Cincinnati Xavier brawl

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
The Cincinnati coach is a piece of ****. How can you say something about kicking players off the team then just suspending the dumb piece of **** who threw punches 6 games. Its a disgrace to college basketball, that player and everyone involved needs to be kicked off the team.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
I'm sorry but when you sucker punch somebody in the face or try to stomp on somebody's face, you don't deserve to call yourself a college athlete and you don't deserve the scholarship! Both should be kicked off the team in my opinion!

The player is a thug. There is no way he truthfully earned a high school diploma and still performed that stunt

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
racism ITT.

Not sure what you are talking about there. Someone suggested that they were surprised that some of these players were able to get high school degrees. All I was saying is that it is in no way difficult to get a high school degree...not sure where you get racism from that.

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
racism ITT.
Newsweek_Racist_Cats.jpg

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
No way should these kids be kicked off the team. Suspended yes. Kicked off no. Kids don't get kicked off for assaulting someone off the court. It usually results in a couple game suspension. So why would it be any different on the court. On the court it seems more explainable because emotions are high in a rivalry and if one person starts then you have the teams sticking up for their own guys.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
No way should these kids be kicked off the team. Suspended yes. Kicked off no. Kids don't get kicked off for assaulting someone off the court. It usually results in a couple game suspension. So why would it be any different on the court. On the court it seems more explainable because emotions are high in a rivalry and if one person starts then you have the teams sticking up for their own guys.

So you think somebody who tries to stomp on somebody's head deserves to still be on scholarship? I'm sorry but that's just wrong!

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Ohio prosecutor mulls charges for in-game fight - College Basketball - Rivals.com
An Ohio prosecutor said Monday he will consider criminal charges in the aftermath of a players brawl at the end of the Cincinnati-Xavier basketball game, as stunned fans and school officials pondered the tarnishing blow delivered to one of the city’s most eagerly anticipated annual events. Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deters said in a statement that his office would determine whether any criminal charges were appropriate. He declined further comment.
Deters, a University of Cincinnati alumnus, didn’t specify what charges would be considered, but possible charges could include assault and battery or disorderly conduct. A spokeswoman said he hadn’t set a timetable for a decision

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
So you think somebody who tries to stomp on somebody's head deserves to still be on scholarship? I'm sorry but that's just wrong!

Actually it is not wrong. It is an opinion. Why should there be harsher punishment for kids from actions on the court as opposed to off the court. You are being a bit reactionary. When has anyone ever been kicked off of a team for a fight on the court. Now maybe if this kid has had lots of problems in the past and this is the final straw. But they haven't said these kids have caused problems before.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Actually it is not wrong. It is an opinion. Why should there be harsher punishment for kids from actions on the court as opposed to off the court. You are being a bit reactionary. When has anyone ever been kicked off of a team for a fight on the court. Now maybe if this kid has had lots of problems in the past and this is the final straw. But they haven't said these kids have caused problems before.

Blount Punches a guy in the head and gets 10 games, Artest starts a brawl and gets almost the whole season. These two sucker punch and try to stomp on someone's head and get SIX GAMES? The only thing more embarrasing than the brawl are the punishments.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
The thing is, these players are ON SCHOLARSHIP representing the University and fighting is NOT allowed in CBBall. Gates deserves season if not being kicked off the team for his role, Holloway most definitely deserves more than one game as he instigated the whole thing. The guy who tried to stop on Frease's (sp?) face should be booted. For the other guys I can see 6 games as a reasonable punishment.

Also, to the argument made saying these guys are 18-20 and get worked up and fight, based on your logic this should happen all of the time. Teams get heated all of the time during games, but as a player you have to have the ability to hold back and let your game do the talking. There is absolutely no excuse for getting in a fight or brawl.

How are they supposed to win any games with people kicked off the team? :skeptical: You cant win without players. College athletics are all about winning and money.

cyclone22

Sep 14, 2011
Ames, IA
Blount Punches a guy in the head and gets 10 games, Artest starts a brawl and gets almost the whole season. These two sucker punch and try to stomp on someone's head and get SIX GAMES? The only thing more embarrasing than the brawl are the punishments.

Listen up everybody! Gods gift to the world "cy4prez" is talking. You are an angel among us and have never gotten mad or in a fight in your life!

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Listen up everybody! Gods gift to the world "cy4prez" is talking. You are an angel among us and have never gotten mad or in a fight in your life!

No I haven't is there a problem with that? What you're trying to say is that anytime somebody gets mad in a game they should just punch somebody. Solid logic.

cyclone22

Sep 14, 2011
Ames, IA
No I haven't is there a problem with that? What you're trying to say is that anytime somebody gets mad in a game they should just punch somebody. Solid logic.

Not what I am saying. I am saying people have gotten into fights in every aspect of life for hundreds of years. It is human nature. As long as some person doesn't get beaten to a pulp, i dont see the problem in that. Sometimes fights are going to happen, I'm guessing you are not a hockey fan? lol

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Are you really comparing this incident to the Artest melee? You realize the NBA frowns on fighting fans in the stands just slightly more than fighting other players, right?

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Not what I am saying. I am saying people have gotten into fights in every aspect of life for hundreds of years. It is human nature. As long as some person doesn't get beaten to a pulp, i dont see the problem in that. Sometimes fights are going to happen, I'm guessing you are not a hockey fan? lol

Hockey is different. Fighting is a part the game in Hockey and you know that when you play you very well could have to fight. I guess I'm more concerned about the fact that Gates sucker punched Freese than anything. Freese was trying to prevent the fighting. I think I would have a different opinion if Freese was acting aggressively or trying to fight back.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
Hockey is different. Fighting is a part the game in Hockey and you know that when you play you very well could have to fight. I guess I'm more concerned about the fact that Gates sucker punched Freese than anything. Freese was trying to prevent the fighting. I think I would have a different opinion if Freese was acting aggressively or trying to fight back.

Fights in games are fine - stupid, but fine. The part that is amusing is to think that St. Francis Xavier would be pleased that an institution of "higher" learning founded in his name has a bunch of self-professed "gangstas," on "scholar"ship and (this is the kicker) acting as spokesmen for the university.

That's the part that cracks me up. Suspend them? Heck, I say, pay them in cash and let them run a sports betting ring in the name of academic research while they are at it.

Everybody knows that the elite athletes aren't in school for the book learning - what is funny is to see it displayed so nakedly while the (ostensibly intellectual) administration scrambles for excuses.

If the grown-ups had any smarts at all, they would have made sure that none of the young scholars would be forced into the position of chatting on camera after that mess.