Cincy's Kelly maybe Irish answer?

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
It should! IMO with that talent and him as a coach they are a top 5 team right away

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I think Kelly is a good fit for Notre Dame. He can get the most out of his 2nd & 3rd string guys at Cincy imagine what he could do there. The question is does Urban Meyer get thrown into the mix as well?

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
The "problem" as I understand it at ND is that their administration has been unwilling to lower academic entrance standards for FB players like is done at most of the DI schools.

As I understand it, Lou Holtz was able to talk them into this while he was there. I would bet that a guy with leverage like Urban Meyer would make this a point in any negotiation process.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
If I were ND...I would certainly look at Brian Kelly...but my first choice might be Pat Fitzgerald. That guy just seems like he was born to be successful! He is first-class all the way, coaches with intensity, is successful at a school that has high academic standards and kids sell out for him! I know he hasn't won at a level that ND expects...but Northwestern doesn't have half the resources ND has either! Fitzgerald would be like night and day compared to Weis! Would Fitzgerald leave his alma mater?

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Weis will be fired by season's end. The two bigs they will be looking at is Jon Gruden and of course Brian Kelly.

Gruden's Dad coached for the Irish back in the 70s. He does have ties to South Bend.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I doubt they would even go after him, but I would leave NW.

I agree with that...ND thinks they are better than going after a up and coming coach! Hence one of their biggest problems in that athletic department...ARROGANCE!

Can't just hire a solid football coach...they need to hire the next Vince Lombardi because ND is the greatest football program ever...just ask them!

Note: I am a ND fan...but I can't stand Weis or the attitude of the athletic department over the past 5 years.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
If I were ND...I would certainly look at Brian Kelly...but my first choice might be Pat Fitzgerald. That guy just seems like he was born to be successful! He is first-class all the way, coaches with intensity, is successful at a school that has high academic standards and kids sell out for him! I know he hasn't won at a level that ND expects...but Northwestern doesn't have half the resources ND has either! Fitzgerald would be like night and day compared to Weis! Would Fitzgerald leave his alma mater?

I have a lot of Domer relatives and I keep telling them Kirk Ferentz is their guy but he doesn't seem to have enough pizzazz for them. They all want Urban Meyer badly but I think he'd be a sucker to take that job.

Kelly would be great but your mention of Fitzgerald has piqued my interest. A couple guys named Parseghian (from NW too) and Holtz did pretty well coming from the B10

What is certain is that Weis is never going to get it done there.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Good fit for ND, but is it a good fit for Kelly? He owns the keys in Cinncy. And he will have plenty of offers this year, depending on who is looking for a coach. IMO, I see him dominating that conference for a while, as long as his recruiting is solid.

If so, IMO, Kelly should wait for a "better" job to come along. I'm not a ND hater, but it's a very different culture there and academic standards can make it a bit tougher on a coach. Why not hang out a bit longer at Cinncy and see what shakes out at say...Michigan?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I don't know why Kelly wouldn't stay at Cinci. Like 22 said he's got the keys to the city, that university will give him anything he needs and he's in position to be the dominant team in the Big East.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I just think Michigan would be a perfect fit for him and not just because he's already coached in that state. Cinncy is in Big 10 country, not like his recruiting lines can't easily be shifted.

Not much risk staying where he's at and IMO, Michigan is looking for a new coach if they don't have a much better year in 2010.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I just think Michigan would be a perfect fit for him and not just because he's already coached in that state. Cinncy is in Big 10 country, not like his recruiting lines can't easily be shifted.

Not much risk staying where he's at and IMO, Michigan is looking for a new coach if they don't have a much better year in 2010.

I'm assuming that this is why he's in Cincy. ND is the B10's twelfth team and history/tradition wise they're very similar to Mich. If he holds out for Michigan he might regret it.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
If he holds out for Michigan he might regret it.

In what way? Being "stuck" at Cinncy and continuing to win? I'm just not seeing many of the other Big East teams take that next step. It will be competitive, but IMO, as long as Kelly is there Cinncy controls that conference.

Hold out until the job you want comes open and make sure through back channels those schools are aware you may be interested should they decide to pick up the phone.

I'd contend there is a decent chance if he went to ND, he'd regret it.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I don't know why Kelly wouldn't stay at Cinci. Like 22 said he's got the keys to the city, that university will give him anything he needs and he's in position to be the dominant team in the Big East.

Ambition. he could sustain a high level of success for longer and more consistently at Mich/ND than at Cincy.

Mich/ND have deeper pockets than Cincy, much deeper.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
In what way? Being "stuck" at Cinncy and continuing to win? I'm just not seeing many of the other Big East teams take that next step. It will be competitive, but IMO, as long as Kelly is there Cinncy controls that conference.

Hold out until the job you want comes open and make sure through back channels those schools are aware you may be interested should they decide to pick up the phone.

I'd contend there is a decent chance if he went to ND, he'd regret it.

He might regret it because it might not come open and ND is the next best thing; defacto B10 school w/ tons of tradtion and money.

They "King of Cincy" argument works for a guy like Paul Rhoads but I think BK is a lot more like Urban Meyer (the former King of Utah).

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Getting a nice payday has to be considered in these situations...coaches have to cash in when they can. Sure Dan Hawkins might have "enjoyed" his time at Boise State had he stayed...but he is cashing a much bigger check at Colorado. I could see why any coach would be intrigued by ND...but it is a tough tough job!

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
Ask Schiano at Rutgers if he regrets staying? I imagine so, as it may seem easy to stay on top, but never is.

Brian Kelly would not make the mistake Greg Schiano made.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Harbaugh would be a better fit than Kelly at ND. He has already been at too tough academic schools and shown to do well. Kelly has taken academic and character chances on a ton of guys everywhere he has been.