Caleb Grill has been dismissed from team

85clone

Jan 2, 2010
So nothing can ever be said definitely but today it sure looks like it was the former. But it doesn't surprise me. I've seen it before. A kid that is causing problems goes and the other kids who have never caused any problems finally feel like the coaches have their back instead of the back of the kid who's causing problems. The announcer just said they are stunned because for the whole game they've talked about that this dismissal thing was such an adversity. In fact it's just the opposite. The adversity was removed.
Addition by subtraction.

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
Thank you ! I’m so sick of naive ISU fans acting like their **** don’t stink. Good Lord, Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy are two of our coaching legends. And these same fans loved those teams, players, and coaches when we were winning.

It’s hilarious seeing them getting on their high horse acting like we are the one pristine, perfect BIg 12 school, and they just couldn’t handle cheering for one of those other programs. In the end, it’s all just a weird defense mechanism.
That is not what many of us are saying. For my part, I don’t recall saying we have never done anything wrong. Instead, I prefer we focus on running a clean program and developing good young men. I absolutely want to win but not by sacrificing those other elements. Not sure what is wrong with that.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Addition by subtraction
Maybe, but if so, from a behind the scenes perspective.

I got the feeling we played better because of addition by addition. TJ showed some confidence by playing everyone.

Thought the play of Watson and King was a big positive. Even minutes for Eli, Ward and Hawley took edge off a week where there was probably a lot of outside noise for players.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Maybe, but if so, from a behind the scenes perspective.

I got the feeling we played better because of addition by addition. TJ showed some confidence by playing everyone.

Thought the play of Watson and King was a big positive. Even minutes for Eli, Ward and Hawley took edge off a week where there was probably a lot of outside noise for players.

It was interesting listening to TJ after the game. He was asked about playing more guys today and why he did it. He basically said why wouldn't you play them since they've been practicing well and all of that. Obviously that's pretty much all he can say, but I'd like to know what the difference was today. They've been practicing all year and not playing all year. It seems odd that all 3 of them had practiced like crap for most of the year and then this week started practicing better.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

That's encouraging to see.

The idealistic part of me says this: Caleb's situation may have caused distraction, but largely because teammates are concerned on a personal level, not because of specific behavior, game performance or bad team chemistry. His personal challenge hasn't caused dissension, perhaps team empathy has indirectly led to lack of focus.

I could be entirely wrong, of course.

I won't try to read anything bigger into how today's game went, that could've been coincidental or who knows what.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Yep, he could have said about this matter that is private by law: Caleb and the program have decided to go separate ways, he's no longer a member of the team. Now, let's talk about Baylor
Sorry that you’re naive and clueless but when a starter leaves the team in March you don’t want to create any bad perception for the program. So what you do is exactly what we did do and say that the player was asked to leave.

Reactions: agentbear

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It was interesting listening to TJ after the game. He was asked about playing more guys today and why he did it. He basically said why wouldn't you play them since they've been practicing well and all of that. Obviously that's pretty much all he can say, but I'd like to know what the difference was today. They've been practicing all year and not playing all year. It seems odd that all 3 of them had practiced like crap for most of the year and then this week started practicing better.
Never happy with the answer you get, always expecting more, don't understand TJ is going to take the high road and stay positive. Sometimes I think you're my wife's secret account.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Never happy with the answer you get, always expecting more, don't understand TJ is going to take the high road and stay positive. Sometimes I think you're my wife's secret account.

Read into what you want. It was a comment, not a criticism. It's interesting to me why the change was made this game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Sometimes the light goes on late for players or team chemistry or whatever and with a sudden change like this past week you interject some different approaches within the general plan.

It screwed Baylor up but doesn't mean it's the go-to from here on out.

Likely not much more than that and none of it means they 'practiced like crap' most of the season.

Reactions: jsb

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Maybe he played a bunch of guys because it was another way to bring the team together after a tough stretch. Give everyone an opportunity to contribute on the floor. Find energy in a lot of different places. He didn’t give guys that haven’t played much high leverage minutes this game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Maybe he played a bunch of guys because it was another way to bring the team together after a tough stretch. Give everyone an opportunity to contribute on the floor. Find energy in a lot of different places. He didn’t give guys that haven’t played much high leverage minutes this game.

It had strong 'we're here with a purpose but what the hell, let's **** around a little too because this is also something we all love doing' vibes.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and trevn

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Blum tweeted that this was the first time ISU beat a top 10 team by double digits on the road.

Ever.

I wonder if that will ever be allowed to be enjoyable.

I'm enjoying it a ton! I've already rewatched the game.

Reactions: NWICY and madguy30

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron