Charlotte Transfer Dishon Jackson commits to the Cyclones!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
So who do you think's transferring since you mentioned it? I have guesses of a couple who might not be back. I don't want to get in trouble with speculation so I'm just giving the players with the best reason. Pav? Not sure his size and athleticism will get him much playing time. 3 more guards in the rotation and I'm guessing a couple at least to be able to contribute right away. Gonna be tough and he needs to bulk up some. Not sure what kind of game Hamilton's got. Looked good out of high-school, but have no clue how he's developing? Anyone got some insight on him? Beyond that I'd expect everyone back.
I'd rather not say and avoid the snowflake backlash. I'll just say our rotation players aren't going anywhere.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I'd rather not say and avoid the snowflake backlash. I'll just say our rotation players aren't going anywhere.
Damn, I did forget someone. You're right, I'm not getting the backlash even mentioning him.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'd say this comittment tells the Kentucky's of the world. TJ isn't going anywhere. But we'd be glad to sign you to a home and home.

That would be a good series. Tkts in Hilton would be pricey for that one I believe.

Reactions: nrg4isu

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Watson is the elephant in the room. IDK what will happen with him. I suspect Omaha returns but that's also something I'm not sure anyone really knows at this point.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I know this used to be the attitude around here, but I'm not sure it makes sense anymore. In the era of NIL and zero transfer restrictions it has become a central part of the game. And managing that is now critical for having success on the court. It is as important to our success as HS recruiting, player development, and in game coaching.

Players now have unlimited freedom to chase playing time, follow coaches, chase the bag, etc. Why should we not feel free to speculate on that? These guys are basically paid professionals now, and speculation about trades, cuts, and free agency stuff is par for the course of pro sports. You can't cast aside the whole student athlete angle when it benefits you then hide behind it when it gets uncomfortable.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I know this used to be the attitude around here, but I'm not sure it makes sense anymore. In the era of NIL and zero transfer restrictions it has become a central part of the game. And managing that is now critical for having success on the court. It is as important to our success as HS recruiting, player development, and in game coaching.

Players now have unlimited freedom to chase playing time, follow coaches, chase the bag, etc. Why should we not feel free to speculate on that? These guys are basically paid professionals now, and speculation about trades, cuts, and free agency stuff is par for the course of pro sports. You can't cast aside the whole student athlete angle when it benefits you then hide behind it when it gets uncomfortable.
But it's not MY job. Now I'm being criticized for not saying who I think will transfer. Truth is I've never spoken to any if these players. How could I possibly know who has a foot out the door?

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
Gotta laugh at all the coaches that opted out of the NIT to recruit the portal. TJ and staff are trying to get to the elite 8 and still kicking their ass
TJ continuing to advance his team into the second weekend is a better recruiting tool than these offseason coaches giving their recruiting pitches. These sweet 16 coaches probably have a lot of guys coming to them.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
But it's not MY job. Now I'm being criticized for not saying who I think will transfer. Truth is I've never spoken to any if these players. How could I possibly know who has a foot out the door?

I'm not trying to call you out in any way. My beef is with the general attitude on the board that we shouldn't speculate on transfers. I think in the current cfb environment it should be fair game, whether you have a little inside info to back your speculation or not. It is a discussion board after all, most of what goes on here is just opinion and speculation.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Who's the snowfake here now? I don't see any criticism of you. Yet, haha.

Just kidding around, pulling your chain. :)

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Watson is the elephant in the room. IDK what will happen with him. I suspect Omaha returns but that's also something I'm not sure anyone really knows at this point.
Seems to me that Watson will get a lot more playing time next year, maybe starter minutes. Biliew also. If they both stay, of course.

One factor, I guess, would be what defines 'starter minutes' in TJ's lineups of late? And how much those two feel they should play.

Having really good players stay just means more guys in the rotation (9-10), which I think is an advantage for us, anyway. The guys exert a lot of energy on defense.

Reactions: rosshm16

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Did Watson show much shooting ability pre-ISU? He'd be a matchup nightmare with a corner three or a mid-range jumper.

I'd imagine he could go somewhere and get 30 minutes/game. Same for Pav. Depends on what they want and what they think is best for them. Omaha who knows, he hasn't shown enough this year for me to have any strong opinions on his role next year. Hopefully he stays and shows why he was a five-star but of course we all hope that.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Let's just say, mid major fans are not happy with NIL and transfers. They don't seem to be mad at the players themselves as much as the whole system.

View attachment 126312
I hadn't looked at any fan boards but had thought this had to be inevitable at mid and low majors. You develop guys and they want to prove themselves at a better level of competition so they bail. It has to suck. The only hope for them in terms of competing is getting guys transferring down b/c of playing time. But the lack of continuity could end up being what kills the golden goose; the posters on that thread just don't want to support their team anymore.

I care more about our former 4-year guys like Monte, Georges and Matt than I do about the 1 or 2-year guys like THT, Lindell and Tyrese, for example. That continuity is important to fans; maybe you forgive it if you're winning trophies but, otherwise, it erodes the connection.

College sports in 10 years - maybe 5 - could end up being unrecognizable b/c almost every university is under budget pressure and the economics of low-to-mid majors probably won[t work.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Reminds me, physically, of the greatest NBA power forward all time Karl “The Mailman” Malone. Malone listed at 6’9” 260 lbs. When Karl took the ball to the hole, you didn’t see anybody stepping in the way for a flop charging call. Would have loved to have seen him steamroll Marcus Flop Smart.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Did Watson show much shooting ability pre-ISU? He'd be a matchup nightmare with a corner three or a mid-range jumper.

I'd imagine he could go somewhere and get 30 minutes/game. Same for Pav. Depends on what they want and what they think is best for them. Omaha who knows, he hasn't shown enough this year for me to have any strong opinions on his role next year. Hopefully he stays and shows why he was a five-star but of course we all hope that.
Watson did show the ability to shoot the three in high school. With more opportunities and more confidence at this level I think he could be a good outside shooter. That is not his role right now, but it could be with a more expanded role on the team.

Reactions: rosshm16

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'm not trying to call you out in any way. My beef is with the general attitude on the board that we shouldn't speculate on transfers. I think in the current cfb environment it should be fair game, whether you have a little inside info to back your speculation or not. It is a discussion board after all, most of what goes on here is just opinion and speculation.
I agree with you but get fed up with the parent like protection on her.
Alright here's how I see it.
Directly after their end of season meetings I think Paveletzke enters the portal. Available minutes in the backcourt will be at a premium and I think Indrusaitis takes his. I really like Pav I just think the program has moved forward so fast he's not going to find minutes.

Within a day or two of his departure we add our second big. If it's a pure center Hamilton transfers. He'd be my guess as 13th man. If it's a PF/C combo type the departure is likely Omaha. Hope I'm wrong here but don't see anyway he sits a second year.

Now it gets exciting. TJ looks for one last piece, a big guard with solid offensive skills that has one year to play. This doesn't necessarily push anyone out as Indrusaitis as a freshman just gets a year to develop.

Here's what that rotation looks like
5. Jackson 25+ minutes
4/5 2nd portal big off the bench 20 or so minutes
3/4 Momcilovic 30+ minutes
3/4 Watson 10ish minutes
3. Big guard transfer 25 minutes
2/3 Jones 25 minutes
1/2 Gilbert 30 minutes
1 Lipsey 30 minutes.

Rest of Bench (out of rotation)
Rock gets spot minutes and could take over the backup C minutes by mid season.

Fish likely squeezed out one more year. Expect big things as a redshirt sophomore.

Indrusaitis spot minutes but if he shoots as well as he looks in the highlights TJ will pick his spots to get him in.

Pierce I see him m/l as a redshirt end of bench contributor

I don't like the thought of guys getting pushed out but with the right 3 adds this team is in the 1st tier of the NC discussion.

Last edited: