Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational (Friday & Saturday)

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Can't complain about 4th place? Maybe I wouldn't complain about 4th place at nationals but this is horse ****!

I know you're a troll but I'll clear this up for any posters casually scanning this thread.

1st place went to a three-time All-American who has finished 5-2-3 the past three years. 2nd went to the defending champ. 3rd went to a guy who's been ranked top 10 the last couple years. I would've loved it if Earl got 3rd or better, but 4th at Cliff Keen is not the end of the world.

CyAGR

Nov 21, 2014
Iowa
So a day later...

125:
Larson did what I expected him to
133: Disappointed in that last match, and Hall needs to stop being so tentative, but he scored points when it counted. He should have won that last match to take 3rd but he did a lot better than most of the guys this weekend.
141: Really disappointed in Dante's performance. He had the weakest weight class in the tournament sitting there for him and he failed to place.
149: Gabe's loss to Short doesn't look as bad as it did when it happened so I just hope his shoulder is okay and his medical default wasn't due to something that'll keep him out for a while. Though regardless I hope we sit him against Wyoming
157: Good win for Logan over a ranked wrestler, I'll take it. I think we're looking at "fringe qualifier" for 157 this year.
165: Weatherman needs to get consistent. Sometimes he wrestles to where he was expected to, sometimes he drops bad matches. He had two good wins and two bad losses this weekend.
174: Like Dante, really disappointed in Spoon's performance. He had a relatively weak bracket, was seeded high, and failed to place
184: Awesome weekend for Pestano. Picked up some decent wins and made it into day two when I was hoping he'd maybe be able to win just one match. Gives me some hope he can at least keep the 184 or 197 spot respectable for us this year if he has to. Not great, but maybe around what Mayfield did a couple years ago when he was in the lineup.
197: Hope Egli can get healthy
HWT: Scanlon did what I expected him to.

This is an accurate analysis of where we are at at this point of the season. With that in mind, I have to temper my expectations for Nationals. Preseason I thought we had a chance to be a top ten team. After the Iowa loss and HNO, I debated in another thread how we would be a 10 to 15 team. Realistically now I see us being a 15 to 30 team at Nationals. Hopefully our mat skills, aggressiveness, and decision making skills improve drastically as the season progresses. The first part of this season has not been encouraging.

Last edited:

cytopia

Feb 13, 2014
Des Moines
I know you're a troll but I'll clear this up for any posters casually scanning this thread.

1st place went to a three-time All-American who has finished 5-2-3 the past three years. 2nd went to the defending champ. 3rd went to a guy who's been ranked top 10 the last couple years. I would've loved it if Earl got 3rd or better, but 4th at Cliff Keen is not the end of the world.

You can go ahead and settle for fourth place. I'm not going to and im sure Earl doesn't like it either.

It's not a good thing to lower your expectations. Thanks for the lesson though. It's cute that you thought I was unaware who was in his bracket.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Cool, the trolls that have ruined every single wrestling board on the internet but this one are back. I see they're going with "I only speak in absolutes" as an opening bid. I look forward to such discussions as "Pathetic is the only adjective I know", "As a Hawk fan, I think it is still 1982", and the old favorite, "Casual racism".

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
Cool, the trolls that have ruined every single wrestling board on the internet but this one are back. I see they're going with "I only speak in absolutes" as an opening bid. I look forward to such discussions as "Pathetic is the only adjective I know", "As a Hawk fan, I think it is still 1982", and the old favorite, "Casual racism".

The trolls are really bringing the wrestling board down. They are completing their agenda. Every time I see a new post or thread on the wrestling forum I hesitate to read it because of the ignorance. I feel dumber every time I read one of their posts and feel shame for humanity.

I know the "shame for humanity" part was really hyperbole, but I pity them if they really feel that way; I also pity them if they post these things just for the reaction it generates - that would be a pitiful existence.

I know not everything is gumdrops and rainbows, but to show such disappointment (disgust) in a group of 20-something year old's (and program) doing their best because you have some sort of superiority complex is a shame on you.

Every program is doing their best to bring excellence. Ours is no difference. If you don't have patience and feel the need to have every impulse validated (and vindicated) then you need counseling. Not a membership on Cyclone Fanatic. Take your membership costs and apply it to get some help.

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The trolls are really bringing the wrestling board down. They are completing their agenda. Every time I see a new post or thread on the wrestling forum I hesitate to read it because of the ignorance. I feel dumber every time I read one of their posts and feel shame for humanity.

I know the "shame for humanity" part was really hyperbole, but I pity them if they really feel that way; I also pity them if they post these things just for the reaction it generates - that would be a pitiful existence.

I know not everything is gumdrops and rainbows, but to show such disappointment (disgust) in a group of 20-something year old's (and program) doing their best because you have some sort of superiority complex is a shame on you.

And then they'll complain that everybody else just loves KJ and has their head in the sand, or some variation on that. No, there's lots of things to be disappointed or complain about and if you you read the threads there's always discussion going on about it. Nobody expects every post to be positive. But there's a big difference between discussing and just being an ***. You can be unhappy and voice displeasure without personal attacks and blanket statements.

I think the biggest thing is having appropriate expectations. Pestano had the same outcome (R12 loss) as Dante and Lelund. I'm stoked about that for Pestano and upset about that for Dante and Lelund. Because my expectations for them were different.

Last edited:

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
You can go ahead and settle for fourth place. I'm not going to and im sure Earl doesn't like it either.

It's not a good thing to lower your expectations. Thanks for the lesson though. It's cute that you thought I was unaware who was in his bracket.

So you knew exactly who was in Earl's bracket and still posted that supid ****? My favorite part is where you said you're not going to accept it. What exactly are you going to do about it? Spend more time ******* and moaning on the internet?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Only thing I will say about Earl is he wrestle to win vs Brewer and expected to win. Against DiCamillo, after he got down, seems like he lost his desire to win that match.

We need to figure out how to keep the intensity in every match. We wrestle some real good guys very well, but then turn and struggle against some average guys.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
So you knew exactly who was in Earl's bracket and still posted that supid ****? My favorite part is where you said you're not going to accept it. What exactly are you going to do about it? Spend more time ******* and moaning on the internet?

In his defense, rewind 1-2 years (or even just a month) and tell me if you feel good that Hall got whipped by someone "who's been ranked in the top 10 at times in the past two years." Those are guys he should be handling comfortably at this point in his career.

That said, I agree with you that it's not exactly the end of the world and I also LOL'ed when cytopia said he's not going to settle for 4th place. I bet he's out conditioning right now.

cloneswillwin

Sep 27, 2009
West Des Moines
In his defense, rewind 1-2 years (or even just a month) and tell me if you feel good that Hall got whipped by someone "who's been ranked in the top 10 at times in the past two years." Those are guys he should be handling comfortably at this point in his career.

That said, I agree with you that it's not exactly the end of the world and I also LOL'ed when cytopia said he's not going to settle for 4th place. I bet he's out conditioning right now.

Nice try lol

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron