Votes: 83 20.7%
  • Bryce Drew

Votes: 34 8.5%

• Total voters

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's definitely a big one, and part of the reason the board is so divided. As bad as the bickering has been, the "I told you so's over the next few years will probably be worse.

Especially if Brad Underwood goes to KSU at any point and beats us one time. "Oh I was #teamunderwood from the beginning I knew this one would come back to haunt us. JP doesn't know what he's doing and I've been saying it from the late 80's"

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I'm on Team Prohm.

Followed by, in order;

Underwood
T.J.
Drew

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Id be fine with TJ or Prom. Underwood doesn't really excite me but I'd take him too I guess. I don't want anyone with the last name Drew stepping into Hilton unless they are coaching the visiting team.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Why do some prefer Phohm over Underwood? Prohm has never been a P5 assistant which scares me to death.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
If you raise this question to any other school in the country. Assume that their coach left, and you have these 4 choices. I assume Otz would get less than 5% of the vote. Even Green Bay and Northern Kentucky wouldn't have him over 5% compared to the other choices.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Why do some prefer Phohm over Underwood? Prohm has never been a P5 assistant which scares me to death.

More dynamic, energetic personality and has put 2 PGs in the NBA.

Downside is very little P5 experience and is more of a southern/SEC guy than a Midwest guy.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you raise this question to any other school in the country. Assume that their coach left, and you have these 4 choices. I assume Otz would get less than 5% of the vote. Even Green Bay and Northern Kentucky wouldn't have him over 5% compared to the other choices.

In that scenario does Otz have 7 years at that school or at ISU?

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Of the candidates listed I currently prefer them in this order: (1) TJ; (2) Prohm; (3) Drew; and (4) Underwood. Thanks & Go Cyclones!!!

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
This needs to be posted, even though it really doesn't help his coaching cred necessarily.

[video=youtube;2Rm_eAiV4dA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rm_eAiV4dA[/video]

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Then of course not. Same reason why the Wisky and MSU assistants aren't on our shortlist.

Fair enough. I understand a bump for the home town (kind of?) crowd, but to go from not even remotely desired for any other program in the country to 60% for ISU fans, is a substantial difference.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Fair enough. I understand a bump for the home town (kind of?) crowd, but to go from not even remotely desired for any other program in the country to 60% for ISU fans, is a substantial difference.

I imagine that this same discussion would happen if Gard or Stephens was a candidate to replace Ryan or Izzo. There would be some cranky people pointing out that thei assistants couldn't even get an interview at lowly ISU.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Well fans are morons and generally uniformed across the board. Who do you think the AD/Pres should listen to? Fans that really don't know how good of a coach TJ is or how TJ is viewed within the coaching fraternity? I doubt anyone here is on the level required to adequately judge his coaching abilities (and I'm not talking about the records of the teams he's been on, I'm talking actual coaching and his basketball mind) nor is anyone a deep enough part of the CBB coaching fraternity to actually know what TJ's rep is there.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I think its hilarious that people think that people are so quick to dismiss Prohm and Underwood. Then again I remember when everybody was ******** because we hired Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy. Especially Larry.

Last edited: