BYU wants in the Big 12

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Exactly. Their perception of themselves is grander than reality. We have already had "those members" in the conference.....

BYU's perception when they went independant:

rich-man-dating.jpg

The real picture they're starting to see:

th

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For awhile, I was concerned with only having 10 teams. And, I know it's really only been a couple of years and "the jury's still out" on whether it will work long term. However, I am perfectly content with the way it's set up now and have no issues with it staying that way.

That said, if ND came along with BYU, I'd be just fine with that. I know it won't happen, but that's really the only way I see BYU getting an invite.

agreed and the only reason I think it's still remotely possible is how we're already set up to have school specific tv networks on day 1, BYU already has it, ND could have a LHN type thing quite easily. BYU would be flying all over the place even in the MWC so travel is little concern to them…ND's ACC deal is a little better geographically than the Big 12 would be but Florida and Georgia aren't exactly close trips for the swim team.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Kind of think if BYU joined, it would have been good to keep Colorado. Let Boise St or someone else go PAC-12. Would have made a little sense geographically & added (actually kept) a state with decent population & #'s of TV sets (Denver & greater area, etc), and whoopin' them the past couple years would have been fun. Still curious if they think the PAC-12 move was the proper one.

Hindsight, Louisville was definitely the one that should have been pinned down. Interesting, in looking at the link from another thread showing the total revenues for college athletic departments, Louisville is quite high (18th - higher than KU & Ok St), West Virginia is pretty high (33rd), ISU's is higher than Colorado (50th vs 53rd), and BYU is not listed (I assume because it is private) - but would have to be considered to be pretty high.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Kind of think if BYU joined, it would have been good to keep Colorado. Let Boise St or someone else go PAC-12. Would have made a little sense geographically & added (actually kept) a state with decent population & #'s of TV sets (Denver & greater area, etc), and whoopin' them the past couple years would have been fun. Still curious if they think the PAC-12 move was the proper one.

Hindsight, Louisville was definitely the one that should have been pinned down. Interesting, in looking at the link from another thread showing the total revenues for college athletic departments, Louisville is quite high (18th - higher than KU & Ok St), West Virginia is pretty high (33rd), ISU's is higher than Colorado (50th vs 53rd), and BYU is not listed (I assume because it is private) - but would have to be considered to be pretty high.

When the very first Nebraska rumor broke I was actually kind of intrigued to replace them with BYU and keep rolling. Obviously that soured when Colorado quickly followed and all H broke lose the next year.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
UCF before BYU. They're on the rise and just won a BCS bowl (against our champion no less). They have those rich Orlando recruiting spots. It might also open the door to FSU and possibly Clemson leaving the ACC to get into a better football conference.

Only problem is finding a partner for UCF, maybe USF to make the deal even sweeter?

Hmmm. Hadn't thought much about UCF. However, I spend a lot of time in Florida and UCF is a hot brand there. If I had my choice, I would take FSU, but I'm getting intrigued about the UCF possibility. Central Florida is a national center because of the entertainment industry and retirement communities (of rich old farts with disposable income and gaming interests, not nursing home types). They tend to go big in Orlando.

Edited to add the sweetness of the recruitment potential. It would be great to be playing games in Texas and Florida . . . during the season, not just during our upcoming bowl run.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
If the NCAA rules that you still need 12 teams to play a conference championship game, we'll add two schools, IMO. If they change the rules and allow us to play a conference championship with our current 10 team format, I bet we stand pat.

A championship game would need to generate at least $60M of additional annual revenue in order to justify adding two schools and that likely isn't going to happen.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The difference between WVU and Louisville is simple, it is like Iowa vs. Iowa State. Louisville will always be a school that is supported by alumni, and a very small regional base, where the other is a "state" or large regional brand. Like it or not, it is the truth. People from Kentucky are Kentucky fans, unless they or their children went to Louisville.

One other big difference between WVU and Louisville. Louisville is a commuter school as is UCF, WVU is not. Louisville is the first and only commuter school to be in a P5 conference.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I don't understand why everyone assumes that two schools need to be added if the conference expands. If BYU makes financial sense, but no other school does, then just add BYU. The Big Ten worked with 11 schools for a really long time, so the precedents and blueprints are already available.

I think the 9 conference football games is here to stay so I don't see 11 schools happening.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
One other big difference between WVU and Louisville. Louisville is a commuter school, WVU is not. Louisville is the first and only commuter school to be in a P5 conference.

What other commuter schools can match their combined football/basketball revenue and attendance? No blue blood power conference schools including Kentucky can touch their basketball #s. They're a unique case in several ways.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't think it's disrespectful of their beliefs to say that the conference doesn't want to have rework everything to accommodate them.

I agree. I worded that poorly. I only talked about respecting their beliefs to head off the "There is no God so screw BYU and the horse they rode in on." comments. Either they offer enough that a league is willing to accept them as they are and make a few accomodations or it isn't worth it and the league doesn't invite them. I agree with KC on that count.

I don't disagree. As I stated earlier I'm fine with BYU having that policy if that is what they believe. I know when the whole realignment stuff exploded, BYU stood behind that belief and policy. For many different reasons, BYU did not get picked up by a major conference. It appeared to me at the time that BYU really thought they had a lot to offer and would be a valuable pick up to any major conference. Now it appears they are panicking a bit and realizing that they may indeed be left in the dark. My hypothetical question: If BYU were approached by any major conference, but the inviting conference would not abide by the Sunday policy, would BYU accept now?

That is a good question. My guess is that they have too much on the line from their world wide Mormon support to jeopardize it over something as trivial as football and basketball even if the programs are in dire straits. They will alienate a hell of a lot of their supporters if they give in on that tennant now. Again, just my guess.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
One other big difference between WVU and Louisville. Louisville is a commuter school as is UCF, WVU is not. Louisville is the first and only commuter school to be in a P5 conference.

What defines a commuter school? Percentage of students living on campus?

University of Louisville has a total undergraduate enrollment of 15,727, . . . At this school, 27.2 percent of the students live in college-owned, -operated, or -affiliated housing and 72.8 percent of students live off campus.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/iowa-state-university-1869/student-life

Iowa State University has a total undergraduate enrollment of 25,555, . . . At this school, 34 percent of the students live in college-owned, -operated, or -affiliated housing and 66 percent of students live off campus.

So, is Iowa State a commuter school?

Louisville calls itself a "metropolitan university."

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I understand this from a competitive standpoint, but none of that matters. You have to understand if from a TV contract standpoint. How much additional money would the Big 12 get by adding UCF? I would venture to guess $5 Million at most, which means each school in the Big 12 takes nearly a $1.5 Million pay cut to have UCF in the Conference. It would never get approved.

Yes unless we had the big 10 model of a conference wide network it wouldn't make sense. Our model requires brands their model requires households in the area. They don't care if they are fans. We are going for eyeballs on national games. West Virginia, BYU, Louisville, TCU, Cincinatti, UConn, USF, UCF were attractive to us in this order imo. We took TCU because we could do so fast and they were relatively valuable for our model (already switching conferences). West Virginia was easily the next best option. BYU or Louisville was next but we tapped on the breaks and the ACC snatched them up to prevent us from doing so in a defensive posture.

BYU already has its own television network and it is national (part of my package on dtv) they want to keep some games on their like texas. Difference being it's a religious channel and Mormons would demand without football so it doesn't add a lot of value for them to have football more than a game or 2. So makes sense for them to want the B12.

Honestly the only way this makes sense is if we had a conference channel or we could add 25 million a year from a conference championship and each school added 10 million in value in expanded content volume. I think BYU does but nobody else out there does and I don't think a conference championship adds 25 million. Hence it isn't worth it to expand.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I agree. I worded that poorly. I only talked about respecting their beliefs to head off the "There is no God so screw BYU and the horse they rode in on." comments. Either they offer enough that a league is willing to accept them as they are and make a few accomodations or it isn't worth it and the league doesn't invite them. I agree with KC on that count.

That is a good question. My guess is that they have too much on the line from their world wide Mormon support to jeopardize it over something as trivial as football and basketball even if the programs are in dire straits. They will alienate a hell of a lot of their supporters if they give in on that tennant now. Again, just my guess.

I actually have a lot of respect for the Mormon families I know who truly live the not working on Sundays thing. In college I had a mormon coworker and a baptist coworker who both said they could not work on Sundays for religious reason. The Mormon kid's family all stayed at home cleaning the house, reading, cooking and relaxing together. The baptist kid that wouldn't work sundays would come in, sit at the bar and have the rest of us cook and serve him food, then go stroll the mall and catch a movie. This always struck me as pretty hypocritical since society would fall apart if even 30% of people expected to live that way with personal heathen servants working for them one day a weak.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
What defines a commuter school? Percentage of students living on campus?

University of Louisville has a total undergraduate enrollment of 15,727, . . . At this school, 27.2 percent of the students live in college-owned, -operated, or -affiliated housing and 72.8 percent of students live off campus.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/iowa-state-university-1869/student-life

Iowa State University has a total undergraduate enrollment of 25,555, . . . At this school, 34 percent of the students live in college-owned, -operated, or -affiliated housing and 66 percent of students live off campus.

So, is Iowa State a commuter school?

Louisville calls itself a "metropolitan university."

But most of the rest live apartments and houses and aren't from Ames. Louisville I would wager has part time and local kids taking classes living at home.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny

I tend to agree with you, but it would be interesting if morality or greed wins in this situation. Let's face it college sports have nothing to do with sports anymore and everything to do with greed. Sports drives universities. However BYU probably fairs better than most universities financially do to the Mormon aspect/support.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I think they need to add byu and another school. Having to play every team in the conference is hurting it's teams in football and not having a conference championship is even worse for the conference. I like the 10 team conference, but if they don't add a couple more teams they may get left behind

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think they need to add byu and another school. Having to play every team in the conference is hurting it's teams in football and not having a conference championship is even worse for the conference. I like the 10 team conference, but if they don't add a couple more teams they may get left behind

Back in the day, having a championship game - a game that could knock one of your teams out of a big bowl - was touted as a disadvantage for the Big 12 that a lot of other leagues didn't have to deal with. Now that they do and ISU doesn't have the championship game the league is disadvantaged by not having one?

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny

I understand what you are saying and although we do not have a championship game, we are the ONLY conference with a true conference champion because of the round robin schedule. No championship game is needed for the 10 team conference. That is fairly determined throughout the season.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I think the BigXII missed their best chance for expansion when they didn't pickup Louisville. Louisville and BYU would have been 2 worthy additions. Now we are looking more at a scenario where if we picked up BYU we would also have to pick up an additional, less attractive school to make 12 schools. I can't think of any other quality schools out there (other that Notre Dame, but that ship has sailed).

I do agree that BYU has a pretty good market and could bring in some viewers/money to the table. They even have their own TV channel! However, scheduling would be a bit*h!
Louisville isn't even the top school in their own state! They are a fad and we all know what happens to fads.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron