Caleb Grill has been dismissed from team

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I don't need TJ to earn Ts, but its obvious in the big 12 that the types of refs we see are extremely susceptible to coaches who know how to work the refs. Huggins probably being the worst example. Like it or not, its become almost required to succeed and therefore Its an area of improvement for TJ IMO.
Huggins was working the refs before the game, all throughout the game, during time outs etc... When you have an opposing coach like that on the other sideline, TJ needs to do something. I'm not saying saying get a T, but he needs stand up for his guys in some way. For example, there were a couple of really cheap ones called on Gabe. It took him out of the game, on his senior day. Like Larry E. said, the fans buy tickets to watch the players, not the refs. The thing about the cheap ones that sent our leading scorer to the bench is, they could have called those exact same type of fouls on the other end and let it go. That cheap as fk foul on the 3 they called Lipsey, was that even a foul? TJ needed to raise hell on that, he can't let his team be a pissing post for these officials.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thats Holmes, but he gets bludgeoned in the lane and rarely gets a call.

He's streaky and the handle becomes an issue. He doesn't get the call if he doesn't really dictate the space, i.e. defenders can stay in position.

Loved him trying to get in and find something the last two games though with not much else working out.

Reactions: CascadeClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Let’s not just single out Grill…. this entire team does not play smart at all. And it costs them lots of games. Basketball IQ for this team is pretty low.

Fwiw…. same goes for the football team too. It’s very frustrating as a fan to watch.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
I personally had zero problem with Grill’s T last night. His teammate took a hard elbow to the chops then the WV guy stood overtop of Jaz with his fists clenched. I would’ve been more upset if someone didn’t shove the WV guy, or at the very least got in his face. That’s what teammates do.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don’t think he was bad on D. Just wish he’d keep his composure. Have to wonder if he doesn’t do that things might play out differently.
Several times his help defense was stand there and swipe at the ball. Probably just the injury factor but he had some bad moments defensively.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I personally had zero problem with Grill’s T last night. His teammate took a hard elbow to the chops then the WV guy stood overtop of Jaz with his fists clenched. I would’ve been more upset if someone didn’t shove the WV guy, or at the very least got in his face. That’s what teammates do.
Grill losing his cool cost us the game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Grill losing his cool cost us the game.

There were other things but that was a big deal in the moment that had a domino effect a bit.

As someone else said, if he just talked at the WV player a bit, likely no T. Getting physical put it over the edge.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
There were other things but that was a big deal in the moment that had a domino effect a bit.

As someone else said, if he just talked at the WV player a bit, likely no T. Getting physical put it over the edge.
And here's the thing: getting physical will draw a T in that scenario 100% of the time no matter the situation. What Grill did is always a T.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
And here's the thing: getting physical will draw a T in that scenario 100% of the time no matter the situation. What Grill did is always a T.
It sure does but at times it could rally your team too. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t as pissed about Grill doing that as I was jaz not making hi FTs.

Even after that whole sequence ISU got back up 7.

I would be more ok with grill if he backed up his talking but lately he hasn’t been.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It sure does but at times it could rally your team too. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t as pissed about Grill doing that as I was jaz not making hi FTs.

I would be more ok with grill if he backed up his talking but lately he hasn’t been.
It gifted WVU free points.

Reactions: Acer88

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa

My thought was that Jaz might be concussed. That wasn't an acting job, he literally got a blindside elbow to the face that put him on the floor. As he started to figure out what was going on, the WV player was still standing on top of him, it is instinct to try to get the guy that just assaulted you away from you hence the appearance that he kicked him. I believe it was just a defensive reflex from a confused player. The WV player reaction instead of stepping back, he became an aggressor again, which is what triggered Grill. Watching it a dozen times in slow motion it is easy to judge, but in real time, I don't "blame" Jaz or Grill.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
I don't think a lot of people would have a problem with last nights action on its own. Its the pattern of losing his cool that is a bit problematic. If anyone else on the team would have gotten a technical in last nights circumstance most fans would have been OK with it.