Campbell Raise and Extension Watch

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I increased my donation from Cardinal to Gold this past year for a few different reasons - one of which was Campbell.

But let’s face it, it’s TV dollars and big donors that matter here not my $500 more per year.
Agreed, but you putting out the $500 in scratch makes you more likely to pay attention and potentially increase your support...and get your friends to support. Butts in seats are important too.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You have to pay him at LEAST as much as it would cost you to go hire another attractive candidate that can take ISU to bowls every year if CMC were to leave.

For example, if CMC were to leave, and you're going to have to fork out 4.5 to 5 million a year to pay another good coach to come here, then why not just pay CMC at least that or more right now?

If our assistants are near the bottom in pay for the Big 12, then I would think that needs to be addressed too, at least for the ones who are performing.... like Heacock, Viedt, etc. Some probably do not need a raise at the moment until they prove something... looking at OL and ST.

I really wish CMC would go get a good OC though this offseason. Our offense, by all the numbers, was atrocious this season. 104th out of 129 teams in Total Offense. IMO, that is not sustainable for continued success unless you can count on your defense being one of the best in the nation year in and year out, which I doubt we can count on.

And it's just so frustrating watching our offense too. We can't make the simple play calls, lack creativity, lack misdirection, lack a mid range passing game (everything is very short or a bomb), etc.

As the year went on, teams just blitzed us all the time, and we could still never make the simple adjustments that every team knows to make in order to beat the blitz. If I ever saw us beat a blitz by running Kolar or Allen on a quick slant right over the middle to where the blitzing LBs vacated, I think I'd lose my mind. I've never seen it. That is Football 101. Instead, we have Purdy drop back and try to scan the field with WR's running slow long routes, and then Purdy getting sacked or running for his life.

This offense needs something. Nothing real fancy, just even the basics would be nice to see next year.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You have to pay him at LEAST as much as it would cost you to go hire another attractive candidate that can take ISU to bowls every year if CMC were to leave.

For example, if CMC were to leave, and you're going to have to fork out 4.5 to 5 million a year to pay another good coach to come here, then why not just pay CMC at least that or more right now?

If our assistants are near the bottom in pay for the Big 12, then I would think that needs to be addressed too, at least for the ones who are performing.... like Heacock, Viedt, etc. Some probably do not need a raise at the moment until they prove something... looking at OL and ST.

I really wish CMC would go get a good OC though this offseason. Our offense, by all the numbers, was atrocious this season. 104th out of 129 teams in Total Offense. IMO, that is not sustainable for continued success unless you can count on your defense being one of the best in the nation year in and year out, which I doubt we can count on.

And it's just so frustrating watching our offense too. We can't make the simple play calls, lack creativity, lack misdirection, lack a mid range passing game (everything is very short or a bomb), etc.

As the year went on, teams just blitzed us all the time, and we could still never make the simple adjustments that every team knows to make in order to beat the blitz. If I ever saw us beat a blitz by running Kolar or Allen on a quick slant right over the middle to where the blitzing LBs vacated, I think I'd lose my mind. I've never seen it. That is Football 101. Instead, we have Purdy drop back and try to scan the field with WR's running slow long routes, and then Purdy getting sacked or running for his life.

This offense needs something. Nothing real fancy, just even the basics would be nice to see next year.

I know thinking is tough, but this offense will be just fine when the o line catches up.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I can't assess if special teams coach warrants scrutiny, since there was roster attrition at every position except Francis for kickoffs. And he's the only one who'll be gone next season. I had a feeling that unit might be the biggest question mark, even more than O-Line, just because of so many newcomers.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The 'fire everyone' approach sort of goes against a coach that seems to emphasize stability and consistency, doesn't it?

Improvement is needed, sure, but 8-4 in year 3 and an Alamo Bowl? Hell yeah.

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey

giphy.gif