Caleb Grill has been dismissed from team

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My thought was that Jaz might be concussed. That wasn't an acting job, he literally got a blindside elbow to the face that put him on the floor. As he started to figure out what was going on, the WV player was still standing on top of him, it is instinct to try to get the guy that just assaulted you away from you hence the appearance that he kicked him. I believe it was just a defensive reflex from a confused player. The WV player reaction instead of stepping back, he became an aggressor again, which is what triggered Grill. Watching it a dozen times in slow motion it is easy to judge, but in real time, I don't "blame" Jaz or Grill.
I remember Jeff Grayer getting thrown out of a game - against Missouri, I think. There was a ruckus starting on the floor and a guy was winding up to blind side cold **** one of his teammates and Jeff just laid the guy out. Johnny said it best, something like: "You try to tell these guys to not do something like that, but you really wouldn't want to play with a guy who didn't have your back like that."

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I just want the Fred level of working the refs. He didn't get a T, except the one he asked for in the tourney, and his guys were always calm although he was in the refs ear and showing displeasure with calls several times. The players can be calm, while the coach is still have a non-casual, non-Fran type, discussion with the ref.
TJ is constantly talking to the refs. Whichever ref is up on the sidelines gets a comment or two from TJ just about everytime down the floor. You don't have to act like a crazy man (Fran) to get your point across to the refs.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
I remember Jeff Grayer getting thrown out of a game - against Missouri, I think. There was a ruckus starting on the floor and a guy was winding up to blind side cold **** one of his teammates and Jeff just laid the guy out. Johnny said it best, something like: "You try to tell these guys to not do something like that, but you really wouldn't want to play with a guy who didn't have your back like that."
A ruckus? That was a fracas.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Wow.....so wild. Thinking back to the comments Grill made on that documentary type video....he spoke VERY highly of their relationship...but then again.....that also means probably WAY more expected of him.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Someone on here posted a few weeks ago that him sitting wasn’t just about his back and got mocked. Guy may have known something.

• Winner
Reactions: Acylum and I@ST1