CFB Playoff Discussion

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
In this day and age of "electronic footprint" and "TV markets," I can't imagine a worse decision than adding a second school (with a much, much smaller fanbase) in a state with <2 million people
Which is why I don't see us expanding. Not unless we are grabbing Power 5 teams.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I have no idea why the committee is even taking into consideration that a school plays in their conference championship game.

Sure, treat it like any other game on their schedule, fine, but don't give it any extra meaning. Ohio State's SOS still has to be considered weak even when you add on the championship game. They played in a horrible conference. So does winning your conference "championship" mean anything when your conference sucks? It shouldn't.

But the committee has already said that they will give more "points" or whatever it is that they assign, to the teams that have to play a conference championship game. Why? What does a win over Wisky really do for OSU? Wisky lost to Northwestern.... and barely beat Iowa. It's not that great of a win.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I have no idea why the committee is even taking into consideration that a school plays in their conference championship game.

Sure, treat it like any other game on their schedule, fine, but don't give it any extra meaning. Ohio State's SOS still has to be considered weak even when you add on the championship game. They played in a horrible conference. So does winning your conference "championship" mean anything when your conference sucks? It shouldn't.

But the committee has already said that they will give more "points" or whatever it is that they assign, to the teams that have to play a conference championship game. Why? What does a win over Wisky really do for OSU? Wisky lost to Northwestern.... and barely beat Iowa. It's not that great of a win.
This is where I was confused. I believe Reece Davis and the rest of the ESPN College Gameday team stressed that the playoffs were for the four best teams, not the four best conference champions (Because they were trying to lock Mississippi State in still). To their point, one would think both Baylor and TCU should be in no doubt if two teams lose Saturday.

I also believe their emphasis was placed on champions and not championship games necessarily so TCU should be fine. Even though the championship game provides an extra look at other conferences' teams they should realize the extra conference game is that same extra look at a Big 12 team because we didn't have a throw away game midseason vs Western Carolina like Alabama and those teams. Those extra non con cupcakes should not equal the same extra look of that of a conference game.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I also believe their emphasis was placed on champions and not championship games necessarily so TCU should be fine.

This is my understanding too, although this does not help TCU, because I saw that the committee wants to only consider one team as champion from each conference. So they would give Baylor the same bump that Oregon, Alabama, Florida State, and Ohio State got (assuming they win next weekend) but TCU would not get that bump.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
This is my understanding too, although this does not help TCU, because I saw that the committee wants to only consider one team as champion from each conference. So they would give Baylor the same bump that Oregon, Alabama, Florida State, and Ohio State got (assuming they win next weekend) but TCU would not get that bump.
This is correct. I think TCU is only helped on the standing that they have similar to Mississippi State previously in the 4 spot. If OSU loses and Florida State then TCU should be in on that notion, I would think, in the sense that they don't need a championship to get in.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If they want to add weight to teams who win a conference title, I don't have a big problem with that. Giving favoritism to conferences that have a title game over those that play round robin -- that is b.s.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
College GameDay is going to Waco for the Kansas State @ Baylor game this weekend.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
True enough, in theory. OSU's body of work is fairly pathetic again this year. Weakest team in the top 8 IMO, except for maybe FSU, who has the benefit of being undefeated. Does a committee feel more pressure to get B1G eyeballs for the playoff games? If they do, OSU > TCU.

They already propelled them over Baylor for beating MSU.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
If they want to add weight to teams who win a conference title, I don't have a big problem with that. Giving favoritism to conferences that have a title game over those that play round robin -- that is b.s.

The champion was how it was supposed to be but revisionist espn history and committee is making it about the game now.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
UAB or Southern Miss? I really don't want to jump on this train, but I think Marshall is a potentially better candidate. WVU proximity, fits geographically, same size as Baylor and the small schools, Huntington is similar size to Stillwater, Manhattan, and Ames, and they've shown recent athletic success.

But for the topic, the Big 12 is in as long as TCU and/or Baylor win out.

Well.... I guess per the other thread that UAB is out :wink:

My point is that the committee doesn't ding other conferences for weak lower and mid-tier teams. We don't necessarily need to add "good" teams. Just teams. We might as well look at weak teams to backfill the bottom tier of the conference that will spread the Big IIXII more into the southeast or Florida.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Well.... I guess per the other thread that UAB is out :wink:

My point is that the committee doesn't ding other conferences for weak lower and mid-tier teams. We don't necessarily need to add "good" teams. Just teams. We might as well look at weak teams to backfill the bottom tier of the conference that will spread the Big IIXII more into the southeast or Florida.

But I am unconvinced that the lack of a championship game hurts the Big 12 at all. In fact, if TCU and Baylor both end up in the playoff, the lack of a championship game could actually help the Big 12.

I agree about Florida though; if the Big 12 ever does expand, I have to think that UCF would be high on the list. UCF and UConn would be pretty solid adds at this point but only if we had to go to 12. I miss the expansion talk of a few years ago when Florida State and Clemson were in the mix for the Big 12.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Mizzou beats Bama, Arizona beats Oregon, GT beats Florida State, K-State beats Baylor, Wisconsin beats OSU, and we beat TCU!

1 - Arizona
2 - K-State
3 - Bama
4 - Michigan State

TEAM CHAOS!!!!

7b3ddc23d5711b3fd23de56f85f8cdb6-gif-glitch-13.gif

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
So I posted earlier that the playoff committee requested that the Big 12 submit one champion to them.

Sounds like Bowlsby is just not going to do it:

Big 12 Conference ‏@Big12Conference
Bowlsby: It is not the Big 12's prerogative to tell the committee who the best team in the league is or bind them in any way.

I think Baylor fans could rightly be ticked at this. "One True Champion"?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
This is different than what I had seen before, which said the committee wanted the Big 12 to submit one champion. Maybe what I saw before was just one member of the committee stating their personal preference.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
Don’t blame Big 12 for not designating 1 team as champ. @CFBPlayoff allowed them to have co-champs considered

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
If Iowa State beats TCU in the early game, the Big 12 will have a championship game on Saturday night on ESPN in Waco.

And if pigs fly, we will have more easily transportable bacon

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
ESPN's coverage of this has become a complete farce.

Kirk Herbstreit (Ohio State grad) and Joey Galloway (Ohio State grad) were the first people they had commenting just now on who should get the 4th slot if everybody wins on Saturday. Guess who they picked?

They aren't even trying to hide the bias anymore. They are openly campaigning for the chance to get OSU's massive fanbase into the playoff that they broadcast over smaller schools like TCU or Baylor.

Rece Davis also said that TCU has "pretty much a bye" this weekend, but it's harder to argue with that.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Herbstreit is such a homer.

All year long he wanted the committee to throw out OSU's loss against a horrible VTech team because they had a new QB playing. But TCU can't throw out their loss against a much better Baylor team because they got screwed on a late PI call in that game? What a d-bag homer.

TCU played a tougher schedule than Ohio State (even if you count the B1G Championship game), and their one loss was against a MUCH better team. And now OSU is down to their 3rd string QB. They should never get in.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron