Campbell turned down $68.5m NFL contract this off season

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
He also probably saw the social media attacks on the Prohm family
I hope there weren't any social media attacks on Prohm's family! If there were, that is sad.

Campbell is not naive, and knows that the coaching profession is merit based. Prohm was given more than enough chances to succeed and or stay. The last two years here wrote his epitaph. Everybody, especially coaches, understands that.

Last edited:

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I understand he was offered the job of King of the Planet with dominion over every living thing and untold riches. He said, nope, I want to stay at Iowa State, win championships and crush the hoks every year. Seems logical to me.

Reactions: bsaltyman and cytor

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I truly wonder what it would take for him to leave? Was it simply the kids he had coming back this year? I think he could say that year after year with all the recruits he brings in? Was it just not the right fit and he would do it if it was the Browns? That guy is hard to read.

Great question! If I had to pick one college job that would appeal to him the most...I would guess Notre Dame. Seems like a school that you could instill the "culture" thing and successfully recruit nationwide. In terms of the NFL...the Steelers (yes I am a fan) seem like a perfect fit. All would depend upon a lot of factors including timing I suppose...

• Agree
Reactions: Lyon309Cy

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
Oh, I agree...I just posted another post saying basically he seems very into developing young men and that seems very genuine and enjoyable to him...watch him on Senior day.

I liken it kind of to that awesome teacher that never wanted to become a principle...of that makes sense.

Except the pay between a teacher's salary and a principal's allows for a much more comfortable lifestyle. I am in this boat right now and while I love the work that I do, being able to not stress about paying bills is awfully enticing.

Reactions: CapnCy

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
First Google image hit after searching on, "Detroit Lions fan":
VSP4QJZS6NFXZBVC3YC4NXZL6I.jpg

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I don't even have words for this.

Either Campbell is waiting for something perfect... a true blue-blood in college football, most likely Ohio State or Notre Dame, or an NFL franchise that hasn't been ****** for decades with good leadership, management, and a franchise quarterback ready to go... or he's going to be ours forever.

The whole point is that Matt perceives IOWA STATE as a blue-blood job. He knows Iowa State has a president, AD, and fan base that shares his values, and he knows Iowa State has the most loyal fan base in the country (Lord knows we've proved that over the last four decades). He appreciates having an administration that's willing to provide he and his staff with all the resources and compensation they can possibly afford without the enormously high expectations that come with most jobs, especially the so called blue-blood jobs.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Holy cow!

Be careful what to believe. No one can verify this type of BS. Why not just start a rumor of 10 years for 20 million per year since no one can substantiate it anyway. Stafford was on his was out as QB, so that would have to make a big difference.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I hope there weren't any social media attacks on Prohm's family! If there were, that is sad.

Campbell is not naive, and knows that the coaching profession is merit based. Prohm was given more than enough chances to succeed and or stay. The last two years here wrote his epitaph. Everybody, especially coaches, understands that.

Lyndsey Fennelly mentioned the attacks on the family

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I truly wonder what it would take for him to leave? Was it simply the kids he had coming back this year? I think he could say that year after year with all the recruits he brings in? Was it just not the right fit and he would do it if it was the Browns? That guy is hard to read.
Or was it that he's hell bent on making Iowa State an annual powerhouse doing it his way and doesn't give a damn what anyone says or offers him.

ISU4NH

Aug 9, 2020
I would not be afraid of a "blue blood" that came calling. I'd worry more about another Iowa State situation in a P5 conference with a starving fan base...that's what would keep me up at night. If and when he goes anywhere, it just might be to a similar ISU situation. It appears to me that he's wired to create and grow something that hasn't been done before and we are fortunate that he chose ISU to show off this talent.

Starting over can be refreshing and stimulating for everyone concerned especially if a guy like Campbell can do it his way with no meddling from either the president of a school or the front office of a professional organization. There is a lot of pride, money and adoration that goes with helping an organization climb out of a hole especially when others have said it couldn't be done.

I built a business from the bottom up when people said it couldn't be done. Had offers from other places but turned them down because I liked the rebuild aspect.

I also worked at a consulting business that had hugely successful clients and struggling clients. There were people in that business who relished taking on the struggling clients because they could be a part of turning something around and there were account managers who liked accomplishing the perceived impossible.

• Useful
Reactions: t-noah

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
He thought that he could build Toledo into a midwestern Boise State. Jamie sold him on the vision that ISU is a better place to achieve not only for that plateau, but greater.

With all due respect, I can’t think of another P5 school with the combination of vastly underfulfilled history and yet fervent, incessant fan support out that that offers all the raw materials to build what he’s looking for.

But it does answer the question you asked, “Why did he leave Toledo”. It wasn’t because he ran out of “room for improvement”.
Again, I was replying specifically to the post saying " He doesn't define success by the number of wins or the size of the paycheck. He defines it by helping young men become the highest version of themselves. He believes the opponent is always yourself, not the team across the field. "

If that's true, he could do it at Toledo or anywhere else.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I would not be afraid of a "blue blood" that came calling. I'd worry more about another Iowa State situation in a P5 conference with a starving fan base...that's what would keep me up at night. If and when he goes anywhere, it just might be to a similar ISU situation. It appears to me that he's wired to create and grow something that hasn't been done before and we are fortunate that he chose ISU to show off this talent.

Starting over can be refreshing and stimulating for everyone concerned especially if a guy like Campbell can do it his way with no meddling from either the president of a school or the front office of a professional organization. There is a lot of pride, money and adoration that goes with helping an organization climb out of a hole especially when others have said it couldn't be done.

I built a business from the bottom up when people said it couldn't be done. Had offers from other places but turned them down because I liked the rebuild aspect.

I also worked at a consulting business that had hugely successful clients and struggling clients. There were people in that business who relished taking on the struggling clients because they could be a part of turning something around and there were account managers who liked accomplishing the perceived impossible.

He might see "growing" a program in terms of taking what Brian Kelly has built at ND and growing it into an Alabama type program where in August you can pencil them in for the playoffs? I agree that MC is a builder...but outside of Bama or maybe Clemson for the moment...any of the other programs could be "rebuilt" in a way that MC would see growth. Heck...USC isn't an embarrassment at all...but they have a lot of room for growth in terms of building the program.

I agree with you that MC does like to build...but he seems fascinated by taking on challenges...and my Notre Dame example is a challenge! That fan base creates a challenge by having ridiculous standards!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's generally a bad idea for anyone, a coach, or an AD, to guarantee they will NEVER leave or that the coach is there for LIFE. For multiple reasons.

1. It hurts your ability to negotiate, both ways. For things like assistant salaries, facilities upgrades... I know JP is actually pretty good about doing these things for CMC so far, but in general it's not a good tactic. If JP guaranteed he'd never fire CMC he'd be pretty obligated to give him whatever he wanted and any pressure from donors would be harder to handle. I don't see those things happened at ISU right now or any time soon, but in general not a good idea.

2. Things change. CMC seems to have a great relationship with JP, but what if JP retired or got a ridiculous amount of money to go to Wisconsins or something. CMC saying he's here forever might come back to bite him if the new AD ***** things up. Other factors can affect your willingness to stay even if you love it here now.

3. The curious case of Paul Rhoads. He looked like he was taking ISU to the levels CMC has actually taken them so far, JP gave him a 10 year contract, then the bottom fell out. I don't think CMC is going to collapse, but the AD has to make smart decisions in general.

Yeah I'm not saying he said it or that it means anything...just pointing out that I hadn't heard it.

He's good at not being concrete about it which really, is a smart thing to do for any employee if you think about it.

ISU4NH

Aug 9, 2020
He might see "growing" a program in terms of taking what Brian Kelly has built at ND and growing it into an Alabama type program where in August you can pencil them in for the playoffs? I agree that MC is a builder...but outside of Bama or maybe Clemson for the moment...any of the other programs could be "rebuilt" in a way that MC would see growth. Heck...USC isn't an embarrassment at all...but they have a lot of room for growth in terms of building the program.

I agree with you that MC does like to build...but he seems fascinated by taking on challenges...and my Notre Dame example is a challenge! That fan base creates a challenge by having ridiculous standards!
Excellent points. I wonder if he'd go with an "entitled" fan base with ridiculous standards. Combining ridiculous standards and entitlement might give someone pause.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Again, I was replying specifically to the post saying " He doesn't define success by the number of wins or the size of the paycheck. He defines it by helping young men become the highest version of themselves. He believes the opponent is always yourself, not the team across the field. "

If that's true, he could do it at Toledo or anywhere else.
Which would be the answer you got, from two different people.

What you seem to be rather obtusely avoiding is the simple fact that that isn’t his only goal.