Can Anyone Recommend a Good Family Lawyer?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
No recommendations but I hope things turn out well for you buddy. You are a good friend and your boys are lucky to have a dad like you.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Good luck to you. The thought of going through that makes me sick.
Dealt with it with a step daughter once and found it expensive and inefficient. Having to figure out how to deal with my own kids would be crushing even before the financial hit!

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Hmm, no experience myself, but William Shatner says good things about Hupy and Abraham....although, I think this was more injury, but the Shat man knows his stuff, so I mean, how can you go wrong?

On a serious note, check here:

http://iowafathers.org/about/default.html

Again, no personal experience, but a former co-worker mentioned these folks, they're all about fathers' rights.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
This guy is pretty good:

lionel-1.gif

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Do you have any idea if your ex would be amenable to what you want to do? Because a consent decree for the modification would go a lot easier and cheaper.

Reactions: Tony

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Do you have any idea if your ex would be amenable to what you want to do? Because a consent decree for the modification would go a lot easier and cheaper.

Yeah we will see. I'm pretty sure she wont want to do it until they're older.

She's also able to afford to stay at home with her new baby with the child support money coming in.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
My only advice is the more you and your ex can hash this out on your own the better. Once the courts get involved one or both of you may be very unhappy. Unless it's unavoidable, leaving these types of determination to a stranger (judge) can be dangerous.

When possible you want negotiation to be a collaboration, not a confrontation. My thoughts on negotiation is to try to figure out how to get the other person as much of what they want. The more you get them what they want, the more likely you will get what you want.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
My only advice is the more you and your ex can hash this out on your own the better. Once the courts get involved one or both of you may be very unhappy. Unless it's unavoidable, leaving these types of determination to a stranger (judge) can be dangerous.

When possible you want negotiation to be a collaboration, not a confrontation. My thoughts on negotiation is to try to figure out how to get the other person as much of what they want. The more you get them what they want, the more likely you will get what you want.

We will have to go to mediation before we go to court anyways. I want to talk to a lawyer first to find out what their thoughts are on my situation and to help me prepare for mediation.

Honestly, it's just a few more weekdays a month, but it will mean a lot to me, and them.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Good luck to you cyhiphopp. Those situations are never fun. If you don't have 50/50 custody now, and already pay child support, and you aren't a crackhead or deadbeat my experience says it can't hurt to try for more. A friend of mine just did after his ex got greedy so he took her to court and ended up getting 7 and 7 with half the child support!

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I am looking to get my custody arrangement for my kids updated and would appreciate a good recommendation.

Thanks!
Understand that lawyers are in business for one thing. Be careful in mistaking a one hour chat for anything other than the person on the other side of the desk trying to see how much money you have in the bank and what their chances are of getting it all.

Help Support Us

Become a patron