CFB Playoff Discussion

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Getting closer to the Final Four being decided, with only one weekend of games left.

Here are the teams that look to still be in the running and who they are facing on Saturday, with their current rankings.

#2 Oregon: vs. #11 Arizona in Pac-12 Championship - 8:00pm Friday on FOX
#5 TCU: vs. Iowa State - 11:00am on ABC
#1 Alabama: vs. #17 Missouri in SEC Championship - 3:00pm on CBS
#7 Baylor: vs. #12 Kansas State - 6:45pm on ESPN
#3 Florida State: vs. #16 Georgia Tech in ACC Championship - 7:00pm on ABC
#6 Ohio State: vs. #14 Wisconsin in B1G Championship - 7:15pm on FOX

[Notice that one of these things is not like the others. Iowa State found a way to be one of a handful of teams playing in a relevant game on Dec. 6.]

If three or more of the teams above lose, who else might slide in? 10-2 Mississippi State? 11-2 Arizona, if they beat Oregon?

It should be a great weekend of football. I love how the three night games are staggered kickoffs so hopefully people can catch the end of all of them.

Who do you have?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I think Georgia Tech finally takes out Florida State, and Ohio State wins a sloppy, close game over Wisconsin, so they get left out due to Barrett's injury.

Once the committee realizes that TCU and Baylor are both in, they decide to give Baylor the better seed due to the head-to-head.

My guess for the first-ever semifinal round is:

#1 Alabama vs. #4 TCU
#2 Oregon vs. #3 Baylor

Alabama and Baylor advance to the title game. And I'd take Alabama to win it all.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The rankings this week will be:

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. FSU
4. TCU
5. Ohio State
6. Baylor

It will be interesting to see what happens with 4,5,6 as I think 1,2,3 all win next week. I think Wisconsin will beat OSU with Barrett out. The it will come down to TCU and Baylor. Baylor plays the better team in KSU, and beat TCU in head to head. I think Baylor sneaks in at #4 when its all said and done.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Bamas in regardless IMO. Hope we can get both TCU and Baylor in. TCU has a great shot to win it.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Probably TCU will be up to #4 in the playoff with MSU loosing today.

Now how bout if GT beats FSU in the ACC Champ game and Wis beats OSU in the Big Ten Champ game and then Baylor becomes #4 and TCU #3 if they both win next weekend. The Big 12 goes from possibily nobody in the Championship series to 2 teams in it.....

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Bamas in regardless IMO.

While I can't imagine this actually happening, I do wonder what the committee would do if Missouri beat Alabama next weekend.

I'm just glad that the SEC isn't getting two teams in. Now it looks like the only conference that even has a shot at getting two in is the Big 12.

And you know what? If the Big 12 had a championship game, and Baylor and TCU were in different divisions, this wouldn't be possible because one would have to lose next weekend. So the 10 team round-robin thing is already paying off.

Also, if the B1G gets left out (which looks entirely possible) Delany will be on the horn trying to get this thing expanded to 8 teams faster than you can say "New York City market."

Last edited:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Already seeing a ton of B1G media types saying that Ohio State absolutely should be in if they beat Wisconsin next week. The hype machine will be running at full speed to get a school with the name and prestige of OSU in the playoff over small schools like TCU or Baylor.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Kstate beats Baylor and ISU beats TCU. You heard it here first.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
FSU and tOSU fall. Opening the door for Baylor, who beats KSU and jumps in.

#1 Alabama vs. #4 Baylor
#2 Oregon vs. #3 TCU

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
It'd be very nice if this happened.

But neither of those are happening.

Bama struggles against teams with athletic QBs and they have a CB that can cover Cooper. FSU sucks and Oregon has struggled against upper level teams in bowl games.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think a lot depends on if Bryce Petty is able to play next week. Concussions are always tough to predict and I don't see them beating KSU without him. If Baylor does win I think they jump TCU to get in the forth spot.

Also, the tOSU situation shows the advantage of a committee over computers. Even if they beat Wisconsin, the committee has to look at that team without Barrett, and maybe take away the momentum they've built regardless of what happens Saturday.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron