Cat help!!!!

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
2. Tried discipline. I took the cat to where it did #2 and put its head near the stool said “noâ€￾ a couple times and took the stool and placed in the litter box.

I can't stop laughing at this. As someone who's been around cats his whole life even the mere notion of someone trying to teach their cat this way is the most absurd/hilarious thing I've heard today. I seriously can't stop laughing. :twitcy:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I can't stop laughing at this. As someone who's been around cats his whole life even the mere notion of someone trying to teach their cat this way is the most absurd/hilarious thing I've heard today. I seriously can't stop laughing. :twitcy:

Let's try and be a little more supportive here. :jimlad:

C

CyBer

I laughed a little at this as well. Cats are nothing like dogs, and don't care about anything.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
WHO radio has the pet lady come on Saturday morning around 8 am. She takes phone calls about pet problems. I think you can also reach her at the Animal Rescue League. Free advice from an expert. 515-262-9503 or website www.ARL-Iowa.org

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I did train my cat to get down off of things when I tell her. She had to play "cat in space" a couple times to get the idea, but then picked right up on it.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Unfortunately dude, I'm pretty sure you're screwed on this one. I have a cat that developed diabetes and started doing similar things. At least she confines hers to the bathroom where her litter box is, but once they get something in their head then that's what they're going to do. My only suggestion is to try the spray bottle full of water technique when you catch the cat in the act.

My family has done this to keep their cats out of the Christmas tree. I'd consider something bigger than a spray bottle, though. Something like a super soaker. It'll be more theraputic for you.

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
I'll be honest. I peed a little, then pooped a little. Maybe that's the problem? Is there something really funny (to a cat) near the litter box?

safmusic

May 30, 2006
I'll be honest. I peed a little, then pooped a little. Maybe that's the problem? Is there something really funny (to a cat) near the litter box?

We have a beagle puppy that is my daughter's, a gift from her boyfriend. You are welcome to borrow the dog. Besides being extremely friendly and lovable, he pees sometimes yet where not suppose to and , the big thing for you, is that he loves to eat cat poop. He would keep your house cleaned up and also because of that would take less dog food.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We have a beagle puppy that is my daughter's, a gift from her boyfriend. You are welcome to borrow the dog. Besides being extremely friendly and lovable, he pees sometimes yet where not suppose to and , the big thing for you, is that he loves to eat cat poop. He would keep your house cleaned up and also because of that would take less dog food.

Reduce, reuse, recycle. What could be greener?

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
After discovering that the family dog was eating cat crap, my father aptly dubbed the cats, "treat makers."

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Fellow CF’s I am looking for some advice on how to handle my cat problem. Here is the story.

Got the cat in December and had no issues until 1-2 weeks ago. My issue arrived after I let the cat into the basement and started slowly introducing a different type of cat litter into the litter box. The ratio of original litter to new litter never made it past ¾ original to ¼ new. At this time the cat decided to start going #2 at random locations throughout the house. Below is the order in which I tried to fix the issue.

1. Added another litter box for the cat so there is one on the first floor and one in the basement. I clean the litter box daily and completely dump and replace the litter every 1 to 1-1/2 weeks. The cat does #1 in both litter boxes but not #2

2. Tried discipline. I took the cat to where it did #2 and put its head near the stool said “no” a couple times and took the stool and placed in the litter box. The cat knows it is there because it has investigated the stool while it is in the litter pan. This didn’t work. I don’t know if this was the smartest thing because this is how my parent’s potty trained their dogs. While it worked for them they were dogs and not cats. I don’t know if you can even discipline cats….

3. Switched back 100% to the original litter in both litter pans. Hasn’t fixed the issue yet.

I don’t know how to address this problem and looking for help. I do not believe this is a medical issue because the stool is firm and the cat goes once a day. She eats all the food and I play with the cat constantly.

Thank you!

Step One: Get rid of the cat.

Alternate Step One: Make it an outdoor cat.

Seriously, I can't understand why people like to have animals living inside of a house with them for this exact reason. No matter what you do, they will always defecate in the house. I prefer my houses to be poop free and therefore animal free.

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Step One: Get rid of the cat.

Alternate Step One: Make it an outdoor cat.

Seriously, I can't understand why people like to have animals living inside of a house with them for this exact reason. No matter what you do, they will always defecate in the house. I prefer my houses to be poop free and therefore animal free.

Poop free house? Everybody poops.

Cytastic

Nov 25, 2011
Des Moines
I'm a psychologist trained in behavior modification and I assure you that you can use behavior modification techniques with pets, much like humans. My psychologist friend (we are an odd bunch) trained her cat to use a toilet by gradually fading away the litter box that she placed on top of the toilet until the cat used the toilet independently, no lie. So here is what I would recommend trying:

1. Rule out medical issues or new stressors in the cat's life. It's always important to find out what has changed in the cat's environment that could be contributing to this. It could very well be the change in the litter.

2. Reinforce the cat when they use the litter box to go number 1. You can do this by immediately giving the cat a treat. I would use a treat that the cat does not have access to at any other time during the day.

3. Restrict access to areas of the house where your cat has gone number 2. You may have to close your cat in the bathroom or another small room with the litter box, so that they are not tempted to go in other locations and so that they get used to going in the litter box again.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, hope it works out.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You modify the cartoon below for cats by changing what cats hear to just "blah blah blah" without their own name even being recognized.

Far-Side-cartoon-what-dogs-hear.jpg

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
I'm a psychologist trained in behavior modification and I assure you that you can use behavior modification techniques with pets, much like humans. My psychologist friend (we are an odd bunch) trained her cat to use a toilet by gradually fading away the litter box that she placed on top of the toilet until the cat used the toilet independently, no lie. So here is what I would recommend trying:

1. Rule out medical issues or new stressors in the cat's life. It's always important to find out what has changed in the cat's environment that could be contributing to this. It could very well be the change in the litter.

2. Reinforce the cat when they use the litter box to go number 1. You can do this by immediately giving the cat a treat. I would use a treat that the cat does not have access to at any other time during the day.

3. Restrict access to areas of the house where your cat has gone number 2. You may have to close your cat in the bathroom or another small room with the litter box, so that they are not tempted to go in other locations and so that they get used to going in the litter box again.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, hope it works out.

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking about doing #3 but wasn't sure about it. I was thinking this was going to be similar to disciplining the cat and figured the cat wouldn't give a rats behind.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Also, I am glad I am providing material for people to make jokes. Really is helping me become less frustrated. Thanks guys.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Also, I am glad I am providing material for people to make jokes. Really is helping me become less frustrated. Thanks guys.

You don't realize that the shooting the cat advice is not a joke, do you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron