Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational (Friday & Saturday)

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Hall down 3-2 after the first. Brewer has a bit over a minute of RT. Brewer is the heavy favorite so anything Hall can do in this match is a plus.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Hall down 7-4 going into the third. Hall almost had a reversal late but wasn't able to finish before the whistle.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
He gets out but I still think it was a bad call to go down to begin with. Down 7-5 but Brewer has RT locked up so really 8-5.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Hall goes down 12-5 after giving up a late TD and backpoints. Until the last 3 seconds it was a really good match from Hall.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Hall needs to explode at the whistle when underneath. When he sits and waits, like he did against Clark, seems to struggle more. Mainly when wrestling the real good guys.

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
Weatherspoon's loss is very disheartening. I guess I will lower my expectations for him too. Par for the course this year.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
3-7 loss for Tanner. Whatever the team has been doing the last month in practice needs to change. Lots of shots stopped as soon as they finish the initial attack, heads down on bottom, and hanging out happy to hope to win by 1 in the third.

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
How anyone thinks we are a top 15 team at NCAA's when we can't finish top 15 at the CK Invitational is beyond me. And I am well aware of the "potential" starters we have on the bench. Don't see it. March is going to be UGLY!

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
3-7 loss for Tanner. Whatever the team has been doing the last month in practice needs to change. Lots of shots stopped as soon as they finish the initial attack, heads down on bottom, and hanging out happy to hope to win by 1 in the third.

Outside of Hall, this weekend has been EMBARRASSING!!! This is disgusting wrestling and as ISU fans we should NOT find this acceptable.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Weatherspoon's loss is very disheartening. I guess I will lower my expectations for him too. Par for the course this year.

Our wrestling program is at the point where we are only getting two wrestlers to the semifinals (none to the finals) of the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational (not the national championships)...and we are rewarding our coach for it with contract extentions. We are not even competitive with national title contenders now.

Sorry for the rant, just can't believe how far the wrestling program has dropped under Jackson, and nobody that matters in our athletic department seems to care.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
I am usually as positive as they come but I am out of words. The start to this season is just awful. Frankly, if it can get worse, I don't know how. The Iowa meet was my last one- I cannot watch our guys struggle from the bottom position and/or not finish shots anymore.

We lack in every area you can name. There is possibly- top 20 talent in the room and if is that good, it certainly is not being trained into top 20 talent.

I am frustrated with performances like this. Today- I want to scream SHUT IT DOWN. Let's just drop wrestling if this is how good we are wanting to be.

I will bounce back tomorrow and be supportive but today (and yesterday) has me ****** off

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
Our wrestling program is at the point where we are only getting two wrestlers to the semifinals (none to the finals) of the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational (not the national championships)...and we are rewarding our coach for it with contract extentions. We are not even competitive with national title contenders now.

Sorry for the rant, just can't believe how far the wrestling program has dropped under Jackson, and nobody that matters in our athletic department seems to care.

ONE!!!!! Not two semi-finalists...ONE. Earl Hall. He wrestled Brewer very tough, but didn't look great in other matches. This weekend has been horrible. And Midlands will be more of the same and finally NCAA's will put us out of our misery. Looking at next year, we lose our likely lone decent point scorer - Hall. So damn frustrating...

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
ONE!!!!! Not two semi-finalists...ONE. Earl Hall. He wrestled Brewer very tough, but didn't look great in other matches. This weekend has been horrible. And Midlands will be more of the same and finally NCAA's will put us out of our misery. Looking at next year, we lose our likely lone decent point scorer - Hall. So damn frustrating...

I stand corrected...1 semi-finalist. What a joke.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Definitely have to figure the match wrestling out. I don't mind so much if the guys don't want to ride, except when we have 15 to 20 seconds left in a period. That 2 for a takedown and 1 for escape is huge at the end of periods. We seem to give up more of them than we get. But Tanner did get a great ride out in blood round against McFadden.

But on the other side, we don't get out from bottom and can not give up that riding point and not get the escape.

I also was hoping Dante, Logan or Kyle would establish themselves as a starter this week, but have to think all spot are open for Boston, Meeks and Nardo yet.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Logan and Pestaoa did the best compared to expectations. Logan even took out a ranked guy. That plus Naroi locking up against Iowa would give him the spot, I'd think.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think Midlands will be another chance for 141 and 157. Curious if Boston will wrestle Midlands (at 125 or 133), want to see him wrestle

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron