Charlie Weis Offically Out...

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Stoops' success at OU is due largely in part to his ability to attract top athletes from Texas. I believe this is largely due to Stoops himself and his staff, and not OU the school, because it wasn't happening before Stoops got to OU.
No, John Blake recruited tremendous, highly-ranked classes to OU prior to Stoops; he just couldn't coach them. The cupboard was stocked full for Bobby, and he even said that was a factor in his decision to come there.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Kelly is taking a lot of 2 star athletes and winning big in the Big East, a conference that is 12-4 in bowl games the last 3 years including a win over a highly ranked OU team in a BCS bowl. I think he would find a way to win with the athletes he would pull in at OU with no problem.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Stoops would be a fool to take that job. How much sense does it make to leave the #3 or #4 all time prestige program for the #1. OU has major recruiting advantages over Notre Dame being so close to Texas. I know Notre Dame has recruiting advantages too but OU's ability to take the top talent away from UT is keeping them dominant.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Kelly is taking a lot of 2 star athletes and winning big in the Big East, a conference that is 12-4 in bowl games the last 3 years including a win over a highly ranked OU team in a BCS bowl. I think he would find a way to win with the athletes he would pull in at OU with no problem.

Alot of those guys are only 2 star because of character issues and academic issues. I have heard he has a reputation for bringing in thugs and not necessarily good at keeping them out of trouble either.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Stoops would be a fool to take that job. How much sense does it make to leave the #3 or #4 all time prestige program for the #1. OU has major recruiting advantages over Notre Dame being so close to Texas. I know Notre Dame has recruiting advantages too but OU's ability to take the top talent away from UT is keeping them dominant.

He would leave because he has lost momentum and wants to get out on his own terms before he is forced out. IF he went to Notre Dame he could probably dominate the state of Ohio in recruiting. OSU would probably see a big drop off as a result.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Alot of those guys are only 2 star because of character issues and academic issues. I have heard he has a reputation for bringing in thugs and not necessarily good at keeping them out of trouble either.

He has also had to clean up behavior problems from the Dantonio era. Speaking of which, Michigan State football players seem to have fights on campus every weekend, so I guess this issue is following Dantonio around...

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008

Sounds like a good fit for a big time program if you ask me.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
He has also had to clean up behavior problems from the Dantonio era. Speaking of which, Michigan State football players seem to have fights on campus every weekend, so I guess this issue is following Dantonio around...

and Kelly's players at his last stop killed a guy, so....

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

OU has no problems with this. And it's not a knock on them, just fact. Historically, they're fine with taking marginal character guys.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Pete Carroll....?

Well they did get "kicked around" this year, but I'd be shocked. IMO, Pete retires at USC or goes to the NFL. So far, he's told some attractive NFL opportunities "no thanks"...so methinks he retires in the land of the Trojans.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm sorry, but this is freakin hilarious....

Again, you have to wonder if this is as good as it gets for KF. From the looks of it, there could very well be some great jobs open up if the carousel gets started.

Or, he holds out hope for "another crack" at the potential Michigan job should they miss a bowl in 2010.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Why?

Ferentz does more with average talent than just about anyone else. There is a reason his name always comes up in NFL/Big-Name college job discussions.

Maybe not more than anyone else, but he's right up there. I know many laughed when there were rumors about him getting considered for the Michigan job.

I kinda wonder if he could have done better up there than Rich Rod. In fact, I'm pretty sure he would have fared better, to date at least.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
No, John Blake recruited tremendous, highly-ranked classes to OU prior to Stoops; he just couldn't coach them. The cupboard was stocked full for Bobby, and he even said that was a factor in his decision to come there.

I don't know where to find historic recruiting class rankings. Scout and Rivals only have them going back to 2002. But from 2002-2010, Stoops has only had one "dud" class. I would like to see numbers for John Blake. He was a solid recruiter, but I would really be surprised if Blake was anywhere near Stoops in class rankings when he was at OU...

year Scout Rivals
06.....7.... 9

Last edited:

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Kelly isn't a "Southern Boy". I just don't think it fits. He'd be better for Michigan or PSU or something like that, but I can't see him at a Southern school.

I think he falls on his face if he goes to OU. That's my opinion only.