Campbell's impact on Big 12 is profound

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think fans have to be realistic about next year. ISU has had a lot of things go right this year along the way. Not taking anything away from the amazing play of these guys, but things have fallen ISUs way a lot this year. Zeb played pretty well yesterday, but he also threw two passes that should have been intercepted, one that potentially could have been a pick 6.

In addition, there is a lot of talent coming back next year, but a lot of the leaders will be gone. You have to be very impressed with how the senior class has lead the charge this year. Who besides DM will be a leader in 2018?

I think that the leaders next year will be Montgomery, Peavy, Lima and Spears.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Peavy is already a leader and this is DM's team next year without a doubt. I don't know the exact quote from Campbell on the seniors a couple weeks ago but it's clear the seniors are relied on to be leaders.

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t think fan expectations will be all that crazy. If we replicate a year similar to this year, people will be happy.

I hope we can just become KSU, bowl game eight years in a row, sprinkled in with maybe a 10 win season. I think Campbell is going to have consistent success here and the fan base may turn into the Qwaks demanding we make the playoffs every year or fire the coach.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I hope we can just become KSU, bowl game eight years in a row, sprinkled in with maybe a 10 win season. I think Campbell is going to have consistent success here and the fan base may turn into the Qwaks demanding we make the playoffs every year or fire the coach.
Last part I hope not. I have too good of a memory and know things would be worse. Hopefully everyone else would too.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
WVU has been running 3-3-5 for years.

Heacock is just better at it.

WVU's is a bit different if I recall correctly, because they stack the line-backers closer to the LOS in more of a run defense front than ISU. Could be wrong though. Does WVU's backend have different personnel with the amount of DBs and safeties? ISU gives a 3 safety look frequently. WVU may only have 2.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I think fans have to be realistic about next year. ISU has had a lot of things go right this year along the way. Not taking anything away from the amazing play of these guys, but things have fallen ISUs way a lot this year.

Not sure I agree with this on balance.

We won a road game against a team that's better than us in Oklahoma, and we lost a home game against a team we're probably better than in Texas.

We got some breaks to be able to beat a really good TCU team, and some breaks went the other way for us to lose in overtime to Iowa.

Kempt missed Ryen on a deep ball that, if executed, would have given us a 3 point lead with a few minutes to play at West Virginia. But we lost a close one.

And of course there is the Murdock dual possession INT to end the game against Oklahoma State. So we lost another close one.

I don't think overall we have gotten lucky to get to 7-4. We have probably about average luck and are still doing it anyway.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
What I'm most enthused about is the fact that 2/3 of the D-line are sophomores. Gives CMC a couple years to really develop/find replacements for Lima/Bailey. In years past when ISU had at least a formidable D-line, it meant 3/4 of them were seniors. Granted we'll miss Waggoner and Trent, but the foundation(Lima) and key accessory will return.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
WVU's is a bit different if I recall correctly, because they stack the line-backers closer to the LOS in more of a run defense front than ISU. Could be wrong though. Does WVU's backend have different personnel with the amount of DBs and safeties? ISU gives a 3 safety look frequently. WVU may only have 2.

They might be a little more rigid on personnel. I’m not really sure on that.

I just remember seeing that basic configuration from them going back to Big East days

Reactions: Omaha Cy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Of course he didn't invent the 3-3-5. Many teams use this in a prevent defense when they're nursing a lead late in the game. But Campbell is using it as a base defense in the Big 12, which is revolutionary (in the sense that no other team has been doing this). And it's been incredibly effective in the way he has administered it.

Other teams are taking notice, and soon those teams will change their offensive scheme, which is why I say Campbell is having a profound effect.
TT ran it during the Barnett/Jantz years. Didn't have the right people though.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

My goal for the program hasn't really changed. I'd be happy with 6-7 wins in most years, the occasional down year, and the occasional great year.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I think what makes it different is that they sit back and react out of the 3-3-5 rather than blitzing much.
Bingo. And that's easier said than done. Heacock has shown he's willing to sit back and get picked apart on underneath stuff and not send the extra pressure with few exceptions. That's what separates him from WVU...they're constantly sending extra guys.

Patterson at TCU is the same way. Sticks to base defense a lot with an occasional wrinkle thrown in of sending extra guys.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
I think fans have to be realistic about next year. ISU has had a lot of things go right this year along the way. Not taking anything away from the amazing play of these guys, but things have fallen ISUs way a lot this year. Zeb played pretty well yesterday, but he also threw two passes that should have been intercepted, one that potentially could have been a pick 6.

In addition, there is a lot of talent coming back next year, but a lot of the leaders will be gone. You have to be very impressed with how the senior class has lead the charge this year. Who besides DM will be a leader in 2018?

Someone who is already leading, Mr. Peavy.