Campbell turned down $68.5m NFL contract this off season

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I know you aren't serious but I threw up in my mouth a little...

giphy.gif

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
While ISU doesn't pay the BIGGEST money, it's better than Toledo as well. From the topic of this thread we know CMC is not all about the money, but there's a big difference between around 1M at Toledo and 4M at ISU. It would be like the Lions offering him 16M instead of 8. Harder to pass up.

The financial support of the program seems to be a HUGE thing for CMC as well. ISU has raised salaries for his assistants consistently. That means his guys stick around longer and he can do his best work as a coach. At Toledo with continued success he would lose assistants regularly. That's just how things go at that level. Everyone needs to build there resume so they can get a better job.

Matt noted the fan support at ISU when he took the job. I know there are great fans at Toledo, but these were the numbers for 2018:
"The University of Toledo finished No. 1 in the Mid-American Conference in home football attendance for the second consecutive season with an average of 21,352 fans per game in 2018, well above the MAC average of 15,532. The Rockets totaled 149,462"

CMC saw sellout crowds (or nearly) for Paul Rhoads to play a noncon game against Toledo. That has to have made think about what he could do with that kind of support. And he proved it 100%

SO many things go into decisions like these.

He also probably saw the social media attacks on the Prohm family

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
You have to take pretty much anything with a grain of salt but has he ever actually said he's here for the long haul?

I know there's been a 'you don't have to worry' type of talk but never anything definite.

Who knows what will happen. After the news tonight I was reminded that Pat Sajak has been doing Wheel of Fortun for almost 40 years.

Some people just like their gig.
Pat sajak makes $15 million a year filming wheel of fortune 48 days of the year. You would struggle to find someone who doesn't like that.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and cyfanatic

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
To some people, it’s not about the money.

So much this. If you're happy, valued, supported, and validated, the money becomes secondary. It feels like working with young men plays into his mission more than the almighty dollar. And, ffs, you'd have to work hard to spend $4 mil in a year in Iowa.

ISU4NH

Aug 9, 2020
Have you heard a word yet about this out of your HOK friends.? I haven't. Too soon?

I could say something and start a back and forth but I've already heard that the rating of the next HOK football recruiting class is higher than ours.

Reactions: Brandon

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
You have to take pretty much anything with a grain of salt but has he ever actually said he's here for the long haul?

I know there's been a 'you don't have to worry' type of talk but never anything definite.

Who knows what will happen. After the news tonight I was reminded that Pat Sajak has been doing Wheel of Fortun for almost 40 years.

Some people just like their gig.

It's generally a bad idea for anyone, a coach, or an AD, to guarantee they will NEVER leave or that the coach is there for LIFE. For multiple reasons.

1. It hurts your ability to negotiate, both ways. For things like assistant salaries, facilities upgrades... I know JP is actually pretty good about doing these things for CMC so far, but in general it's not a good tactic. If JP guaranteed he'd never fire CMC he'd be pretty obligated to give him whatever he wanted and any pressure from donors would be harder to handle. I don't see those things happened at ISU right now or any time soon, but in general not a good idea.

2. Things change. CMC seems to have a great relationship with JP, but what if JP retired or got a ridiculous amount of money to go to Wisconsins or something. CMC saying he's here forever might come back to bite him if the new AD ***** things up. Other factors can affect your willingness to stay even if you love it here now.

3. The curious case of Paul Rhoads. He looked like he was taking ISU to the levels CMC has actually taken them so far, JP gave him a 10 year contract, then the bottom fell out. I don't think CMC is going to collapse, but the AD has to make smart decisions in general.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I honestly don't think he wants a blue blood job. His blue collar culture rarely works in a program like that.

I don't think a blue-blooded program is incompatible with a quality culture.

Alabama is so dominant because it has the best athletes *and* the best culture around.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
With all due respect, if this is all true, why did he leave his last job? Was he not working with young men? Did he already have them at the highest version of themselves? My point is, he will leave eventually. Hopefully it's not for a long time but it will happen.
He thought that he could build Toledo into a midwestern Boise State. Jamie sold him on the vision that ISU is a better place to achieve not only for that plateau, but greater.

With all due respect, I can’t think of another P5 school with the combination of vastly underfulfilled history and yet fervent, incessant fan support out that that offers all the raw materials to build what he’s looking for.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I always wondered why Tom Osborne and Bill Schneider stayed put. they were both offered huge amounts of money to coach in the NFL. The politics, media and fans can really make life difficult for these coaches. why not stay put and retire on your terms and not have all the headaches of the Prima Donnas at that level.
Tom Osborne, another example of a Hall of Fame coach who stayed at one place (25 years at NE)! I'd forgotten about him!

We always bring up Bill Snyder, at least I do. He only coached at KSU for 25 years! 25 years, seemed much longer didn't it. There was that 4 year hiatus I suppose. Snyder, Kansas State University from 1989 to 2005, and again from 2009 to 2018!

I couldn't find Bill Schneider, haha.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I truly wonder what it would take for him to leave? Was it simply the kids he had coming back this year? I think he could say that year after year with all the recruits he brings in? Was it just not the right fit and he would do it if it was the Browns? That guy is hard to read.