Cael Sanderson Offered PSU Job

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston
Dear boy er tidbit "THAT THREAD SHOULD HAVE BEEN STARTED A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO"!!!!!!!

The little bookkeeper has gotta go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew! I was worried the you were in a ditch somewhere. I am still ever so scared for MontyBurns. Can we get the cops to check on him?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Thats easy to answer...to be heard over all the kool aid drinkers who love LOSING!!!!!!

You're thicker than I thought. No one loves losing. No one. Period. Your level of mental incompetence if you truly believe that just reinforces the idea that your posts need to be taken with a dump truck of salt.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Thats easy to answer...to be heard over all the kool aid drinkers who love LOSING!!!!!!

Again, who brought Cael in as a head coach? He took heat from those that liked BD. So he was a bad AD for doing that, and also bad for this?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
That being said, I have concerns as it relates to JP's relationships with the non-revenue sports if the rumors are true. However, these situations usually have at least three sides to every story and when things break down, it typically involves adults reverting to acting like children on a playground whose feelings get hurt and instead of talking things through, they each go their separate ways and tell people around them how bad the other person is.

You know - I've been trying to figure out your handle forever. Finally got it and feel dumb for not realizing earlier.... except for "l".

Anyway, I don't know what rumors you are speaking about. But I don't get why people are so up in arms about JP if Cael leaves. If the rumors about what PSU is putting on the table - I call Cael a moron for not at least entertaining the overtures. May even call him that if he turns them down.

CJ seems happy in volleyball, but honestly I don't know how long we can keep her. Softball and soccer appear to be on the rise. I realize KJ left and that sucks for more than just her coaching ability :)wink:). But how much do you put into a program that is nothing but an expense?

I want all the programs at ISU to do well. But our pockets are only so deep.

Again, unless you are hearing something more specific.....

Edit - I missed Jeremy's post about "building tensions". Not sure what those could be. As pointed out Cael is the highest paid coach in the country - which I have to say is pretty good for a guy who has won 3 conf, but no national hardware. I have no desire to lose him, and maybe it'd be appropriate to up his salary or extend his contract a bit. But if this is a play to hold ISU hostage for serious cash - not playing that game.

Not sure what else he could want? Bigger budget - that may have some validity. They wrestle in Hilton, have essentially their own facility in the Lied Center that is also getting renovated, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: chadm

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
From someone who doesn't follow wrestling....

What does Penn St have that Iowa St doesn't have? Surely there cann't be an "arms race" like what there is in college football.

Is it more money? As big as wrestling is in this state, i'm sure it wouldn't be hard for Pollard to find some boosters to open their check books.

Does Penn St have more tradition that Iowa St when it comes to wrestling?

As most of you know, i'm a Nebraska fan, but even I was stunned when I heard the news this morning of Cael interviewing at PSU.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Re: From someone who doesn't follow wrestling....

What does Penn St have that Iowa St doesn't have? Surely there cann't be an "arms race" like what there is in college football.

Is it more money? As big as wrestling is in this state, i'm sure it wouldn't be hard for Pollard to find some boosters to open their check books.

As most of you know, i'm a Nebraska fan, but even I was stunned when I heard the news this morning of Cael interviewing at PSU.

$

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Again, who brought Cael in as a head coach? He took heat from those that liked BD. So he was a bad AD for doing that, and also bad for this?

Like they say Jamie Pollard is a bad AD but he's a great book keeper ...We at ISU are making money under the Pollard regime & I think that is great...Its just the losing that I cant stand!!!!:sad:

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Like they say Jamie Pollard is a bad AD but he's a great book keeper ...We at ISU are making money under the Pollard regime & I think that is great...Its just the losing that I cant stand!!!!:sad:

That makes sense as Jamie Pollard is an accountant by trade. He working in Accounting prior to working in athletics.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
We need an update from Jeremy as to what he is hearing....

IDK. I'd assume what Jeremy has to offer would be only a guess. He's said a couple of different things, as has everybody. I just think it's hard to know.

Maybe Cael keeps going back and forth on it, or perhaps the PSU rumor mill is just really active with this.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO

I think part of the appeal, in addition to the obvious one ($$$), is recruiting. Pennsylvania and surrounding areas are hotbeds for stud HS wrestlers. Especially, Penn., Ohio, NY, arguably have more blue chip wrestlers coming out than IA. Look at how Ohio State has come out of nowhere to be a national contender.

Another part of it is that local recruitment in this state gets split with another powerhouse school, Iowa. Not that that should be an excuse (obviously IA is doing well), but certainly makes things more difficult. Not that Brands has the same resume as Sanderson, but not far off of it and is considered a legend in this state as well.

One more thing not mentioned is that having a superstar name as a coach may pull more weight somewhere other than ISU. I think, because people are so used to seeing him around here, they are maybe less "star struck", whereas his image may seem bigger somewhere less familiar with him. And he would still probably pull IA kids to PSU.

I think by combining the $, recruitment potential, and reputation, it wouldn't take long for PSU to be at the top of the nation. That said, I hope he decides to stay. Losing Cael would be a huge punch in the stomach not only to the wrestling program, but emotionally to the University and fanbase.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA

I think part of the appeal, in addition to the obvious one ($$$), is recruiting. Pennsylvania and surrounding areas are hotbeds for stud HS wrestlers. Especially, Penn., Ohio, NY, arguably have more blue chip wrestlers coming out than IA. Look at how Ohio State has come out of nowhere to be a national contender.

Another part of it is that local recruitment in this state gets split with another powerhouse school, Iowa. Not that that should be an excuse (obviously IA is doing well), but certainly makes things more difficult. Not that Brands has the same resume as Sanderson, but not far off of it and is considered a legend in this state as well.

One more thing not mentioned is that having a superstar name as a coach may pull more weight somewhere other than ISU. I think, because people are so used to seeing him around here, they are maybe less "star struck", whereas his image may seem bigger somewhere less familiar with him. And he would still probably pull IA kids to PSU.

I think by combining the $, recruitment potential, and reputation, it wouldn't take long for PSU to be at the top of the nation. That said, I hope he decides to stay. Losing Cael would be a huge punch in the stomach not only to the wrestling program, but emotionally to the University and fanbase.
I think the possibility of being star struck by a wrestler outside of Iowa is a rarity. Unless, of course, it's one of the Ultimate Warriors.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin

Especially, Penn., Ohio, NY, arguably have more blue chip wrestlers coming out than IA. Look at how Ohio State has come out of nowhere to be a national contender.

tOSU is becoming a powerhouse because (hate to say it) tom ryan is a great coach and a good recruiter.

Any one of those states have more blue chips than Iowa; Pennsylvania probably has multiple times more.

With all of that said, it shouldnt be so hard to get those penn kids to come to iowa. Sure, its quite a distance, but to wrestle for a powerhouse and a legendary coach is a dream come true for most.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny

Thank you for the in-depth response. When it comes to college wrestling, Iowa & Iowa St instanly come to my mind, if not for anything else, for the tradition and that they are known nationally as having a strong wrestling program.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA

tOSU is becoming a powerhouse because (hate to say it) tom ryan is a great coach and a good recruiter.

Any one of those states have more blue chips than Iowa; Pennsylvania probably has multiple times more.

With all of that said, it shouldnt be so hard to get those penn kids to come to iowa. Sure, its quite a distance, but to wrestle for a powerhouse and a legendary coach is a dream come true for most.

These days recruits want to be shown so much love, they think they are entitled to it. I am guessing Tom Ryan can make it to more high school meets in PA than Cael can..

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO

I think the possibility of being star struck by a wrestler outside of Iowa is a rarity. Unless, of course, it's one of the Ultimate Warriors.

Regardless of if you're into wrestling or not, most people are pretty impressed with an undefeated record and an Olympic gold medal. And if you are into wrestling, you probably would be star struck to a certain extent.

Of course, maybe you just forgot this :jimlad: