Cael Sanderson Offered PSU Job

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Re: From someone who doesn't follow wrestling....

With all of that said, it shouldnt be so hard to get those penn kids to come to iowa. Sure, its quite a distance, but to wrestle for a powerhouse and a legendary coach is a dream come true for most.

True, but if you could wrestle for a legend and create a powerhouse while staying close to home, in-state tuition, possibly at parents' alma mater, etc? Not hard to see the appeal for a Penn HS wrestler.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Re: From someone who doesn't follow wrestling....

Thank you for the in-depth response. When it comes to college wrestling, Iowa & Iowa St instanly come to my mind, if not for anything else, for the tradition and that they are known nationally as having a strong wrestling program.

As they should. Penn State certainly does not have the tradition there is out here. But Iowa high schools are not the hotbed they used to be, at least compared to out there.

Big12Cy

Jan 13, 2008
I wonder if this is more about dollars available to the program than dollars available to the coach position.

I can't find anything about what the ISU wrestling budget is, but I suspect that it is low due to being a lower revenue sport.
From what I understand, wrestling is much more popular in Pennsylvania which would lead me to believe they might be able to invest more in the program.

Anyone have the facts around budgets?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Makes you wonder: In 6 years....

5 bowl games
2 bowl wins
Eddie Robinson Classic
1 Womens Sweet 16
2 Big XII Basketball Championsips
2 NIT Final 4's
3 NCAA M&W Basketball Appearances
#2 ranking in Wresting
Hired Cael as Special Assitant and supported him in his drive to the Gold Medal.

5 bowl games - Not his hire.
2 bowl wins - Not his hire.
Eddie Robinson Classic - Not his doing.
1 Womens Sweet 16 - Not his hire.
2 Big XII Basketball Championsips
2 NIT Final 4's
3 NCAA M&W Basketball Appearances
#2 ranking in Wresting - Not his hire.
Hired Cael as Special Assitant and supported him in his drive to the Gold Medal.
I will stop there....the man got a raw deal.

basically you got Larrys success out of BVD.

Reactions: DaddyMac

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
And as much as it pains me to out a member... Nobody here wants to hear your opinion anymore BVD, please find something better to do with your time than try and re-write your legacy at ISU on a message board.

The only difference between you and a dog humping a stranger is that every once in a while the dog finds somebody that enjoys it.

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
....I wouldn't be more surprised if I woke tomorrow morning with my head sewn to the carpet......:confused:....seriously though, wtf Cael?....you just **** all over the people who loved you.....whatever pollard did or did not do doesn't change that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron